Design, Manufacture and Materials
The Design, Manufacture and Materials Research Group focuses on the design, development, analysis and testing of novel materials, structures and processes. Our research addresses the design and manufacture techniques, processes and systems required to underpin the development and delivery of innovative materials and products, and much of the research is carried out with industrial partners. The group hosts two major centres whose research is aimed at particular industry sectors:
- Gear Technology Centre (Design Unit) – a British Gear Association 'Centre of Excellence'
- Newcastle Centre for Railway Research (NewRail)
Our areas of specialist expertise include:
- processing and analysis of composite materials and structures
- fundamental and applied research related to mechanical power transmissions and machine elements, especially gear systems
- railway research, particularly rail freight and logistics, rail infrastructure, rail systems, and rail vehicles
- additive layer manufacturing (ALM), considering process and materials development, and the use of ALM in mass customisation applications
We have close links to the University’s Resource Centre for Innovation & Design (RCID), a multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy.
The Group has facilities for:
- materials testing and failure analysis
- product development and mechanical testing
- pultrusion, filament winding, resin infusion and vacuum bag moulding
- selective laser sintering and fused deposition modelling