Dr Peter Avery
Senior Lecturer in Statistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7317
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8020
- Address: School of Mathematics & Statistics,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Design and analysis of taste panel studies
Analysis of ordinal data
Statistical problems in molecular biology and genetics
- Harper AR, Mayosi BM, Rodriguez A, Rahman T, Hall D, Mamasoula C, Avery PJ, Keavney BD. Common Variation Neighbouring Micro-RNA 22 Is Associated with Increased Left Ventricular Mass. PLoS One 2013, 8(1), e55061.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Williams MD, Brandao LR, Grainger JD, Kamali F. The VKORC1 and CYP2C9 genotypes are associated with over-anticoagulation during initiation of warfarin therapy in children. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2013, 11(2), 373-375.
- Baker PN, Petheram T, Jameson SS, Avery PJ, Reed MR, Gregg PJ, Deehan DJ. Comparison of patient-reported outcome measures following total and unicondylar knee replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: British Volume 2012, 94B(7), 919-927.
- Tan HL, Glen E, Topf A, Hall D, O'Sulliyan JJ, Sneddon L, Wren C, Avery P, Lewis RJ, ten Dijke P, Arthur HM, Goodship JA, Keavney BD. Nonsynonymous variants in the SMAD6 gene predispose to congenital cardiovascular malformation. Human Mutation 2012, 33(4), 720-727.
- Baker P, Petheram T, Avery P, Gregg P, Deehan D. Revision for unexplained pain following Unicompartmental and Total Knee Replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: American Volume 2012, 94(17), 1-7.
- Baker PN, Deehan DJ, Lees D, Jameson S, Avery PJ, Gregg PJ, Reed MR. The effect of surgical factors on early patient-reported outcome measures (PROMS) following total knee replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: British Volume 2012, 94B(8), 1058-1066.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Williams MD, Brandao LR, Grainger JD, Leathart JBS, Kamali F. VKORC1 and CYP2C9 genotype is associated with over-anticoagulation during initiation of warfarin therapy in children. In: 52nd Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Society for Haematology. 2012, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Biss TT, Hamberg AK, Avery PJ, Wadelius M, Leathart JBS, Kamali F. Warfarin dose prediction in children using pharmacogenetics information. In: 52nd Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Society for Haematology. 2012, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Biss T, Hamberg AK, Avery P, Wadelius M, Kamali F. Warfarin dose prediction in children using pharmacogenetics information. British Journal of Haematology 2012, 159(1), 106-109.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Brandao LR, Chalmers EA, Williams MD, Grainger JD, Leathart JB, Hanley JP, Daly AK, Kamali F. VKORC1 and CYP2C9 genotype and patient characteristics explain a large proportion of the variability in warfarin dose requirement among children. Blood 2011, 119(3), 868-873.
- Avery PJ, Jorgensen A, Hamberg AK, Wadelius M, Pirmohamed M, Kamali F. A Proposal for an Individualized Pharmacogenetics-Based Warfarin Initiation Dose Regimen for Patients Commencing Anticoagulation Therapy. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2011, 90(5), 701-706.
- Cloke DJ, Ansell PS, Avery PJ, Deehan D. Ankle injuries in football academies: a three centre prospective study. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2011, 45, 702-708.
- Rahman TJ, Mayosi BM, Hall D, Avery PJ, Stewart PM, Connell JMC, Watkins H, Keavney B. Common Variation at the 11-beta Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type 1 Gene Is Associated With Left Ventricular Mass. Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics 2011, 4(2), 156-U196.
- Avery PJ, Patel SK, Ibrahim IM, Walker M, Keavney BD. Common variation in the adiponectin gene has an effect on systolic blood pressure. Journal of Human Hypertension 2011, 25(12), 719-724.
- Hall D, Mayosi BM, Rahman TJ, Avery PJ, Watkins HC, Keavney B. Common variation in the CD36 (fatty acid translocase) gene is associated with left-ventricular mass. Journal of Hypertension 2011, 29(4), 690-695.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Walsh PM, Kamali F. Comparison of 'time within therapeutic INR range' with 'percentage INR within therapeutic range' for assessing long-term anticoagulation control in children. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2011, 9(5), 1090-1092.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Walsh PM, Kamali F. Comparison of time within therapeutic INR range with percentage INR within therapeutic range for assessing long-term anticoagulation control in children [reply to a rebuttal]. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2011, 9(11), 2332-2333.
- Moore O, Cloke DJ, Avery PJ, Beasley I, Deehan DJ. English Premiership Academy knee injuries: Lessons from a 5 year study. Journal of Sports Sciences 2011, 29(14), 1535-1544.
- Rahman TJ, Walker EA, Mayosi BM, Hall DH, Avery PJ, Connell JMC, Watkins H, Stewart PM, Keavney B. Genotype at the P554L Variant of the Hexose-6 Phosphate Dehydrogenase Gene Is Associated with Carotid Intima-Medial Thickness. PLoS One 2011, 6(8), e23248.
- Tan HL, Glen EA, Topf AL, Hall DH, O'Sullivan JJ, Sneddon L, Wren C, Avery P, Lewis RJ, ten Dijke P, Arthur HM, Goodship JA, Keavney BD. Non-synonymous SMAD6 mutations impaired inhibition of BMP signalling in patients with congenital cardiovascular malformation. In: Heart: Annual Conference of the British Cardiovascular Society (BCS). 2011, Manchester, UK: BMJ Group.
- Sinha A, Avery P, Turner S, Bailey S, Cheetham T. Vitamin D Status in Paediatric Patients With Cancer. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2011, 57(4), 594-598.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Walsh PM, Kamali F. Warfarin treatment outcomes in children monitored at home with a point-of-care device. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2011, 105(6), 1103-1105.
- Hatch E, Wynne H, Avery P, Wadelius M, Kamali F. Application of a pharmacogenetic-based warfarin dosing algorithm derived from British patients to predict dose in Swedish patients. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2008, 6(6), 1038-1040.
- Thomas HE, Redgrave R, Cunnington MS, Avery P, Keavney BD, Arthur HM. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells exhibit diurnal variation. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2008, 28(3), e21-e22.
- Rahman T, Baker M, Hall DH, Avery PJ, Keavney B. Common genetic variation in the type A endothelin-1 receptor is associated with ambulatory blood pressure: A family study. Journal of Human Hypertension 2008, 22(4), 282-288.
- Mayosi B, Avery P, Farrall M, Keavney B, Watkins H. Genome-wide linkage analysis of electrocardiographic and echocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy in families with hypertension. European Heart Journal 2008, 29(4), 525-530.
- Gaukrodger N, Avery PJ, Keavney B. Plasma potassium level is associated with common genetic variation in the β-subunit of the epithelial sodium channel. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2008, 294(3), R1068-R1072.
- Patel S, Flyvbjerg A, Kozàkovà M, Frystyk J, Ibrahim IM, Petrie JR, Avery PJ, Ferrannini E, Walker M, and the RISC Investigators. Variation in the ADIPOQ gene promoter is associated with carotid intima media thickness independent of plasma adiponectin levels in healthy subjects. European Heart Journal 2008, 29(3), 386-393.
- Sconce EA, Avery PJ, Wynne HA, Kamali F. Vitamin K epoxide reductase complex subunit 1 (VKORC1) polymorphism influences the anticoagulation response subsequent to vitamin K intake: A pilot study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2008, 6(7), 1226-1228.
- Baker M, Rahman T, Hall D, Avery PJ, Mayosi BM, Connell JMC, Farrall M, Watkins H, Keavney B. The C-532T polymorphism of the angiotensinogen gene is associated with pulse pressure: A possible explanation for heterogeneity in genetic association studies of AGT and hypertension. International Journal of Epidemiology 2007, 36(6), 1356-1362.
- Sconce E, Avery P, Wynne H, Kamali F. Vitamin K supplementation can improve stability of anticoagulation for patients with unexplained variability in response to warfarin. Blood 2007, 109(6), 2419-2423.
- Imrie H, Freel M, Mayosi BM, Davies E, Fraser R, Ingram M, Cordell HJ, Farrall M, Avery PJ, Watkins H, Keavney B, Connell JMC. Association between aldosterone production and variation in the 11β-hydroxylase (CYP11B1) gene. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2006, 91(12), 5051-5056.
- Wynne H, Khan T, Avery P, Wood P, Ward A, Kamali F. Dietary related plasma vitamin C concentration has no effect on anticoagulation response to warfarin. Thrombosis Research 2006, 118(4), 501-504.
- Hall DH, Rahman T, Avery PJ, Keavney B. INSIG-2 promoter polymorphism and obesity related phenotypes: Association study in 1428 members of 248 families. BMC Medical Genetics 2006, 7(83).
- Singh R, Pearson E, Avery PJ, McCarthy MI, Levy JC, Hitman GA, Sampson M, Walker M, Hattersley AT. Reduced beta cell function in offspring of mothers with young-onset type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2006, 49(8), 1876-1880.
- Gaukrodger N, Mayosi BM, Imrie H, Avery P, Baker M, Connell JMC, Watkins H, Farrall M, Keavney B. A rare variant of the leptin gene has large effects on blood pressure and carotid intima-medial thickness: a study of 1428 individuals in 248 families. Journal of Medical Genetics 2005, 42(6), 474-478.
- Baker M, Gaukrodger N, Mayosi B, Imrie H, Farrall ML, Watkins H, Connell JMC, Avery PJ, Keavney BD. Association between common polymorphisms of the proopiomelanocortin gene and body fat distribution: A family study. Diabetes 2005, 54(8), 2492-2496.
- Mayosi BM, Avery PJ, Baker M, Gaukrodger N, Imrie H, Green FR, Farrall M, Watkins H, Keavney B. Genotype at the-174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin-6 gene is associated with common carotid artery intimal-medial thickness - Family study and meta-analysis. Stroke 2005, 36(10), 2215-2219.
- Sconce EA, Khan TI, Wynne HA, Avery P, Monkhouse L, King BP, Wood P, Kesteven P, Daly AK, Kamali F. The impact of CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genetic polymorphism and patient characteristics upon warfarin dose requirements: Proposal for a new dosing regimen. Blood 2005, 106(7), 2329-2333.
- Khan T, Wynne H, Wood P, Torrance A, Hankey C, Avery P, Kesteven P, Kamali F. Dietary vitamin K influences intra-individual variability in anticoagulant response to warfarin. British Journal of Haematology 2004, 124(3), 348-354.
- Mills GW, Avery PJ, McCarthy MI, Hattersley AT, Levy JC, Hitman GA, Sampson M, Walker M. Heritability estimates for beta cell function and features of the insulin resistance syndrome in UK families with an increased susceptibility to Type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2004, 47(4), 732-738.
- Khan TI, Kamali F, Kesteven P, Avery P, Wynne H. The value of education and self-monitoring in the management of warfarin therapy in older patients with unstable control of anticoagulation. British Journal of Haematology 2004, 126(4), 557-564.
- Van De Weerd HA, Docking CM, Day JEL, Avery PJ, Edwards SA. A systematic approach towards developing environmental enrichment for pigs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2003, 84(2), 101-118.
- Avery PJ. Fitting interconnected Markov chain models - DNA sequences and test cricket matches. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series D: The Statistician 2002, 51, 267-278.
- Avery PJ. The effect of dependence in a binary sequence on tests for a changepoint or a changed segment. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series C: Applied Statistics 2001, 50(2), 243-246.
- Avery PJ, Masters GA. Advice on the design and analysis of sensory evaluation experiments using a case-study with cooked pork. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series D: The Statistician 1999, 48(3), 349-359.
- Avery PJ, Henderson DA. Detecting a changed segment in DNA sequences. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series C: Applied Statistics 1999, 48(4), 489-503.
- Avery PJ, Henderson DA. Fitting Markov chain models to discrete state series such as DNA sequences. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series C: Applied Statistics 1999, 48(1), 53-61.
- Blanchard PJ, Warkup CC, Ellis M, Willis MB, Avery P. The influence of the proportion of Duroc genes on growth, carcass and pork eating quality characteristics. Animal Science 1999, 68(3), 495-501.
- Avery PJ, Ellis M, Webb A J, Brown I. The influence of terminal sire genotype, sex, slaughter weight, feeding regime and slaughter-house on growth performance and carcass and meat quality in pigs and on the organoleptic properties of fresh pork. Animal Science, 62, 521-530 1996.
- Steel DH, Parkes C, Papastavrou VT, Avery PJ, El-Ghrably IA, Habib MS, Sandinha MT, Smith J, Stannard KP, Vaideanu-Collins D, Hillier RJ. Predicting macular hole closure with ocriplasmin based on spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Eye 2016, 30(5), 740–745.
- Langton DJ, Sidaginamele R, Avery P, Waller S, Tank G, Lord J, Joyce T, Cooke N, Logishetty R, Nargol AVF. Retrospective cohort study of the performance of the Pinnacle metal on metal (MoM) total hip replacement: a single-centre investigation in combination with the findings of a national retrieval centre. BMJ Open 2016, 6(4), e007847.
- Sidaginamale RP, Joyce TJ, Bowsher JG, Lord JK, Avery P, Natu S, Nargol AVF, Langton DJ. The Clinical Implications of Metal Debris Release from the Taper Junctions and Bearing Surfaces of Metal on Metal Hip Arthroplasty. Part One: joint fluid and blood metal ion concentrations. The Bone and Joint Journal 2016, 98-B, 925-933.
- Dhir S, Connor P, Chalmers E, Cummins M, Qureshi A, Iqbal K, Howard Z, Ajanaku A, Amu L, Avery P, Samarasinghe S, Biss T. Central venous line placement prior to induction therapy in children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia does not increase the risk of line-related thrombosis. In: 55th Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Society for Haematology. 2015, Edinburgh, UK: Wiley.
- Abohelaika S, Wynne H, Avery P, Kamali F. Influence of CYP2C9 polymorphism on the fall in International Normalized Ratio in patients interrupting warfarin therapy before elective surgery. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2015, 13(8), 1436-1440.
- Brown AE, Palsgaard J, Borup R, Avery P, Gunn DA, De Meyts P, Yeaman SJ, Walker M. p38 MAPK activation upregulates proinflammatory pathways in skeletal muscle cells from insulin-resistant type 2 diabetic patients. American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015, 308(1), E63-E70.
- Abohelaika S, Kamali F, Avery P, Robinson B, Kesteven P, Wynne H. Anticoagulation control and cost of monitoring of older patients on chronic warfarin therapy in three settings in North East England. Age and Ageing 2014, 43(5), 708-711.
- Sen B, Kesteven P, Avery P. Comparison of D-dimer point of care test (POCT) against current laboratory test in patients with suspected venous thromboembolism (VTE) presenting to the emergency department (ED). Journal of Clinical Pathology 2014, 67(5), 437-440.
- Baker PN, Petheram T, Dowen D, Jameson SS, Avery PJ, Reed MR, Deehan DJ. Early PROMs Following Total Knee Arthroplasty-Functional Outcome Dependent on Patella Resurfacing. Journal of Arthroplasty 2014, 29(2), 314-319.
- Biss T, Avery P, Ibubeleye V, Swinburne E, Kamali F. Maintenance warfarin dose in children is determined by S-warfarin clearance which is in turn influenced by CYP2C9 genotype. In: 54th Annual Scientific Meeting of the British-Society-for-Haematology. 2014, Birmingham, ENGLAND: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Pirmohamed M, Burnside G, Stoddern J, Prince C, Toh CH, Nicholson T, Kesteven P, Jorgensen A, Daly A, Maitland-van der Zee AH, Williamson P, Eriksson N, Avery P, Kamali F, Wadelius M. A Randomized Trial Comparing Genotype-Guided Dosing of Warfarin to Standard Dosing: The EU Pharmacogenetics of Anticoagulant Therapy (EU-PACT) Warfarin Study. In: Resuscitation Science Symposium 2013. 2013, Dallas, Texas: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Khan SK, Jameson SS, Avery PJ, Gray AC, Deehan DJ. Does the timing of presentation of neck of femur fractures affect the outcome of surgical intervention. European Journal of Emergency Medicine 2013, 20(3), 178-181.
- Biss TT, Avery PJ, Brandao LR, Chalmers EA, Williams MD, Grainger JD, Leathart JBS, Hanley JP, Daly AK, Kamali F. Inter-individual variability in warfarin dose requirement in children can be explained by VKORC1 and CYP2C9 genotype and patient characteristics. In: JOURNAL OF THROMBOSIS AND HAEMOSTASIS. 2011, 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA: WILEY-BLACKWELL.