The Hindson-Reid Collection of 900 engraved woodblocks, deposited in 1964 and formerly used by Messrs. Hindson & Andrew Reid Ltd. (now Elanders Hindson) and earlier firms, illustrates local printing for nearly 200 years. There are in addition two other groups of local woodblocks: those cut for the Newcastle Society of Antiquaries' Lapidarium Septentrionale (1875), which were deposited by the Society in 1964, and a number of Joseph Crawhall blocks. See Frances M. Thomson, "A Newcastle Collection of Woodblocks", Book Collector, 17 (1968), 443-457 and Frances Thomson and John Philipson, "Dr. J.C. Bruce and the Reid Collection of Engraved Woodblocks", Archaeologia Aeliana, N.S. 4, O.S. 47 (1969), 147-166.
This collection contains: Miscellaneous items