School of Marine Science and Technology | Which Research Degree?

Which Research Degree?

Programme Structure

The PhD normally requires three years full-time study, the MPhil and MRes one or two years. Some or all of these years can be replaced by a longer period of work as a part-time student. The difference between the Masters and the PhD is that the PhD should show substantial evidence of original scholarship and contain material worthy of technical publication. For the PhD, you are normally required to register for the MPhil in the first instance and, if your progress is satisfactory, you will be able to transfer to the PhD at the end of the first year.

Both the PhD and MPhil are assessed by submission of a thesis and oral examination. The MRes is assessed by written examination papers, end of semester examinations and a dissertation.

Training and Supervision

You will be assigned a supervisor who will monitor your progress and assist you in your studies. In addition, you will have formal research training in the use and application of research resources including information technology and library provision. You will be encouraged to sit in on Master's seminar programmes, where appropriate. We also organise a Marine Technology seminar programme to which guest speakers are invited. These provide a forum for debate and learning in which taught and research postgraduates are invited to participate.