Dr Oli King
Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7277
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8020
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/o.h.king/ohk.htm
- Address: School of Mathematics & Statistics
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
- Chair of the Board of Studies
- Degree Programme Director - Programme Development
- Chair of the Board of Examiners
- Faculty Programme Liaison Officer (on the CASAP programme)
- Convenor of the Student Disciplinary Panel
- Taught Programmes Sub-Committee (of ULTSEC) - member
- Regulations Working Group - member
- Chair of the Single Recognition Panel (recognising Fellowships and Associate Fellowship of the HEA)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
I have been interested for many years in the subgroup structure of the Classical Groups, both finite and infinite. In particular I am interested determining classes of subgroups that are maximal as subgroups, both describing the subgroups in terms of geometric configurations and proving maximality using natural geometric techniques. I am also interested classes of almost simple subgroups that can be described geometrically, even if they are not maximal.
I am interested in certain geometric configurations. Sometimes, but not always, these are related to subgroups of Classical groups. The configurations that I have a particular interest are: caps in projective spaces; ovoids and partial ovoids in polar spaces; special sets on hermitian surfaces; blocking sets on hermitian surfaces.
MAS3210/MAS8210 (Geometries and Designs)
MAS2704 (Numbers and Ciphers)
- Cossidente A, King OH, Marino G. Hyperovals arising from a Singer group action on H(3,q2), q even. Advances in Geometry 2016, 16(4), 481-486.
- King OH, Siciliano A. Translation ovoids of unitary polar spaces. Advances in Geometry 2014, 14(2), 369-379.
- Cossidente A, King OH, Marino G. Hyperovals of H(3,q2) when q is even. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 2013, 120(6), 1131-1140.
- King O, Robertson G. On the K-theory of boundary C*-algebras of Ã2 groups. Journal of K-theory 2012, 9(3), 521-536.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Blocking sets of H(n,q2) with respect to generators. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 2011, 118(4), 1212-1217.
- Cossidente A, King OH. On a family of minimal blocking sets of the Hermitian surface. Journal of Combinatorial Designs 2011, 19(4), 313-316.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Some Two-Character Sets. Designs, Codes and Cryptography 2010, 56(2-3), 105-113.
- Cossidente A, King O. On the geometry of the exceptional group G 2(q), q even. Designs, Codes, and Cryptography 2008, 47(1-3), 145-157.
- Cossidente A, King OH. On twisted tensor product group embeddings and the spin representation of symplectic groups. Advances in Geometry 2007, 7(1), 55-64.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Maximal subgroups of finite orthogonal groups stabilizing spreads of lines. Communications in Algebra 2006, 34(12), 4291-4309.
- Cossidente A, King OH, Marino G. Special sets of the Hermitian surface and Segre invariants. European Journal of Combinatorics 2006, 27(5), 629-634.
- King OH. The subgroup structure of finite classical groups in terms of geometric configurations. In: Webb, B.S, ed. Survey in Combinatorics, 2005. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp.29-56.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Maximal orthogonal subgroups of finite unitary groups. Journal of Group Theory 2004, 7(4), 447-462.
- Cossidente A, King OH. On some maximal subgroups of unitary groups. Communications in Algebra 2004, 32(3), 989-995.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Twisted tensor product group embeddings and complete partial ovoids on quadrics in PG(2t - 1,q). Journal of Algebra 2004, 273(2), 854-868.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Embeddings of finite classical groups over field extensions and their geometry. Advances in Geometry 2002, 2(1), 13-27.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Maximal subgroups of finite symplectic groups stabilizing spreads of lines. Journal of Algebra 2002, 258(2), 493-506.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Group-theoretic characterisations of classical ovoids. In: Finite Geometries: Proceedings of the Fourth Isle of Thorns Conference. 2001, Chelwood Gate, UK: Kluwer.
- Cossidente A, King OH. Transitive and co-transitive caps. Bulletin of the Belgian Mathematical Society - Simon Stevin 2000, 7(3), 343-353.