Emeritus Professor Chris Petrie
- Email: email@example.com
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/chris.petrie/own_home.html
- Address: School of Mechanical & Systems Engineering,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle upon Tyne
Emeritus Professor from 30th September 2004.
Formerly Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (formerly Fellow of the Plastics and Rubber Institute).
Formerly Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (and Chartered Mathematician).
Rheology and non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics; modelling of polymer processing; extensional flow.
Mathematical modelling and applications of mathematics in engineering.
Former Editorial Board Member: Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, (Elsevier, Holland)
Former Editorial Board Member: Applied Rheology (ETHZ, Zurich)
Former Editorial Board Member: Plastics, Rubber and Composites (IoMMM, London) until retirement
Former Editorial Board Member: Archives of Mechanics (Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw) until retirement
Former chairman, European Society of Rheology's Sub Committee on Rheological Expertise in Europe.
Former Council Member and Chair of Web Sub Committee for the British Society of Rheology.
Invited Plenary Lecturer, Conference on Extensional Flow, Lake Vyrnwy, Wales, March 2005.
Invited Participant at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences workshop, "Dynamics of Complex Fluids: 10 Years On", October 2006.
Invited Participant at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences programme, "Foams and Minimal Surfaces", August 2002.
Mini Symposium Co Chairman at the Annual Conference of the Polymer Processing Society (PPS-16), Montreal, 2001.
Two papers (One Hundred Years of Extensional Flow (137(1-3), pp1-14) and Extensional Viscosity: A Critical Discussion (137(1-3), pp15-23)) listed in Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics’ top 20 dowloads of 2006.
- Petrie CJS. Extensional viscosity: A critical discussion. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 2006, 137(1-3), 15-23.
- Petrie CJS. One hundred years of extensional flow. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 2006, 137(1-3), 1-14.
- Metcalfe AV, Burdess JS, Mannings V, Petrie A, Petrie CJS. Electroviscous journal bearing for active control of vibration of an out-of-balance rotor. In: 6th Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference (EMAC). 2003, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.
- Petrie CJS. Tubular film blowing - myths and science. In: 6th European Conference on Rheology. 2003, Erlangen, Germany: Institute of Polymer Materials.
- Petrie CJS. Non-simple flows: a discussion arising from examination of whether exponential shear is properly described as a strong flow. In: 3rd International Conference on the Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids. 2002, University of Naples, Dept of Chemical Engineering, Capri, Italy.
- Petrie CJS. Pure shear or planer extension, which names is misleading?. In: 3rd International Meeting of the Hellenic Society of Rheology (HSR). 2001, Patras, Greece.
- Petrie C. Extensional flows. In: D.A. Siginer, D. De Kee and R.P. Chhabra, ed. Advances in the Flow and Rheology of Non-Newtonian Fluids. Amsterdam and New York: Elsevier, 1999, pp.613-636.
- Petrie CJS. The rheology of fibre suspensions. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 1999, 87(2-3), 369-402.
- Petrie CJS. Some asymptotic results for high rates of strain. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 1998, 79, 297-313.
- Petrie CJS, Malkin AY. Some conditions for rupture of polymer liquids in extension. Journal of Rheology 1997, 41, 1-25.
- Petrie CJS. Three-dimensional presentation of extensional flow data. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 1997, 70, 205-218.
- Petrie CJS. Elongational Flows. London: Pitman (Longmans), 1979.