Nick is a researcher in the School of Marine Science and Technology with interests in biological adhesion and marine biofouling processes. Working in the laboratory of Prof. Tony Clare, Nick uses a range of techniques to investigate the adhesives and adhesive interfaces of sessile marine organisms, such as barnacles, also developing methods to quantify and interrogate their settlement and pre-settlement behaviour. The applications of this research are in the development of synthetic bioadhesives for hi-tech applications and fouling-resistant materials for marine use.
Google Scholar Metrics
As of August 2014, 34 peer-reviewed publications attracting a total of over 150 citations per year, and an H-Index of 14.
2 papers have over 100 citations and several appear in top multidisciplinary journals, including Nature Communications (3rd in Multidisciplinary Sciences) and the Journal of the Royal Society Interface (7th in Multidisciplinary Sciences).
2013 - 2016: Newcastle University: US Office of Naval Research grant (A. S. Clare & N. Aldred PIs). Laboratory measures of the settlement behavior of barnacles and algae.
2008 - 2013: Newcastle University: US Office of Naval Research grant ( A. S. Clare PI). Laboratory measures of barnacle settlement behavior.
July - August 2012: (Visiting position) W. F. James Professor of pure and applied sciences, St. Francis Xavier University Nova Scotia.
2007 - 2008: Newcastle University: FP6 AMBIO Project.
2006 - 2007: Newcastle University: US Office of Naval Research grant (A. S. Clare PI). Laboratory measures of barnacle settlement behavior.
PhD, Newcastle University (2007) on: The adhesion and ahesives of barnacles (Balanus amphitrite; Semibalanus balanoides) and mussels (Mytilus edulis). Supervised by Prof. A. S. Clare (Newcastle) and Prof. J. A. Callow (Birmingham).
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Marine Biology (2002) from The University of Wales, Bangor.
The oily adhesive of barnacle larvae, e.g. http://optics.org/news/5/7/35. (http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140711/ncomms5414/abs/ncomms5414.html)
Front cover of JEB in June 2013, http://jeb.biologists.org/content/216/11.toc
Front cover of the journal Biointerphases in 2010.
Invited talks and positions
- The 17th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling (ICMCF), Singapore, July 2014. (Session organiser)
- The 2nd International Conference on Biological and Biomimetic Adhesives, Istanbul, May 2014. (Session chair)
- The 245th American Chemical Society National Meeting, New Orleans, April 2013. (Session chair)
- Organiser of Horizon 2020 Consortium Building workshop, Newcastle, September 2012.
- Session Chair at the 1st International Conference on Biological and Biomimetic Adhesives, Lisbon, May 2012. (Session chair)
- The 16th ICMCF, Seattle, July 2012.
- The ‘Bioglue’ conference, Vienna, November 2010. (Plenary and session chair)
- The 15th ICMCF, Newcastle, July 2010.
- The 43rd IUPAC World Polymer Congress, Glasgow, July 2010.
- "Nano- and Bio- Inspired Adhesion, a special meeting of the Society for Adhesion and Adhesives", London, April 2007.
- The 13th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling, Rio de Janeiro, July 2006.