Rail Freight & Logistics Research Group Manager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3975
- Personal Website: http://freightandlogisticsnews.blogspot.co.uk
- Address: NewRail: Newcastle Centre for Rail Research,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tom is a hybrid academic and manager. He has over 25 years experience in supply chain management, primarily logistics, procurement and distribution followed by another decade as an academic researcher and project manager in the same fields. That entire career has had parallel streams of line management, strategic review and change management. Tom is comfortable in multi-site, multi-national organisations with inter-disciplinary teams. He has worked in heavy and medium engineering and been involved in analysing and implementing solutions in road, rail and sea freight. His research work has covered ICT and transport logistics, urban freight and city logistics and railfreight both long and short haul.
1997-98 Cranfield University
MSc in Distribution and Logistics.
1983-1986 University of Sheffield
BA Honours in Economic and Social History. Class: Upper Second 2:1
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (FCILT)
Full Member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS)
urban freight and city logistics
supply chain management
ICT in transport logistics
On an IS/IT level Tom has been involved in the specification, design, project management and implementation of various enterprise and supply chain systems. Tom is used to working at Board level and influencing decisions. Tom is a fully qualified procurement professional.
research into satellite navigation and vehicle wayfinding
ongoing research into urban freight and city logistics
research into the optimisation of intermodal freight using optimised systems
development of a market based approach to urban freight access
systems architectures and intermodal freight
eLogistics field research and gap analysis
rail freight logistics and operations on a continental cross border scale
senior research associate
Chair of the BESTFACT conference on “Green Logistics and Co-modality”, Vienna, Sept 2013
Invited speaker and moderator at the European ITS conference, Dublin June 2013
Chair of the “Rail Freight Without Borders” Conference, Budapest 2012.
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, 2011.
Member of the European Railway Research Advisory Council.
Invited member of the Tyne and Wear Freight on Rail group, 2011-present.
Invited member of the Tyne and Wear Freight Quality Partnership, 2010-present.
Chair of the FREIGHTWISE International Conference; London, UK, April 2010
Invited Speaker and Chair at the 2nd European Conference on ICT for Transport Logistics; Venice, IT,
Chair of FREIGHTWISE International Conference; Prague, CZ, December 2008
Invited Chair at the BESTUFS International Conference, Athens, Greece, June 2008
Invited to write leading opinion piece in Rail Freight Handbook 2008
Chair of FREIGHTWISE International Conference; Newcastle, UK, December 2007
Presented paper on “Methodology for City Freight Solutions” at ‘eDrul/MEROPE/CITYPORTS’ conference Florence November 2004.
Articles published on Road Pricing in the CILT UK magazine FOCUS, October and November 2004
Article published in the ‘Freight Industry Yearbook 2004/2005’
Presented paper “Road pricing and effect on urban freight” at ‘The Sustainable City 2004’; Siena, Italy 18-19th June 2004.
Invited speaker at the Polish Logistics Congress; Poznan, Poland, 19-21st May 2004.
Invited speaker at ‘Integrated Intelligent Transport Solutions’; London, UK, March 2004
Keynote speaker on “Urban Freight in the European Union” at the Freight and Logistics Symposium; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 5th December 2004
Chair of the BESTUFS Conference on Urban Freight Logistics and the Environment; Copenhagen, May 2003
Chair of the BESTUFS Conference on Urban Freight and International Best Practice; Paris, June 2002
SMARTFUSION, smart urban freight, European Commission, 2012 to 2015
SPECTRUM, innovative rail freight, European Commission, 2012 to 2015
eFreight, ICT and Transport Logistics, European Commission, 2010 to 2012
SUPERGREEN, Green Corridors and Co-modality, European Commission, Jan 2010 to Dec 2013
BE LOGIC, logistics benchmarking and standards, European Commission, 01 Sept 2008 to 28 Feb 2011
KOMODA, eLogistics research, European Commission, 01 Jan 2008 to 31 Dec 2009
RETRACK, railfreight logistics research, European Commission, 01 May 2007 to 30 April 2011
FREIGHTWISE, systems and intermodality, European Commission, 01 November 2005 to 30 April 2009
BESTUFS 2, urban logistics research, European Commission, 01 September 2004 to 31 August 2008
PhD Student Supervision 2007-present
Rail Freight and Logistics Logistics MSc teaching 2010-present
- Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Jackson R, Siciliano G, Barontini F, Vaghi C. A feasibility study of passenger-like rail freight services for LDHV goods. In: 14th World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR). 2016, Shanghai, China.
- Aditjandra PT, Galatioto F, Bell MC, Zunder TH. Evaluating the impacts of urban freight traffic: application of micro-simulation at a large establishment. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research 2016, 16(1), 4-22.
- Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Palacin R. Green Rail Transportation : Improving Rail Freight to Support Green Corridors. In: Psaraftis, HN, ed. Green Transportation Logistics : The Quest for Win-Win Solutions. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, 2016, pp.413-454.
- Balm S, Amstel WPv, Habers J, Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH. The Purchasing Behavior of Public Organizations and its Impact on City Logistics. Transportation Research Procedia 2016, 12, 252-262.
- Zunder TH, Aditjandra PT, Islam DMZ, Tumasz MR, Carnaby B. Urban Freight Distribution. In: Michiel C.J. Bliemer; Corinne Mulley; Claudine Moutou, ed. Handbook on Transport and urban Planning in the Developed World. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016, pp.106-129.
- Islam DMZ, Jackson R, Zunder TH, Burgress A. Assessing the impact of the 2011 EU Transport White Paper - a rail freight demand forecast up to 2050 for the EU27. European Transport Research Review 2015, 7(3), 22.
- McLeod F, Cherrett T, Bailey G, Allen J, Browne M, Leonardi J, Aditjandra P, Zunder T. Sustainable procurement for greener logistics in the higher education sector. In: 20th Annual Logistics Research Network (LRN). 2015, Derby, UK: CILT (UK).
- Österle I, Aditjandra PT, Vaghi C, Grea G, Zunder TH. The role of a structured stakeholder consultation process within the establishment of a sustainable urban supply chain. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal 2015, 20(3), 284-299.
- Zunder TH, Aditjandra PT, Carnaby B. Developing a local research strategy for city logistics on an academic campus. International Journal of Urban Sciences 2014, 18(2), 262-277.
- Leonardi J, Browne M, Allen J, Zunder T, Aditjandra PT. Increasing urban freight efficiency with delivery and servicing plan. Research in Transportation Business & Management 2014, 12, 73-79.
- Islam DMZ, Zunder TH. The necessity for a new quality standard for freight transport and logistics in Europe. European Transport Research Review 2014, 6(4), 397-410.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A, Zunder T, Rizzetto L, Ricci S, Todorova M, Dzhaleva A, Karagyozov K, Trendafilov Z, Schlingensiepen J. A supply-demand study of practice in rail logistics higher education. Journal of Transport Literature 2013, 7(2), 338-351.
- Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Mortimer PN, Aditjandra PT. How far has open access enabled the growth of cross border pan European rail freight? A case study. Research in Transportation Business & Management 2013, 6, 71-80.
- Islam DMZ, Zunder TH. Issues of eLogistics applications for varying stakeholders: findings from an online survey. European Transport Research Review 2013, 5(2), 65-78.
- Islam DMZ, Meier FM, Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH, Pace G. Logistics and supply chain management. Research in Transport Economics 2013, 41(1), 3-16.
- Islam DMZ, Zunder TH, Jorna RAM. Performance evaluation of an online benchmarking tool for European freight transport chains. Benchmarking: an International Journal 2013, 20(2), 233-250.
- Woroniuk C, Marinov M, Zunder T, Mortimer P. Time Series Analysis of Rail Freight Services by the Private Sector in Europe. Transport Policy 2013, 25, 81-93.
- Zunder TH, Westerheim H, Jorna R, Pedersen JT. Is it Possible to Manage and Plan Co-Modal Freight Transport Without a Centralised System?. International Journal of Applied Logistics (IJAL) 2012, 3(2), 15.
- Islam DMZ, Zunder TH, Zomer G. The potential of a pan European rail freight service using hub and spoke model. International Journal of Logistics and Transport 2010, 4(2), 21-30.
- Zunder TH, Dellinger JC. City Freight: Evaluation methodology for urban freight transport. In: Ambrosino, G; Boero, M;Nelson, JD; and Romanazzo, M, ed. Systems and Advanced Solutions for eLogistics in the Sustainable City Policies and e-Technologies for Sustainable Freight Distribution in Urban Areas. Rome: ENEA, 2006, pp.299-310.
- Zunder TH, Ibanez JN. Road pricing and effect on urban freight. In: The Sustainable City III: Urban Regeneration and Sustainability. 2004, Siena, Italy: WIT Press.
- Zunder TH, Nicolás IJ. Urban freight logistics in the European Union. European Transport \ Trasporti Europei 2004, (28), 77-84.