Rail Systems Group
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6829
- Personal Website: http://www.newrail.org
- Address: 2nd Floor, Stephenson Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Senior Research Associate leading the Railway Systems Research Group at NewRail, Roberto has a background in Mechanical Engineering, Design and Railway Systems Engineering. He has been involved in research projects on subjects such as development of innovative railway concepts, innovative intermodal systems, urban transport, intermodality of the European rail network and development of modular concepts for high-speed.
Research interests include mobility and mass-capacity, connectivity, the development of ergonomic and design-led railway environments and improving railways energy efficiency.
He is currently Principal Investigator (PI)/CO-I for Viajeo Plus (International Coordination for implementation of innovative and efficient urban mobility solutions), OSIRIS (Optimal strategy to innovate and reduce energy consumption in urban rail systems) and MERLIN (Sustainable and intelligent management of energy for smarter railway systems in Europe: an integrated optimisation approach), SafeCap+ (integrated optimal capacity, safety and energy strategies at multiple nodes) and Z_LIM (Predictable and optimised braking: zero slip linear induction motor).
In MERLIN he is involved in research on developing operational and strategic approaches to improve the energy efficiency of railways. Roberto's input to OSIRIS is related to the definition and development of operational requirements and needs for urban rail systems as well as the integration of technical results and economic assessment for Decision Support. In SafeCap+ he is part of a multidisciplinary team at Newcastle University co-led with Prof Romanovsky (School of Computing Science) aiming to develop real-time network optimisation tools exploring the trade-off between capacity, safe and energy usage. Z_LIM explores the concept of a linear induction motor that instead of using an integrated primary and secondary unit, it separates them using the existing running rails as the secondary placing the primary component attached to the bogie in the fashion of a eddy current brake. This allows for the generation of forces that are independent of the level of adhesion between wheel and rail, effectively providing a zero slip effect.
Other recent concluded projects include CleanER-D (Clean European Rail Diesel), EBSF (European Bus System of the Future), MODTRAIN (Innovative modular vehicle concepts for an integrated European railway system), HST Connectivity (study on High Speed rail connectivity in northwest Europe) and RAILTEST (Inventory of Railway Test Installations in Europe and Detection of Synergies between them).
Esteem indicators include:
-Evaluator for the European Commission’s FP7 research program (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014);
-Member of the National Evaluation and Foresight Agency (ANEP), Spain(2006-to date);
-Peer reviewer for Journal of mathematics and computer simulation (2015);
-Peer reviewer for travel behaviour & society Journal (2015);
-Peer reviewer for ImechE Part F: Rail and Rapid Transit Journal (2013);
-Peer reviewer for European Transport Research Review Journal (2012);
-Peer reviewer for International Journal of Crashworthiness (2009);
-Peer reviewer for the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) books section (2009);
-Peer reviewer for Engineering Structures Journal (2008);
-peer reviewer for the Transport Research Arena-TRA2012 &TRA2014 (2012, 2014)
-Scientific committee member for the International Congress on Rail Technology, 12-14 April, 2010 (Spain);
-Peer reviewer, organising committee member and session chair at the 13th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM13), Stockholm (Sweden) 02-05 June 2008
-Expert Member, Working Group on Passenger Intermodality, LINK European Forum (2008)
-Member of the evaluation panel for the CENIT Programme, part of the Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology (CDTI) a Spanish public organisation under the Ministry of Industry and Commerce (2006, 2008).
-Expert Evaluator for the Vienna Technology and Science Fund on the Science for the Creative Industries programme (2006).
-Panel member and speaker at the conference “Beyond Rail”, Brussels, 2006, on the future of high speed rail in Europe;
-Session Chair and speaker at the SAMPLE 2006 Conference, Paris 2006 on the composite materials in transport topic.
-Organising Committee and Speaker at Rail Systems Engineering Conference, Derby (UK),’05
Modules for the 2015-16 academic year:
-MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 4 "design for human systems interaction" module (MEC8028);
-MSc Rail Freight and Logistics-module leader for "rail environment and energy" (MEC8039)
-RailNewcastle Summer School, "Energy Use For Sustainable Rail" plus project supervision
in previous years:
-MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 3 project supervision and assessment (MEC3096 & MEC 3098);
-MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 4 "Enginering tomorrow's railway" module co-supervision and assessment (MEC4006);
-MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 4 team project supervision and assessment (MEC8099);
-Annual guest lecture to Supply Chain Management undergraduate students (MKT3011) and Supply Chain postgraduate students (NBS8501);
- Powell JP, Batty P, Gonzalez-Gil A, Palacin R. Determining system-wide energy use in an established metro network. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part F: Rail and Rapid Transit 2016. In Press.
- Palacin R, Golightly D, Ramdas V, Dadashi N. Evaluating the impact of rail research: Principles to maximise innovation uptake. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit 2016, 230(7), 1673-1686.
- Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Palacin R. Green Rail Transportation : Improving Rail Freight to Support Green Corridors. In: Psaraftis, HN, ed. Green Transportation Logistics : The Quest for Win-Win Solutions. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, 2016, pp.413-454.
- Palacin R. Hyperloop, the Electrification of Mobility, and the Future of Rail Travel. IEEE Electrification Magazine 2016, 4(3), 4-51.
- Rjabovs A, Palacin R. The influence of system design-related factors on the safety performance of metro drivers. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Palacin R, Vigar G, Peacock S. Transport poverty and mobility. In: Prof. Simin Davoudi and Derek Bell, ed. Justice and fairness in the city. Bristol: Policy Press, 2016, pp.276. In Preparation.
- Calatayud A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson E, Ruiz-Rua A. Understanding connectivity to international markets: a systematic review. Transport Reviews 2016, 36, Epub ahead of print.
- Powell JP, Palacin R. A comparison of modelled and real-life driving profiles for the simulation of railway vehicle operation. Transportation Planning and Technology 2015, 38(1), 78-93.
- Nakai K, Suzuki D, Enami S, Okino T, Takano J, Palacin R. An Estimation of Behaviour and Severity of Injury to Rail Passengers Occupying Longitudinal Seats in the Event of Collision. In: 2015 Conference Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury (IRCOBI). 2015, Lyon, France: IRCOBI.
- Rjabovs A, Palacin R. Attitudes of metro drivers towards design of immediate physical environment and system layout. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 104-111.
- Meinert M, Melzer M, Kamburrow C, Palacin R, Leska M, Aschemann H. Benefits of hybridisation of diesel driven rail vehicles: Energy management strategies and life-cycle costs appraisal. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 897-904.
- Batty P, Palacin R, Gonzalez-Gil A. Challenges and opportunities in developing urban modal shift. Travel Behaviour and Society 2015, 2(2), 109-123.
- Meinert M, Prenleloup P, Schmid S, Palacin R. Energy storage technologies and hybrid architectures for specific diesel-driven rail duty cycles: Design and system integration aspects. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 619-629.
- Roskilly AP, Palacin R, Yan J. Novel technologies and strategies for clean transport systems. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 563-566.
- Gonzalez-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P. Optimal energy management of urban rail systems: Key performance indicators. Energy Conversion and Management 2015, 90, 282-291.
- Powell J, Palacin R. Passenger stability within moving railway vehicles: Limits on maximum longitudinal acceleration. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 95-103.
- Suzuki D, Nakai K, Enami S, Okino T, Takano J, Palacin R. Proposal of Simulation Method for Behaviour Analysis of Passengers on Longitudinal Seating in Railway Collision. In: 2015 Conference Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury (IRCOBI). 2015, Lyon, France: IRCOBI.
- Nakai K, Susuki D, Enami S, Palacin R. Research of standing pasegener's safety on board a train in the event of a train collision. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium Passive Safety of Rail Vehicles. 2015, IFV Bahntechnik. In Preparation.
- Batty P, Palacin R. The circumvention of barriers to urban rail energy efficiency. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 71-77.
- Palacin R. The future of travel and why it doesn't look like Hyperloop. The Conversation Trust, 2015. Available at: https://theconversation.com/the-future-of-rail-travel-and-why-it-doesnt-look-like-hyperloop-45354.
- Calatayud MA, Ruiz-Rua A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson EL. A Novel Concept for Measuring Connectivity to International Markets applied to Transport in Selected Latin-American. In: 18th Pan-American Congress on Transport Engineering and logistics. 2014, Santander, Spain.
- González-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P, Powell JP. A systems approach to reduce urban rail energy consumption. Energy Conversion and Management 2014, 80, 509-524.
- Iliasov A, Palacin R, Romanovsky A. Advanced Modelling, Simulation and Verification for Future Traffic Regulation Optimisation. In: 6th International Workshop, SERENE 2014. 2014, Budapest, Hungary: Springer.
- Powell JP, González-Gil A, Palacin R. Experimental assessment of the energy consumption of urban rail vehicles during stabling hours: influence of ambient temperature. Applied Thermal Engineering 2014, 66(1-2), 541-547.
- Palacin R, Raif L, Deniz O, Yan N. High speed rail trends, technologies and operational patterns: A comparison of established and emerging networks. Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special Edition), 123-129.
- Palacin R, Quinn D, Batty P, Guzman J. Methodology and assessment for deployment of sustainable transport in medium-sized urban conurbations in Ecuador. In: 18th Pan-American Congress in Transport Engineering and logistics. 2014, Santander, Spain.
- Palacin R, Correia J, Zdziech M, Cassese T, Chitakova T. Rail environmental impact: Energy consumption and noise pollution assessment of different transport modes connecting big Ben (London, UK) and Eiffel Tower (Paris, FR). Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special Edition), 9-27.
- Batty P, Palacin R, Gonzalez-Gil A, Jackson R. Addressing the conflicting stakeholder requirements for energy efficiency within urban rail systems. In: 10th World Congress on Railway Research - WCRR 2013. 2013, Sidney, Australia: WCRR.
- Beatrice C, Rispoli N, Di Blasio G, Patrianakos G, Kostoglou M, Konstandopoulos A, Imren A, Denbratt I, Palacin R. Emission Reduction Technologies for the Future Low Emission Rail Diesel Engines: EGR vs SCR. In: 11th International Conference on Engines & Vehicles. 2013, Capri, Napoli: SAE International.
- Ulianov C, Lupescu O, Palacin R. Probabilistic and Statistical Modelling of Long-Term Behaviour of Composites Systems. Progress in Rubber, Plastics & Recycling Technology 2013, 29(4), 189-215.
- Reis V, Meier F, Pace G, Palacin R. Rail and multi-modal transport. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 41(1), 17-30.
- Gonzalez-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P. Sustainable urban rail systems: strategies and technologies for optimal management of regenerative braking energy. Energy Conversion and Management 2013, 75, 374-388.
- Ruiz-Rua A, Palacin R. Towards a liberalised European high speed railway sector: Analysis and modelling of competition using Game Theory. European Transport Research Review 2013, 5(1), 53-63.
- Sandor J, Palacin R, Schwarz H, Kamburow C. Towards greener and cleaner rail diesel vehicles. European Railway Review 2013, 19(2), 65-67.
- Palacin R. Advances in after-treatment technologies and alternative fuels. In: 12th UIC Sustainability Conference-the rail way to a greener life. 2012, Venice (Italy): UIC-International Union of Railways.
- Palacin R. Driver advice systems for road and rail: Innovation and transfer potential. In: Technology Convergence Between Road and Rail Traffic Management Systems. 2012, London: IRSE-Institution of railway signalling engineers.
- Palacin R. Ageing and mobility: challenges for a sustainable future. In: World Congress on Rail Research (WCRR11). 2011, Lille, France.
- Palacin R, Powell J. dynamic conditions of urban and suburban railway vehicles: Influence in passenger confort and safety. In: World Congress on Rail Research (WCRR11). 2011, Lille, France.
- Palacin R. Environmental impact of railway systems: Meeting the emissions challenge. Railway Strategies 2011, 152-153.
- Palacin R. Ageing and mobility: transport solutions for older people. In: International Conference on Ageing, Disability and Independence (ICADI). 2010, Gateshead, UK.
- Palacin R. Interior passive safety for Europe: researching ahead. EURAILmag 2010, (22), 30-33.
- Palacin R. International research and innovative approaches to accessibility and mobility. In: Train accesibility targets 2020. 2010, London, UK.
- Palacin R. Making rail interiors safer for passengers. European Commission DG research website: European Commission, 2010. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/research/transport/news/article_10559_en.html.
- Palacin R. Train interior passive safety principles and advances. In: International Conference on Railway Interiors. 2010, Berlin, Germany.
- Palacin R. Overview of training and research aspects of momentum Marie Curie RTN. In: EU FP6 Aerospace Composite Projects. 2009, AIRBUS (UK).
- Palacin R, Ruiz A. Railway competition: elements of analysis through game theory. Madrid, Spain: International Transport Forum, 2009. .
- Palacin R. Training and research developing a new range of materials for transport. Projects 2009, (13), 98-100.
- Palacin R. High speed hybrids design under attack. Transport Times 2007, 37, 9.
- Palacin R, Roberts J. Safer rail interiors by innovative design. In: International Rail Interiors Expo. 2007, Cologne, Germany.
- Palacin R. [Interview] Network Rail costing make diesel Intercity Express "redundant". Transport Times 2007, (47), 7.
- Palacin R. Composites in transport. Training the next generation of engineers. In: 27th International Conference SAMPE Europe: Latest Advancements of Applied Composites Technology. 2006, Paris, France: Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering.
- Palacín R. High Speed Rail Connectivity. In: Beyond Rail Conference. 2006, Brussels, Belgium.
- Robinson MR, Carruthers J, Palacin R. Lightweighting for mass transit applications. In: JEC Composites (Journees Europeennes du Composites): Mass Transit Proceedings. 2006, Paris: JEC.
- O'Donnell C, Palacín R, Rosinski J. Pantograph damage and wear monitoring systems. In: Railway Condition Monitoring International Conference. 2006, Birmingham, UK.
- Palacin R. Research and innovation requirements for the future generation of composite applications in transport structures. In: 17th SICOMP International Conference on Manufacturing and Design of Composites. 2006, Pitea, Sweden.
- Palacin R. [Forum presentation] The future of Composites in Transport. Training the next generation of Engineers. Paris, France: JEC, 2006. JEC Composites.
- Palacin R. Design of rail interiors for accessibility and mobility. In: Rail Interiors Technology Forum. 2005, Cologne, Germany.
- Palacín R. Design-led passenger environment and passenger experience. In: Design for User Experiences - DUX05 2005. 2005, San Francisco, USA: Design User Experience-DUX 2005.
- Palacin R. Interoperability, innovative modular vehicle concepts and certification in Europe: An integration challenge. 2005, York, UK.
- Palacin R, Kemp RJ. Living up to the myth by enhancing sustainability of rail. In: Excellence in Railway Systems Engineering and Integration. 2005, Derby, UK.
- Palacin R. [Interview] Tomorrow's green machines: Rail moves on the right lines. Future Transport Suplement, the Sunday Times 2005.
- Palacin R, Robinson AM, Neumann L. Railway testing and certification in Europe: An integration challenge. In: INNOTRANS 2004. 2004, Berlin, Germany.
- Palacin R. The distribution dilema. 2002. Container Management, 14-17.
- Palacin, R.,Robinson, A.M. Faster, better, cheaper. 2000. Container Management, (issue 187), 76-77.
- Palacin R, Robinson M. Intermodalism: faster, better, cheaper. Container Management 2000, 187, 76-77.