Dr John Appleby
Head of School
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6286
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/johnappleby/
- Address: Room F8A Stephenson Building
Roles and Responsibilities
Head of School
BA/MA Mathematics, University of Cambridge
PhD Mathematics, University of Leeds
Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
UCU Committee, Chaplaincy Local Advisory Group, politics and current affairs, reading, folk music/dancing, hill walking, Church of England (member of General Synod)
Mathematical Education, Electrical Impedance Tomography, Fluid Dynamics
External Examiner, Birmingham University Foundation Year 2000/3
Consultant to Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore 1999/2000
Awarded the C Oswald George prize of the Royal Statistical Society 1998 for an article: 'BUSTLE - a bus scheduling simulation. Teaching Statistics, 20, 77-80.'
Member University Senate
Former member University Council
Former President, Newcastle AUT (UCU)
Foundation Year mathematics SFY0003, SFY0004
Stage 1 Engineering mathematics ENG1001
Stage 2 Strength of Materials/Finite Elements MEC2009, Eng Maths with Applications ENG2010
Stage 3/MSc Finite Element analysis ENG3002
- Appleby JC, Cox W. The Transition to Higher Education. In: Khan, P., Kyle, J, ed. Effective Learning and Teaching in Mathematics and its Applications. London: Routledge, 2002, pp.6-21.
- Appleby JC. What Can We Learn From Computer Based Diagnostic Testing?. In: Proceedings of TIME 2000: An International Conference on Technology in Mathematics Education. 2000, Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University of Technology.
- Appleby JC. BUSTLE - a bus scheduling simulation. Teaching Statistics 1998, 20, 77-80.
- Toft M & Appleby JC. Determination of internal structure by electrical impedance tomography. Non-destructive testing and evaluation 1998, 14, 173-181.
- Burn RP, Appleby JC, Maher P (eds). Teaching Undergraduate Mathematics. 1998.
- Appleby JC, Samuels PC & Treasure-Jones T. DIAGNOSYS - a knowledge-based diagnostic test of basic mathematical skills. Computers in Education 1997, 28, 113-131.
- Appleby JC & Crighton DG. Internal gravity waves generated by oscillations of a sphere. J Fluid Mech 1987, 183, 439-450.