Dr Philip Ansell
Senior Lecturer and Director of Recruitment and Admissions
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6344
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8020
- Address: School of Mathematics and Statistics
Newcastle upon Tyne
- Dean of Sport
School Roles and Responsibilities
- School of Mathematics & Statistics Director of Recruitment and Admissions
- School of Mathematics & Statistics Admissions Officer
- School of Mathematics & Statistics Careers Service Contact
- School of Mathematics & Statistics Web Development Officer
- University ReCap Steering Group
- School Recruitment Committee
- School Management Committee
- School Teaching and Learning Committee
- Faculty Recruitment Committee
- e-Learning and Student Information sub-committee
- VLE Steering Group
- LTR Review Panel
- Standing Committee for Programme Approval
External Committee Membership
- Realising Opportunities Advisory Board
- University of Reading
- University of Cork
Teaching for 2015-16
- MAS1901 Optimisation under Constraints
- MAS2304/3304 Foundations of Probability
- MAS3322/8322 Applied Probability
Other courses taught:
- PSY2010: Statistics for Experimental Psychology (Semester 1 2004-2014)
- MAS131/231: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (Semester 2 2004-2010)
- MAS365: Queueing systems (Semester 2 2001-2004)
- MAS233/633: Statistical Methods (Semester 1 2003-2004)
- MAS234/634: Applied Probability (Semester 2 2001-2003)
- MAS237/637: Networks and Decision Making (Semester 1 2001-02)
- MAS238/638: Quality Management (Semester 2 2000-01)
Recent MMathStat project students:
- Scott Lillico: Statistical Models for the Prediction of Football Matches with Applications to Betting, 2015
- Nathan Thomas-Peter: Statistical Analysis of Professional Golf Player Abilities, 2015
- Amy Hetherington: Assigning reason to decision based on model scores, 2014
- Laura Joy: Threshold policies for multiserver queueing systems, 2011
- Gavin Whitaker: Statistical models for the prediction of football matches, 2011
- Ben Nichols: Statistical models for the prediction of football matches, 2010
- Robert Jardine: Statistical models for the prediction of football matches, 2009
- Duncan Smith: Analysis of call centre data, 2005
- Michael Wood: The design of a course in the history of statistics/probability, 2004
- Fay Pickup: The history of statistics/probability 1654-1754, 2003
- Daniel Wass: The repairman problem, 2003
- Katie Barnes: Contributions to the Normal distribution, 2002
- Mourad Ketani: Queueing systems , 2002
- Stochastic optimisation
- Queueing theory
- Achievable region approaches to stochastic optimisation
- Bandit problems
- Dynamic treatment regimes
- Analysis of sports data
- Henderson R, Ansell P, Alshibani D. Optimal dynamic treatment methods. Revstat Statistical Journal 2011, 9(1), 19-36.
- Cloke DJ, Ansell PS, Avery PJ, Deehan D. Ankle injuries in football academies: a three centre prospective study. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2011, 45, 702-708.
- Henderson R, Ansell PS, Alsibani D. Regret-Regression for Optimal Dynamic Treatment Regimes. Biometrics 2010, 66(4), 1192-1201.
- Glazebrook KD, Mitchell HM, Ansell PS. Index policies for the maintenance of a collection of machines by a set of repairmen. European Journal of Operational Research 2005, 165(1), 267-284.
- Glazebrook KD, Ansell PS, Dunn RT, Lumley RR. On the optimal allocation of service to impatient tasks. Journal of Applied Probability 2004, 41(1), 51-72.
- Ansell PS, Glazebrook KD, Kirkbride C. Generalised 'join the shortest queue' policies for the dynamic routing of jobs to multi-class queues. Journal of the Operational Research Society 2003, 54(4), 379-389.
- Glazebrook KD, Lumley RR, Ansell PS. Index Heuristics for Multiclass M/G/1 Systems with Nonpreemptive Service and Convex Holding Costs. Queueing Systems 2003, 45(2), 81-111.
- Ansell PS, Glazebrook KD, Nino-Mora J, OKeeffe M. Whittle’s index policy for a multi-class queueing system with convex holding costs. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 2003, 57(1), 21-39.
- Ansell PS, Glazebroo KD, Mitrani I. Threshold policies for a single-server queuing network. Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences 2001, 15(1), 15-33.
- Glazebrook KD, Nino-Mora J, Ansell PS. Index policies for a class of discounted restless bandits. Advances in Applied Probability 2002, 34(4), 754-774.
- Glazebrook KD, Lumley RR, Ansell PS, Nino-Mora J. Optimal policies for single class M/G/1 systems with a charge for service and index heuristics for multi-class systems with general holding costs. submitted for publication 2002.