School Laser Safety Officer.
1982 Ph.D., University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
1974 B.Sc.(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Associate Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
1980-82 Turbine Design Engineer with NEI Parsons.
1974-76 Graduate Apprentice with C.A. Parsons.
Fluid Dynamics; Computational Fluid Dynamics.
I have previously taught courses in Turbomachinery, Gas Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Psychrometry and Wind Power.
Computational and Experimental Investigation of Vortex Shedding from Bluff Bodies; Unsteady Flow in Tube Banks; Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulence; Wind Turbine Flow Prediction; Algorithms for Particle Image Velocimetry and Particle Tracking; CFD Modelling of Boundary Layers; Design of a Miniature Gas Turbine; CFD applied to Shock Tube Problems; CFD Validation Studies; CFD for Free Surface Flows; Use of Hot Wires for Reynolds Stress Measurement.
Fluid Dynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Turbulent Multiphase Flow, Experimental Fluid Dynamics: PIV and LDA.
2008-2011 (British Energy) Gas-particle flows in gas cooled reactors.
1998-2001 (Cundall Johnston & Partners) CFD models for buoyancy driven flows in buildings.
2007-2009 (EPSRC) Novel pdf-two-fluid models for particle transport in turbulent boundary layers.
1999-2001 (EU Framework5) GTPOM - Thermo-economic Optimisation of Whole Gas Turbine Plant.
* Dispersion and Deposition of Heavy Particles in Turbulent Flows. (2008-2011)
* Accuracy of Nominally 2nd Order, Unstructured Grid, CFD Codes. (1999-2005)
* Use of Computational Fluid Dynamics for predicting Natural Displacement Ventilation Flow in a Large Enclosure. (2001-2004)
* Theoretical and Experimental Studies of an Aerosol Coalescing Fibrous Filter. (1996-1999)
* Rotor-Stator Interaction in Radial Flow Pumps and Fans at Shut-Off Conditions. (1994-1997)
* The Optimisation of Steam Turbine Design. (1994-1997)
(* Principal supervisor)
Low Flow and Shut-Off Performance of Centrifugal Pumps. (2001-2003)