Programming with R
This is a one day intensive course on R. The
course will be a mixture of lectures and computer practicals. The main focus of
the course is R programming techniques, such as functions, for loops and
The course follows on from the Fundamental concepts in
R. It is assumed that all students have
this attended course (or have equivalent skills).
This course is suitable to a wide range of applicants e.g., biologists,
statisticians, engineers, students.
- Vector operations: Details of R's vectors operations.
- Conditionals Using "if and else" statements in R
- Functions: An introduction to what a function is, how they
can be used, and how to construct your own functions.
- Looping in R: An introduction to the concept of looping in
R. In particular "for" and "while" loops.
- The apply functions An introduction to the apply functions
This course will be structured as follows:
- 8:30 -- 9:00: Registration and coffee
- 9:00 -- 10:30: Lecture
- 10:30 -- 11:00: Coffee break
- 11:00 -- 12:00: Practical 1
- 12:00 -- 1:00: Lunch
- 1:00 -- 2:00: Lecture
- 2:00 - 4:45: Practical 2 (with a coffee break)
These times are intended to give a flavour of how the course is run and so are
subject to change.
Comments from previous courses
- We started from the beginning and achieved a lot by the end. I'm not scared
of R anymore. It was actually fun!
- You cover all the aspects that we need to learn to get started.
Dr Colin Gillespie, Statistics
Lecturer in the School of Mathematics & statistics.