Dr Simon Benson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 5863
- Address: School of Marine Science and Technology
I am a lecturer in naval architecture and undergraduate admissions tutor for marine technology.
I graduated from Newcastle University with an MEng Naval Architecture degree (first class). After working in industry for BMT Fluid Mechanics and IHC Engineering Business I returned to Newcastle andcompleted a PhD investigating the structural performance of aluminium high speed ships. I then
continued post doctoral research investigating the influence of large scale damage
on the residual strength of lightweight ships. Both my PhD and post
doctoral work were sponsored by the Office of Naval Research. The work has resulted in the release of a progressive collapse code (ProColl)
which is now incorporated into the commercial ship structural analysis
program MAESTRO and is used by the US Navy amongst others. I was appointed as a lecturer at Newcastle University in October 2012.
Teaching and Learning
I teach aspects of engineering fundamentals, naval architecture and marine structures. In addition to lecturing, I am the undergraduate admissions tutor for both Newcastle and Singapore marine technology programmes. I am also the undergraduate stage 1 tutor. I am often involved in outreach programmes to promote STEM subjects including Smallpeice and Headstart courses.
Structural Performance of Damaged Naval Vessel (funded by ONR). 2012-2016
Prof Bob Dow, Dr Simon Benson
We are investigating ways to extend and improve the simplified progressive collapse method for the treatment of different load combinations (such as shear and torsion) and severe damage. The project is funded by the Office of Naval Research and follows directly from a previous programme. The project supports two PhD students (Maria Syrigou and May Leelachai). Principle Investigator is Prof. Bob Dow.
Polymer Failures on Superyacht Structures (KTP Partnership with Safinah). 2013-2016
The project aims to investigate the performance of epoxy based fillers which form the smooth outer layers of luxury yachts. The project is a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Safinah, a marine coatings specialist consultancy. We are using finite element methods and will validate with material and structural tests. The project supports a KTP associate, Maria Prodromou, who is also studying towards a PhD. Principle Investigator is Prof. Bob Dow.
Launch and Recovery of Subsea Vehicles (KTP Partnership with SMD). 2014-2016
Dr Simon Benson, Dr Musa Bashir, Dr Alan Murphy
We are investigating the fluid-structure interaction during the launch and recovery of a subsea vehicle (ROV). The project is a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Soil Machine Dynamics, one of the world's leading manufacturers of remote intervention equipment. We are specifically interested in the behaviour of the ROV as it passes through the free surface in different wave conditions. The project aims to develop an improved method for estimating the motion of the ROV and the subsequent loads on the launch and recovery system (LARS). The research involves numerical modelling and scaled experiments in the hydrodynamic laboratories at Newcastle University. The project supports a KTP associate, Dr Musa Bashir.
Structural Design Guidelines for Search and Rescue Craft (funded by RNLI). 2014-2017
Prof Richard Birmingham, Dr Simon Benson, Prof Bob Dow, Federico Prini
This project is supported by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. The research addresses the structural design of all-weather search and rescue craft. The main aim is to provide the RNLI with new practical and theoretical expertise to improve the design, operation and maintenance practice of its all-weather lifeboats. The current status of the RNLI’s all-weather search and rescue fleet will be evaluated in terms of design, actual hull loads experienced and consequent structural response. A computational model for the prediction of the hull loads that the craft is likely to experience in its lifetime will be developed. The response of the structure to the calculated loads will be analysed by means of a numerical model based on finite element method. The validity and predictive accuracy of the numerical model will be assessed through extensive comparison with model-scale and full-scale tests.
- Marine Mechanics (Stage 1)
- Materials in the Marine Environment (Stage 1)
- Marine Structures (Stage 2)
- Engineering Applications (Stage 2)
- Ship / Small Craft Design (Stage 3)
- Advanced Marine Structures (Stage 4 / MSc)
- Benson SD, Collette MD. Finite Element Methods and Approaches. In: Encyclopedia of Maritime and Offshore Engineering. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2017.
- Prini F, Benson SD, Dow RS. The Effect of Laminate, Stud Geometry and Advance Coefficient on the Deflection of a Composite Marine Propeller. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT 2017). 2017, Lisbon, Portugal: Taylor and Francis.
- Alfred-Mohammed E, Benson SD, Hirdaris S, Dow RS. Design safety margin of a 10,000 TEU container ship through ultimate hull girder load combination analysis. Marine Structures 2016, 46, 78-101.
- Durowoju M, Pu Y, Benson S, Race J. Fatigue assessment of pipeline with plain dents under cyclic pressure loading using finite element method. In: ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE. 2016, Busan, South Korea: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Prini F, Birmingham RW, Benson S, Phillips HJ, Sheppard PJ, Mediavilla Varas J, Johnson M, Dow RS. Motions and Loads of a High-Speed Craft in Regular Waves: Prediction and Analysis. In: 24th International HISWA Symposium on Yacht Design and Construction. 2016, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Bashir MB, Menon M, Benson SD, Eastwood R, Murphy AJ, Cunny D, van Zwanenberg M. The Dynamic Behaviour of an ROV in Wave Affected Zones. In: 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE 2016). 2016, Busan, South Korea: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. A Comparison of Numerical Methods to Predict the Progressive Collapse of Lightweight Aluminium Vessels. In: Transactions - Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers. 2015, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
- Bashir M, Benson S, Murphy AJ, Menon M, Eastwood R, Cunny D, Zwanenberg M. Hydrodynamic Characteristics of ROVs During Deployment Through Wave-Affected Zone. In: 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. 2015, Newfoundland, Canada: ASME.
- Sim C, Ke B, Tay K, Bashir M, Benson SD. Hydrodynamic response of an ROV during launch and recovery. In: 4th International Conference on Advanced Model Measurement Technology for the Maritime Industry. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Overall Buckling of Lightweight Stiffened Panels Using an Adapted Orthotropic Plate Method. Engineering Structures 2015, 85, 107-117.
- Leelachai M, Benson S, Dow RS. Progressive Collapse of Intact and Damaged Stiffened Panels. In: 5th International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT). 2015, Southampton, UK: CRC Press.
- Yoshikawa Y, Bayatfar A, Benson S, Boulares J, Chen C, Gordo J, Jensen P, Jiang X, Josefson L, Kaeding P, Ojeda R, Qian X, Smith M, Vhanmane S, Wang D, Zhang S. Report of Committee III.1: Ultimate strength. In: Guedes Soares,C; Garbatov,Y, ed. Ships and Offshore Structures XIX. CRC Press, 2015.
- Prini F, Benson S, Birmingham RW, Dow RS, Sheppard PJ, Phillips HJ, Mediavilla Varas J. Seakeeping Analysis of a High-Speed Search and Rescue Craft by Linear Potential Theory. In: International Conference on Lightweight Design of Marine Structures (LIMAS 2015). 2015, Glasgow, UK.
- Syrigou M, Benson S, Dow RS. Strength of aluminium alloy ship plating under combined shear and compression/tension. In: 5th International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT). 2015, Southampton, UK: CRC Press.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. An Adapted Orthotropic Plate Method to Predict Overall Buckling of Lightweight Stiffened Panels. In: 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2014). 2014, San Francisco, USA: ASME.
- Wetenhall B, Aghajani H, Chalmers H, Benson SD, Ferrari M-C, Li J, Race JM, Singh P, Davison J. Impact of CO2 impurity on CO2 compression, liquefaction and transportation. In: 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-12. 2014, Austin, Texas: Elsevier.
- Syrigou M, Benson S, Dow RS. Strength of ship plating under combined shear and compression. In: International Conference On Safety & Reliability of Ship, Offshore & Subsea Structures. 2014, Glasgow, UK: ASRANet.
- Houseman R, Benson S. The effect of parametric changes on the ultimate strength of box girders under pure longitudinal bending moment. In: International Conference On Safety & Reliability of Ship, Offshore & Subsea Structures. 2014, Glasgow, UK: ASRANet.
- Benson S, AbuBakar A, Dow RS. A Comparison of Computational Methods to Predict the Progressive Collapse Behaviour of a Damaged Box Girder. Engineering Structures 2013, 48, 266-280.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. A Comparison of Numerical Methods to Predict the Progressive Collapse of Lightweight Aluminium Vessels. Journal of Ship Production and Design 2013, 29(3), 117-126.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Compartment level progressive collapse analysis of lightweight ship structures. Marine Structures 2013, 31, 44-62.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Load shortening characteristics of marine grade aluminium alloy plates in longitudinal compression. Thin-Walled Structures 2013, 70, 19-32.
- Benson S, Syrigou M, Dow RS. Longitudinal strength assessment of damaged box girders. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships and Offshore Structures (ICCGS). 2013, Trondheim, Norway: CRC Press.
- Benson S, Syrigou M, Dow RS. Longitudinal Strength Assessment of Damaged Box Girders. In: International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships. 2013, Trondheim, Norway: CRC Press.
- Benson S, AbuBakar A, Dow RS. Progressive collapse analysis of a damaged box girder in longitudinal bending. In: 12th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures. 2013, Gyeongnam Province, South Korea.
- Ehlers S, Benson S, Misirlis K. Ultimate strength of an intact and damaged LNG vessel subjected to sub-zero temperature. In: International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships. 2013, Trondheim, Norway: CRC Press.
- Benson S, Leelachai A, Dow RS. Ultimate strength of stiffened panels with circular cut-outs under in-plane compression. In: 12th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation. 2013, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. An automated finite element methodology for hull girder progressive collapse analysis. In: 13th International Marine Design Conference (IMDC). 2012, Glasgow, UK.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Compartment Level Progressive Collapse Analysis of a Lightweight Hull Girder. In: 6th International ASRANet Conference for Integrating Structural Analysis, Risk and Reliability. 2012, Croydon, UK.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. A Comparison of Numerical Methods to Predict the Progressive Collapse of Lightweight Aluminium Vessels. In: 11th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation (FAST 2011). 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Benson S. Progressive Collapse Assessment of Lightweight Ship Structures [PhD Thesis]. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2011.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Ultimate strength characteristics of aluminium plates for high speed vessels. Ships and Offshore Structures 2011, 6(1-2), 67-80.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. A Semi Analytical Method to Predict the Ultimate Strength and Collapse Behaviour of Orthogonally Stiffened Panels. In: 11th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures. 2010, Rio de Janerio, Brazil: COPPE/UFRJ.
- Benson S, ed. Proceedings of the 1st Marine Technology Postgraduate Conference. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2010.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Collapse modes and ultimate strength characteristics of aluminium grillages in large high speed craft. In: 10th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation. 2009, Athens, Greece: University of Athens.
- Benson S, Downes J, Dow RS. Ultimate strength characteristics of aluminium plates for high speed vessels. In: Analysis and Design of Marine Structures: 2nd International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT). 2009, Lisbon, Portugal: Taylor & Francis.