- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5750
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8020
Currently the Director of ISRU (Industrial Statistics Research Unit) and Chair of the School of Maths & Statistics Impact Steering Committee, Matt joined the unit in 1999 after graduating from the School of Mathematics and Statistics with a Masters in Mathematics and Statistics. He has worked for business and industrial clients within the manufacturing, service and healthcare sectors, finding innovative solutions to practical problems. He has over 15 years experience in outreach activities including consultancy, organisation development, learning programmes, and placement student supervision.
- extensive experience of designing and delivering applied statistics programmes for business and industry in the UK and Europe
- the novel application of industrial statistics tools in non-manufacturing environments, including the use of Lean Six Sigma in healthcare
- coaching and mentoring in the use of statistical tools and techniques to improve operational performance in organisations across a range of sectors including manufacturing, service and healthcare
- teaching and supervision of University medical, dental, business school and chemical engineering students
Roles and Responsibilities:
Matt is the Chair of the School of Maths & Statistics Impact Steering Committee with the primary goal of identifying, developing and submitting successful Impact case studies in the next REF (2020).
Matt manages outreach projects with ISRU clients which supports Impact activity. He has a broad and diverse experience in applying applied statistics and Lean Six Sigma methodologies in manufacturing, service and healthcare environments. He provides training, coaching, consultancy and advice on the application of techniques such as Design of Experiments (DoE), Statistical Process Control (SPC), Capability Analysis, Measurement Systems Analysis and statistical software packages.
Matt regularly liaises with external clients to identify their requirements, identify opportunities for collaboration and communicate technical solutions. He develops new business to support the long-term viability of the unit by attending and presenting at events & conferences, visiting local and national and developing bids and proposals.
CStat, 2014, Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
MMathStats, Masters in Mathematics and Statistics 1999, Newcastle University
Technical Manager - ISRU, Newcastle University, 2004-2007
Research Associate - ISRU, Newcastle University, 1999-2004
Research Associate Secondment - University of Technology Sydney (UTS), 2001-2002
RSS - Royal Statistical Society
ENBIS - European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics
Learning languages, travelling, watching football, playing cricket, running, reading, playing the piano
MCR8002 Introduction to Research Study Design and Statistics
MCR8010 Introduction to Research Study Design and Statistics (E-learning)
MCR8016 Clinical Research Statistics
Statistics for Masters of Clinical Dentistry MClinDent
Statistics for Clinical Implant Dentistry PGDip
Statistics for Conscious Sedation PGDip
CME8013 Statistical Process Control
Improving Chemical Processes using Statistical Methodologies with Durham University
Health Education North East MRCPsych Course (Statistics and Critical Appraisal Module)
- Lendrem DW, Lendrem BC, Linsley M, Rowland-Jones R, D'Agostino F, Owen MR, Isaacs JD. Teaching Examples for the Design of Experiments: Geographical Sensitivity and the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy. Pharmaceutical Statistics 2016, 15(1), 90-92.
- Monness E, Linsley MJ, Garzon IE. Comparing different fractions of a factorial design: A metal cutting case study. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry 2007, 23(2), 117-128.
- Stewardson D, Coleman S, Linsley M. Supporting SMEs in the use of advanced statistical tools for product and process improvement. In: Modern Trends in Manufacturing, Second International CAMT Conference. 2003, Wroclaw, Poland: CAMT.
- Coleman SY, Pearce KF, Linsley MJ, Stewardson DJ. Issues in measurement reliability for SMEs/ A hands-on practical to demonstrate measurement reliability for SMEs. In: 5th SMESME International Conference. 2002, Danbury, UK.
- Pearce KF, Coleman SY, Linsley MJ, Bjerke F, Fairbairn L, Stewardson DJ. Small to Medium Sized Enterprises and the Importance of Reliable Measurement. In: ENBIS. 2002, Rimini, Italy.
- Parkin N, Linsley MJ, Chan JFL, Stewardson DJ. The Introduction of QFD in a UK Original Equipment Manufacturer. Managerial Auditing Journal 2002, 17(1-2), 43-54.
- Linsley MJ, Pearce KF, Stewardson DJ, Coleman SY. The Introduction of Quality Tools to Reduce Product Reject Rates in an SME. In: Manufacturing Information Systems: Proceedings of the Fifth SMESME International Conference - Stimulating Manufacturing Excellence in Small and Medium Enterprises. 2002, Danbury, UK: Earlybrave Publications Ltd.