Dr Yi Ng
NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer (Neurology)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01912088325
- Address: Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research
Cookson Building (4th Floor)
The Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an adult neurology trainee and recently have been appointed as an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Neurology.
MBChB (Hons), University of Aberdeen (2007)
MRCP (UK) (2011)
PhD, Newcastle University (2016)
Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh
Association of British Neurologists
ResearchMy primary research interest is in defining the clinical phenotype of mitochondrial disease caused by different genetic mutations (both mitochondrial DNA and nuclear genes) based on observational cohort studies. A number of my research findings have been directly translated into the clinical management guidelines. I worked as a clinical research fellow on developing the MRC Mitochondrial Disease Patient Cohort and completed my PhD study under the supervision of Dr Robert McFarland, Prof Sir Doug M Turnbull and Professor Robert W Taylor between Aug 2013 and February 2017.
Stroke-like episodes and refractory focal seizures are one of the most devastating clinical manifestations in mitochondrial disease. Currently, I am planning to investigate further the underlying mechanisms of stroke-like episodes and focal seizures in vivo, and hopefully, this would lead to an earlier recognition of this disease entity and more effective treatment
- Rocha MC, Rosa HS, Grady JP, Blakely EL, He L, Romain N, Haller RG, Newman J, McFarland R, Ng YS, Gorman GS, Schaefer AM, Tuppen HA, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM. Pathological mechanisms underlying single large-scale mitochondrial DNA deletions. Annals of Neurology 2018, 83(1), 115-130.
- Sommerville EW, Ng YS, Alston CL, Dallabona C, Gilberti M, He L, Knowles C, Chin SL, Schaefer AM, Falkous G, Murdoch D, Longman C, De Visser M, Bindoff LA, Rawles JM, Dean JCS, Petty RK, Farrugia ME, Haack TB, Prokisch H, McFarland R, Turnbull DM, Donnini C, Taylor RW, Gorman GS. Clinical features, molecular heterogeneity, and prognostic implications in YARS2-related mitochondrial myopathy. JAMA Neurology 2017, 74(6), 686-694.
- Martikainen MH, Grady JP, Ng YS, Alston CL, Gorman GS, Taylor RW, McFarland R, Turnbull DM. Decreased male reproductive success in association with mitochondrial dysfunction. European Journal of Human Genetics 2017, 25(10), 1162-1164.
- Ng YS, Taylor RW, Schaefer AM. Diabetes Mellitus in Mitochondrial Disease. In: Frontiers in Diabetes. S. Karger AG, 2017, pp.55-68.
- Ng YS, Powell H, Hoggard N, Turnbull DM, Taylor RW, Hadjivassiliou M. Novel POLG variants associated with late-onset de novo status epilepticus and progressive ataxia. Neurology Genetics 2017, 3(5), e181.