Dr Per Berggren
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5676
- Address: School of Marine Science & Technology, Newcastle University
Room 5.90, 5th floor, Ridley Building 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
My research area is conservation and management of marine mega-fauna populations. The research includes all fields of basic biology and ecology of marine mammals and elasmobranchs, and applied science where I develop and test new methods to address anthropogenic threats such as fisheries bycatch. The aim is to find practical solutions to marine mega-fauna conservation problems. My research focuses on populations of harbour porpoises, dolphin species, humpback whales, grey seals and several species of elasmobranchs.
Associate Professor, Marine Ecology, Stockholm University, 2002-2010.
PhD, Stockholm University, 1995. Dissertation: Stocks, status and survival of harbour porpoises in Swedish waters.
BSc, Honours degree in Marine Biology, Stockholm University, 1989.
Head of the Marine Mammal Research Group
Department of Zoology, Stockholm University
SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Examples of research activities:
1. Field and laboratory analyses to monitor marine mega-fauna populations
I am involved in developing and using line transect and photographic identification methodology to study distribution, abundance and population size of cetaceans (porpoises, dolphins and whales). I conduct research to determine population structure using both biological and ecological markers (skull morphometrics, DNA analyses and pollutants). I also investigate the growth, reproduction and ecology of small cetaceans using biological data and stomach contents analyses. I am further involved in research studying behaviour of dolphins.
2. Develop low-cost methods to assess and mitigate anthtropogenic effects from fisheries and tourism activities on marine mega-fauna populations (incorporating socio-economic issues).
The research involves both to identify the scale and impact of bycatch and to develop mitigation measures to solve the bycatch problem (e.g. low cost testing acoustic alarms on gillnets). The research is focussed on harbour porpoises in European waters, and several dolphin species, humpback whales and elasmobranchs in East Africa. I also study the potential effects from dolphin tourism activities on local populations of Indo-Pacfic bottlenose and humpback dolphins off Zanzibar and work on creating a sustainable dolphin tourism activity in this area.
1. Conservation biology and ecology of the harbour porpoise, white-beaked dolphin, grey seals and other marine mammals in the North Sea and adjacent waters.
2. Conservation biology and ecology of marine mega-fauna populations (bottlenose, humpback and spinner dolphin, and humpback whales) off Zanzibar, East Africa.
3. Conservation biology and ecology of sharks and other elasmobranchs off Zanzibar, East Africa.
Member IUCN Species Survival Commission, Cetacean Specialist Group 2004-present.
Scientific advisor Marine Mammal Education and Research Programme at the Institute of Marine Sciences, University of Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar 1998-present.
Editorial board member International Journal of Oceans and Oceanography 2006-2007.
Chair of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) Sub-Committee on Bycatch and other human induced mortalities to cetaceans 2001-2006.
Head of Swedish Delegation, IWC, Scientific Committee, 1997-2006.
Government appointed delegate Swedish Scientific Council for Biodiversity, 2000-2004.
MST1102 Diversity and Behaviour of Marine Animals
MST1104 Marine Study Skills
MST2102 Physiology, Reproduction and Adaptation of Marine Animals
MST3102 Advanced Marine Zoology
MST3104/05 Research Project: Marine biology/Zoology
MST3107 Research Project Overseas
Current postgraduate students
Andrew Temple, PhD
Reconciling food security with elasmobranch conservation in the Western Indian Ocean
Robert Hunt, MPhil
Abiotic and biotic factors affecting grey seal population dynamics on the Farne Islands, UK
Matt Sharpe, MPhil
Megafauna bycatch mitigation in the Western Indian Ocean
Liangliang Yang (visiting PhD student, Xiamen University)
Bio-acoustic research of marine mammals
Dr Ben Burville
Behavioural ecology of white-beaked dolphins and greys seals
Past postgraduate students
William, Jolly, MPhil
Occurrence and ecology of sharks in Zanzibar, Tanzania
Andrew Temple, MPhil
Temporal variations in the distribution and behaviour of Menai Bay Conservation Area dolphins, Zanzibar, East Africa
Contact me to discuss potential undergraduate, MSc and PhD projects.
- Song Z, Zhang Y, Wang X, Wei C, Berggren P. Comparison of acoustic structures between heads of a narrow-ridged finless porpoise fetus and its mother. Journal of Mammalogy 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Chandler JF, Burn D, Berggren P, Sweet MJ. Influence of Resource Availability on the Foraging Strategies of the Triangle Butterflyfish Chaetodon triangulum in the Maldives. PLoS One 2016, 11(3), e0151923.
- Brierley AS, Clapham PJ, Baker CS, Baulch S, BegonaSantos M, Berggren P, Brownell JrRL, Castro CA, Charrassin JB, ChasquiVelasco L, Cooke J, Currey R, Gallego P, GallettiVernazzani B, Herr H, Ivashchenko YV, Lauriano G, Leaper R, Mangel M, Marcondes MCC, deOliveiraLuna F, Panigada S, Reeves SA, Ridoux V, Ritter F, RodríguezFonseca J, Roel BA, Rosenbaum H, Scheidat M, Simmonds M, Stachowitsch M, Wade P. Japan’s whaling is unscientific. Nature 2016, 529(7586), 283-283.
- Kiszka J, Quod J-P, Berggren P. Sharks and rays: A field guide to common elasmobranchs of East Africa. Zanzibar, Tanzania: Western Indian Ocean Marine Association (WIOMSA), 2016.
- Temple AJ, Tregenza N, Amir OA, Jiddawi N, Berggren P. Spatial and Temporal Variations in the Occurrence and Foraging Activity of Coastal Dolphins in Menai Bay, Zanzibar, Tanzania. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(3), e0148995.
- Temple A, Berggren P. Acoustic monitoring of the temporal and spatial occurrence of odontocetes off Blyth, Northumberland. School of Marine Science and Technology (MAST), Newcastle University, 2015.
- Song Z, XU X, Dong J, Xing L, Zhang M, Liu X, Zhang Y, Li S, Berggren P. Acoustic property reconstruction of a pygmy sperm whale (Kogia breviceps) forehead based on computed tomography imaging. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2015, 138(5), 3129–3137.
- Urian K, Gorgone A, Read A, Balmer B, Wells RS, Berggren P, Durban J, Egushi T, Rayment W, Hammond PS. Recommendations for photo-identification methods used in capture-recapture models with cetaceans. Marine Mammal Science 2015, 31(1), 298–321.
- Hammond PS, Gillespie D, Lovell P, Samarra F, Swift R, Macleod K, Tasker ML, Berggren P, Borchers DL, Burt L, Paxton CGM, Canadas A, Desportes G, Donovan GP, Gilles A, Lehnert K, Siebert U, Gordon J, Leaper R, Leopold M, Scheidat M, Oien N, Ridoux V, Rogan E, Skov H, Teilmann J, Van Canneyt O, Vazquez JA. Large scale surveys for cetaceans: Line transect assumptions, reliability of abundance estimates and improving survey efficiency - A response to MacLeod. Biological Conservation 2014, 170, 338-339.
- Broudic M, Voellmy I, Dobbins D, Robinson S, Berggren P, Laing S, Blake L, Radford A, Lepper P, Pace F, Neves S, Simpson S, Bruintjes R. Underwater noise emission from the NOAH's drilling operation at the NaREC site, Blyth, UK. In: 2nd International Conference on Environmental Interactions of Marine Renewable Energy Technologies. 2014, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
- Hammond PS, Macleod K, Berggren P, Borchers DL, Burt L, Cañadas A, Desportes G, Donovan GP, Gilles A, Gillespie G, Gordon J, Hiby L, Kuklik I, Leaper R, Lehnert K, Leopold M, Lovell P, Øien N, Paxton CGN, Ridoux V, Rogan E, Samarra F, Sheidat M, Sequeira M, Siebert U, Skov H, Swift R, Tasker ML, Teilmann J, VanCanneyt O, Vázquez JA. Cetacean abundance and distribution in European Atlantic shelf waters to inform conservation and management. Biological Conservation 2013, 164, 107-122.
- Mendez M, Jefferson TJ, Kolokotronis S-O, Kruetzen M, Parra GJ, Collins T, Minton G, Baldwin R, Berggren P, Särnblad A, Amir OA, Peddemors VM, Karczmarski L, Guissamulo A, Smith B, Sutaria D, Amato G, Rosenbaum HC. Integrating multiple lines of evidence to better understand the evolutionary divergence of humpback dolphins along their entire distribution range: a new dolphin species in Australian waters?. Molecular Ecology 2013, 22(23), 5936-5948.
- Amir OA, Berggren P, Jiddawi NS. Recent records of marine mammals in Tanzanian waters. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 2012, 12(2), 249–253.
- Gridley T, Berggren P, Cockroft VG, Janik VM. Whistle vocalizations of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins(Tursiops aduncus) inhabiting the south-west Indian Ocean. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2012, 132(6), 4032-4040.
- Sveegaard S, Teilmann J, Berggren P, Mouritsen KN, Gillespie D, Tougaard J. Acoustic surveys confirm high density areas of harbour porpoises found by satellite tracking. ICES Journal of Marine Science 2011, 68(5), 929-936.
- Mendez M, Subramaniam A, Collins T, Minton G, Baldwin R, Berggren P, Särnblad A, Amir OA, Peddemors VM, Karczmarski L, Guissamulo A, Rosenbaum HC. Molecular ecology meets remote sensing:environmental drivers to population structure of humpback dolphins in the Western Indian Ocean. Heredity 2011, 107(4), 349-361.
- Sarnblad A, Danbolt M, Dalen L, Amir OA, Berggren P. Phylogenetic placement and population structure of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) off Zanzibar, Tanzania, based on mtDNA sequences. Marine Mammal Science 2011, 27(2), 431-448.
- Minton G, Collins TJQ, Findlay KP, Ersts PJ, Rosenbaum HC, Berggren P, Baldwin RM. Seasonal distribution, abundance, habitat use and population identity of humpback whales in Oman. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management (Special Issue) 2011, 3(Special Issue on Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whales), 185-198.
- Christiansen F, Lusseau D, Stensland E, Berggren P. Effects of tourist boats on the behaviour of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins off the south coast of Zanzibar. Endangered Species Research 2010, 11(1), 91–99.
- Wiemann A, Andersen LW, Berggren P, Siebert U, Benke H, Teilmann J, Lockyer C, Pawliczka I, Skóra K, Roos A, Lyrholm T, Paulus KB, Ketmaier V, Tiedemann R. Mitochondrial Control Region and microsatellite analyseson harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) unravel populationdifferentiation in the Baltic Sea and adjacent waters. Conservation Genetics 2010, 11(1), 195-211.
- Mwevura H, Amir OA, Kishimba M, Berggren P, Kylin H. Organohalogen compounds in blubber of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus) and spinner dolphin (Stenella longirostris) from Zanzibar, Tanzania. Environmental Pollution 2010, 158(6), 2200-2207.
- Carlström J, Berggren P, Tregenza NJC. Spatial and temporal impact of pingers on porpoises. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2009, 66(1), 72-82.
- Berggren P. Whales and dolphins: A field guide to marine mammals of East Africa. Norwich: East Publishing Limited, 2009.
- Berggren P, Wang JY. The Baltic harbour porpoise and the precautionary principle in conservation: a response to Palme et al. Oryx 2008, 42, 489.
- Stensland E, Berggren P. Behavioural changes of nursing female Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins in response to boat based tourism. Marine Ecology Progress Series 2007, 332, 225–234.
- Berggren P, Amir OA, Guissamulo A, Jiddawi NS, Ngazy Z, Stensland E, Särnblad A, Cockroft VG. Sustainable Dolphin Tourism in East Africa. Zanzibar: Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA), 2007. WIOMSA Book Series 7.
- Stensland E, , Carlen I, Sarnblad A , Bignert A , Berggren P. Population size, distribution and behavioral ecology of Indo-Pacific bottlenose (Tursiops Aduncus) and humpback (Sousa Chinensis) dolphins off the south coast of Zanzibar. Marine Mammal Science 2006, 22(3), 667-682.
- Amir OA, Berggren P, Ndaro SGM, Jiddawi NS. Feeding ecology of the Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus) incidentally caught in the gillnet fisheries off Zanzibar, Tanzania. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2005, 63(3), 429-437.
- Gillespie D, Berggren P, Brown S, Kuklik I, Lacey C, Lewis T, Matthews J, McLanaghan R, Moscrop A, Tregenza N. Relative abundance of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from acoustic and visual surveys in the Baltic Sea and adjacent waters during 2001 and 2002. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 2005, 7(1), 51-57.
- Sargeant B, Mann J, Berggren P, Krutzen M. Specialization and development of beach hunting, a rare foraging behavior, by wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.). Canadian Journal of Zoology 2005, 83(11), 1400-1410.
- Amir OA, Jiddaw NS, Berggren P. The Occurrence and Distribution of Dolphins in Zanzibar, Tanzania, with Comments on the Differences Between Two Species of Tursiops. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 2005, 4(1), 85–93.
- Krutzen M, Sherwin WB, Berggren P, Gales NJ. Population structure in an inshore cetacean revealed by microsatellite and mtDNA analysis: bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.) in Shark Bay, Western Australia. Marine Mammal Science 2004, 20, 28-47.
- Börjesson P, Berggren P, Ganning B. Diet of harbour porpoises in the Kattegat and Skagerrak Seas: Accounting for individual variation and sample size. Marine Mammal Science 2003, 19, 38-58. In Preparation.
- Stensland E, Angerbjörn A, Berggren P. Mixed species groups in mammals. Mammal Review 2003, 33, 205-223.
- Clapham PJ, Berggren P, Childerhouse S, Friday NA, Kasuya T, Kell L, Kock K-H, Manzanilla S, diSciara G, Perrin WF, Read AJ, Reeves RR, Rogan E, Rojas-Bracho L, Smith TD, Stachowitsch M, Taylor BL, Thiele D, Wade PR, Brownell RLJr. Whaling as science. Bioscience 2003, 53, 210-212.
- Carlström J, Berggren P, Dinnétz F, Börjesson P. A field experiment of acoustic alarms pingers) to reduce harbour porpoise by-catch in bottom set gill-nets. ICES Journal of Marine Science 2002, 59, 816-824.
- Hammond PS, Berggren P, Benke H, Borchers DL, Buckland ST, Collet A, Heide-Jørgensen MP, Heimlich-Boran S, Hiby AR, Leopold MP, Øien N. Abundance of harbour porpoise and other cetaceans in the North Sea and adjacent waters. Journal of Applied Ecology 2002, 39(2), 361-376.
- Berggren P, Wade P, Carlström C, Read AJ. Potential limits to anthropogenic mortality for harbour porpoises in the Baltic region. Biological Conservation 2002.
- Amir OA, Berggren P, Jiddawi NS. The incidental catch of dolphins in gillnet fisheries in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 2002, 1, 155-162.
- Andersen L, Ruzzante DE, Walton M, Berggren P, Bjørge A, Lockyer C. Conservation genetics of harbour porpoises, Phocoena phocoena, in eastern and central North Atlantic. Conservation Genetics 2001, 2, 309-324.
- Connor RC, Heithaus MR, Berggren P, Miksis J. “Kerplunking”: surface fluke-splashes during shallow-water bottom foraging by bottlenose dolphins “Kerplunking”: surface fluke-splashes during shallow-water bottom foraging by bottlenose dolphins. Marine Mammal Science 2000, 16, 646-653. In Preparation.
- Brownell RL, Tillman MF, NotarbartolodiSciara G, Berggren P, Read AJ. Further scrutiny of scientific whaling. Science 2000, 290, 1696.
- Karlson K, Ishaq R, Becker G, Berggren P, Broman D, Colmsjö A. PCBs, DDTs and methyl sulphone metabolites in various tissues of harbour porpoises from Swedish waters. Environmental Pollution 2000, 110(1), 29-46.
- Berggren P, Ishaq R, Zebühr Y, Näf C, Bandh C, Broman D. Patterns and Levels of Organochlorines (DDTs, PCBs, non-ortho PCBs and PCDD/Fs) in Male Harbour Porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from the Baltic Sea, the Kattegat-Skagerrak Seas and the West Coast of Norway. Marine Pollution Bulletin 1999, 38(12), 1070-1084.
- Stensland E, Berggren P, Johnstone R, Jiddawi N. Marine mammals in Tanzanian waters: urgent need for status assessment. Ambio 1998, 27, 771-774.
- Wang J, Berggren P. Mitochondrial DNA analysis of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) to identify populations in the Baltic Sea, the Kattegatt-Skagerrak Seas and the North Sea. Marine Biology 1997, 127, 531-537.
- Börjesson P, Berggren P. Morphometric comparisons of harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) skulls from the Swedish Baltic and Skagerrak Seas. Canadian Journal of Zoology 1997, 75, 280-287.
- Smolker R, Richards A, Connor R, Mann J, Berggren P. Sponge Carrying by Dolphins (Delphinidae, Tursiops sp.): A Foraging Specialization Involving Tool Use?. Ethology 1997, 103, 454-465.
- Westgate A, Read A, Berggren P, Koopman H, Gaskin D. Diving behaviour of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) in the Bay of Fundy. 1995.
- Berggren P, Arrhenius F. Sightings of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) in Swedish waters before 1990. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue) 1995, 16, 99-107.
- Berggren P. Bycatches of the harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) in the Swedish Skagerrak, Kattegat and Baltic Seas 1973-1993. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue) 1994, 15, 211-215.