- Books on Time
- Desktop Delivery Service
- E-Print Repository
- Friends of the Library
- Inter-Library Loans
- Law Library
- Library Guides
- Library Help
- Library Search (catalogue)
- Opening hours
- Print Services
- Reading Lists
- Research information
- Special Collections
- Walton Library
Scientific Data can be defined as a body
of facts, information, or knowledge, particularly when
derived from scientific observation or experimentation
(Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology).
In this section we have included links to large collections of Scientific data, as well as to sites which give Physical constants and formulae. You will find links to more sites at http://bubl.ac.uk/link/p/physicaldata.htm and http://bubl.ac.uk/link/c/chemicaldata.htm .
- The National Physical Laboratory has a website listing Units of Measurement, such as Time, Length, Mass, Electric current, Thermodynamic temperature, Amount of substance, Luminous intensity.
- A Dictionary of Units by Frank Tapson provides a summary of most of the units of measurement to be found in use around the world today (and a few of historical interest), together with the appropriate conversion factors needed to change them into a 'standard' unit of the S.I.
- SOS Mathematics tables and Formulae provides maths help and standards tables and formulae.
- The National Physical Laboratory has produced a booklet called Fundamental Physical Constants which gives the latest values of basic constants and conversion factors recommended by CODATA.
- US National Institute of
Standards and Technology
- The NIST Chemistry WebBook provides users with easy access to chemical and physical property data for chemical species through the internet. The data provided in the site are from collections maintained by the NIST Standard Reference Data Program and outside contributors. NIST Physics Laboratory Physical Reference Data. This collection is particularly strong in data of relevance to spectroscopy.
- The NIST Physical Reference Data site includes an elemental data index, spectroscopic data and nuclear and condensed matter physics data
- Databases of Physical Constants.
- HEASARC (High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center) provides access to the catalogues and astronomical archives of the HEASARC. Catalogues include data from all astronomical regimes, but the emphasis of the archive is data from high-energy astrophysics satellites.
- The National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC) provides access to a wide variety of astrophysics, space physics, solar physics, lunar and planetary data from NASA space flight missions, in addition to selected other data and some models and software.
- CODATA The International Council of Scientific Unions' Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) has a server giving details of its activities in improving the quality, reliability, processing, management and accessibility of scientific data.
- Fuel Property Data The Fuel Property Database includes data on physical, chemical, operational, environmental safety and health properties. Available through the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Transportation Technologies.
- ESDU provides validated engineering design data, methods and software that form part of the design process for industry professionals.
- Knovel brings science and technology reference data to life in a virtual library that solves problems for engineers, applied scientists and librarians worldwide. This data is enhanced with analytical tools to help analyze and manipulate the data.