Our Undergraduate Degrees
** NOTE: new degree MEng Mechanical Engineering with Energy available from September 2017: NOW OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS **
We offer the following degree programmes, which cover the related areas of mechanical, materials and manufacturing engineering.
The main emphasis is on the technical core of engineering and you will therefore need to have an enthusiastic attitude towards subjects such as mathematics and science.
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng Honours)
- Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering (BEng Honours)
- Mechanical Engineering (MEng Honours)
- Mechanical and Low Carbon Transport Engineering (MEng Honours)
- Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering (MEng Honours)
- Mechanical Engineering with Mechatronics (MEng Honours)
- Mechanical Engineering with Biomedical Engineering (MEng Honours)
- NEW: Mechanical Engineering with Energy (MEng Honours)
All our degrees have been CEng (Chartered Engineer) accredited by the appropriate professional bodies the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (formerly the Institution of Electrical Engineers).
We also have Foundation Years for all of our degree programmes. These Foundation Years are for students who have good qualifications, but who do not have the specific requirements needed to enter straight on to a degree programme (ie not having sufficient maths or physical science background).
Check out our Undergraduate Admissions Policy (PDF: 87KB) for more information on how we select our students. You may also want to look at our Summary Degree Structure for an overview of your 3 or 4 years of study.
We offer a blend of Engineering Science and Engineering Applications taught by active research staff and Chartered Engineers, all in a real industrial context.
We've a wide variety of fully IMechE accredited courses:
- 2 BEng (hons) and 6 MEng (hons) degrees, with flexible choice after two years
- 9 MSc courses
- MPhil & PhD
Our links with industry
We have a very high level of involvement with the engineering industry, offering all students:
- many projects working with and in industry
- a 3 month industrial project
- industrial visits
- practice interviews with local companies
2 UK National Centres: Gear Metrology, and X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy.
Newcastle University is in the top 1% universities in world (QS 2015). We're second in UK with 5 stars from QS (5* in all categories).
Newcastle is frequently voted the UK’s 'Best University Town', with a beautiful location, open and friendly reputation, and a low cost of living.
- State-of-the-art CAD / CAE facilities
- Formula Student & Design-Make-Test projects in 1st, 2nd & 3rd year
- a system of Personal Tutors and high quality support for students
- very high levels of employability, well above the national average (often 100%)
- a long tradition with an eye on the future (Bio, Nano, Transport, etc)