Professor Stuart Parker
Wm Leech Prof of Geriatric Medicine & CRN Specialty Cluster Lead
- Telephone: +44 (0)91 2081215
I have recently been appointed (April 2015) as Theme Lead for Ageing, Dementias & Neurodegeneration, Neurological Disorders and Genetics in the NIHR Clinical Research Network. Previous contributions to the work of the NIHR have included vice chair NIHR CRN Ageing Specialty Group (2009-2015), associate director of the NIHR South Yorkshire Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC (2008-13)) and Director of Research and Development at the Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2008-13).
Since July 2013 I have been Professor of Geriatric Medicine at Newcastle University and a consultant physician at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust where I am helping to develop an acute inpatient service for frail older people. Previously I held a chair at the University of Sheffield and an honorary consultant appointment in Barnsley Hospital NHSFT. My clinical practice is focused on providing comprehensive assessment and management for frail older people in acute hospital care.
I have been actively involved in health service management for many years, serving as a clinical director in an acute hospital trust. I have held leadership roles in both the acute and community health care sectors, with service providers and commissioners, including a spell chairing a joint agency group which commissioned integrated services for older people for a health and social care catchment.
My engagement in acute and community clinical services for older people is underpinned by a research programme in applied research in health care for older people, particularly focused on models of care for older patients in intermediate, acute and sub-acute care.
In recent years, I have focused on applied health research and implementation, as Vice chair NIHR Age & Ageing Specialty Group (2009-date), associate director of the NIHR South Yorkshire Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC (2008-13)) and Director of Research and Development at the Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2008-13). The South Yorkshire CLAHRC was one of 9, £20M collaborations which were awarded in England in 2008.
I have contributed to international research policy through participation in the development of a road map for ageing research in Europe(FUTURAGE), and I am collaborating internationally in Europe on a programme to increase the health life expectancy of European citizens through innovation (INNOVAGE).
Currently I serve as acting chair of the NIHR CRN Specialty Group for Ageing
Most recently, I am leading (with Simon Conroy, Leicester) a NIHR funded project on acute hospital care for frail older people in which we will describe existing models of care and develop and validate tools to deliver Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment on a hospital wide basis.
Recently I have been appointed as chair of the examination board for the Diploma in Geriatric Medicine examination for the Royal College of Physicians of London. Previously I have been both the senior clinical and written examiner. In these roles I have contributed to the design and development of a new clinical examination which will be implemented in 2015.
In 2011 I led a successful bid to the White Rose University consortium for a PhD Studentship Network on A Multidisciplinary Approach for Supporting An Ageing Population, and (together with colleagues in Leeds and York) lead a joint studentship network (with ESRC funding) on Ageing and Dementia (6PhD Students in all. I have been co-supervisor for 2 of these).
Between 2008-13, I was associate director of the South Yorkshire CLAHRC which supported the development of NHS workforce through the supervision of 54 PhD students, 60 MSc students and 3 MD degrees in applied health research and implementation.
Currently I provide clinical and educational supervision for junior doctors and specialty trainees, ward based teaching, and mentorship for Newcastle Medical Students, and am always interested to hear from potential postgraduate trainees from clinical and non clinical backgrounds.
- Parker SG, McCue P, Phelps K, McCleod A, Arora S, Nockels K, Kennedy S, Roberts H, Conroy S. What is Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment (CGA)? An umbrella review. Age and Ageing 2018, 47(1), 149-155.
- Parker SG, McLeod A, McCue P, Phelps K, Bardsley M, Roberts HC, Conroy SP. New Horizons in Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment. Age and Ageing 2017, 46(5), 713-721.
- Yarnell AJ, Sayer AA, Clegg A, Rockwood K, Parker S, Hindle JV. New Horizons in Multimorbidity in Older Adults. Age and Ageing 2017, 46(6), 882-888.
- Collerton J, Jagger C, Yadegarfar ME, Davies K, Parker SG, Robinson L, Kirkwood TBL. Deconstructing Complex Multimorbidity in the Very Old: Findings from the Newcastle 85+ Study. BioMed Research International 2016, 2016, 8745670.
- Jackson VE, Ntalla I, Sayers I, Morris R, Whincup P, Casas J-P, Amuzu A, Choi M, Dale C, Kumari M, Engmann J, Kalsheker N, Chappell S, Guetta-Baranes T, McKeever TM, Palmer CNA, Tavendale R, Holloway JW, Sayer AA, Dennison EM, Cooper C, Bafadhel M, Barker B, Brightling C, Bolton CE, John ME, Parker SG, Moffat MF, Wardlaw AJ, Connolly MJ, Porteous DJ, Smith BH, Padmanabhan S, Hocking L, Stirrups KE, Deloukas P, Strachan DP, Hall IP, Tobin MD, Wain LV. Exome-wide analysis of rare coding variation identifies novel associations with COPD and airflow limitation in MOCS3, IFIT3 and SERPINA12. Thorax 2016, 71(6), 501-509.
- Miller S, Henry AP, Hodge E, Kheirallah AK, Billington CK, Rimington TL, Bhaker SK, Obeidat M, Melen E, Merid SK, Swan C, Gowland C, Nelson CP, Stewart CE, Bolton CE, Kilty I, Malarstig A, Parker SG, Moffatt MF, Wardlaw AJ, Hall IP, Sayers I. The Ser82 RAGE Variant Affects Lung Function and Serum RAGE in Smokers and sRAGE Production In Vitro. PLOS One 2016, 11(10), e0164041.
- Vethanayagam N, Orrell A, Dahlberg L, Mckee KJ, Orme S, Parker SG, Gilhooly M. Understanding help-seeking in older people with urinary incontinence: An interview study. Health and Social Care in the Community 2016, 25(3), 1061-1069.
- Dixon S, Nancarrow SA, Enderby PM, Moran AM, Parker SG. Assessing patient preferences for the delivery of different community-based models of care using a discrete choice experiment. Health Expectations 2015, 18(5), 1204-1214.
- Parker SG, Rimmer M, Reed H, Heller B, Leitao R, Gerrish K, Mawson S, Grindell C. Innovage: Developing an Intergenerational Social Innovation to Encourage Physical Activity. In: Gerontological Society of America 68th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2015, Orlando, USA: Oxford University Press.
- Iwarsson S, Jagger C, Lamura G, Wahl H, Parker SG, Walker A, Svensson T. The Innovage - A European Project on Social Innovations. In: Gerontological Society of America 68th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2015, Orlando, USA: Oxford University Press.
- Bentley CL, Mountain GA, Thompson J, Fitzsimmons DA, Lowrie K, Parker SG, Hawley MS. A pilot randomised controlled trial of a Telehealth intervention in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: challenges of clinician-led data collection. Trials 2014, 15, 313.
- Craigs CL, Twiddy M, Parker SG, West RM. Understanding causal associations between self-rated health and personal relationships in older adults: A review of evidence from longitudinal studies. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 2014, 59(2), 211-226.
- Orrell A, McKee K, Dahlberg L, Gilhooly M, Parker S. Improving continence services for older people from the service-providers' perspective: a qualitative interview study. BMJ Open 2013, 3, e002926.
- Parker SG, Hawley MS. Telecare for an ageing population?. Age & Ageing 2013, 42(4), 424-425.
- Forster SE, Powers HJ, Foulds GA, Flower DJ, Hopkinson K, Parker SG, Young TA, Saxton J, Pockley AG, Williams EA. Improvement in Nutritional Status Reduces the Clinical Impact of Infections in Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2012, 60(9), 1645-1654.
- Bichard J-A, van den Heuvel E, Jowitt F, Gilhooly M, Parker SG, Long A, Ratcliffe NM, McKee KJ, Gaydecki P. Tackling Ageing Continence through Theory, Tools & Technology (TACT3). International Journal of Aging and Society 2012, 1(2), 83-96.
- Conroy SP, Stevens T, Parker SG, Gladman JR. A systematic review of comprehensive geriatric assessment to improve outcomes for frail older people being rapidly discharged from acute hospital: 'interface geriatrics'. Age and Ageing 2011, 40(4), 436-443.
- McMurdo ME, Roberts H, Parker S, Wyatt N, May H, Goodman C, Jackson S, Gladman J, O'Mahony S, Ali K, Dickinson E, Edison P, Dyer C, Age and Ageing Specialty Group NIHR Comprehensive Clinical Research Network. Improving recruitment of older people to research through good practice. Age and Ageing 2011, 40(6), 659-665.
- Parker SG, Conroy S. Poor inpatient care for older people. British Medical Journal 2011, 342, d373.
- Parker SG, Oliver P, Pennington M, Bond J, Jagger C, Enderby P, Curless R, Vanoli A, Fryer K, Julious S, John A, Chater T, Cooper C, Dyer C. Rehabilitation of older patients: day hospital compared with rehabilitation at home. Clinical outcomes. Age and Ageing 2011, 40(5), 557-562.
- Matlabi H, Parker SG, McKee K. The contribution of home-based technology to older people's quality of life in extra care housing. BMC Geriatrics 2011, 11, 68.
- Tulah AS, Parker SG, Moffatt MF, Wardlaw AJ, Connolly MJ, Sayers I. The role of ALOX5AP, LTA4H and LTB4R polymorphisms in determining baseline lung function and COPD susceptibility in UK smokers. BMC Medical Genetics 2011, 12(1), 173-183.
- Beghe B, Hall IP, Parker SG, Moffatt MF, Wardlaw A, Connolly MJ, Fabbri LM, Ruse C, Sayers I. Polymorphisms in IL13 pathway genes in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Allergy 2010, 65(4), 474-81.
- Forster SE, Jones L, Saxton JM, Flower DJ, Foulds G, Powers HJ, Parker SG, Pockley AG, Williams EA. Recruiting older people to a randomised controlled dietary intervention trial - how hard can it be?. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2010, 10, 17.
- Cameron ID, Crotty M, Gray L, Kurrle SE, Peel NM, Monaghan N, Parker SG. Whither Transition Care. Australasian Journal on Ageing 2010, 29(4), 147-149.
- Melis RJ, Meeuwsen EJ, Parker SG, Olde Rikkert MG. Are memory clinics effective? The odds are in favour of their benefit, but conclusive evidence is not yet available. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 2009, 102(11), 456-7.
- Sheaff R, Boaden R, Sargent P, Pickard S, Gravelle H, Parker S, Roland M. Impacts of case management for frail elderly people: a qualitative study. Journal of Health Services & Research Policy 2009, 14(2), 88-95.
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Freeman J, Enderby P, Dixon S, Parker S, Bradburn M. Looking inside the black box of community rehabilitation and intermediate care teams in the United Kingdom: an audit of service and staffing. Quality in Primary Care 2009, 17(5), 323-33.
- Parker SG, Oliver P, Pennington M, Bond J, Jagger C, Enderby PM, Curless R, Chater T, Vanoli A, Fryer K, Cooper C, Julious S, Donaldson C, Dyer C, Wynn T, John A, Ross D. Rehabilitation of older patients: day hospital compared with rehabilitation at home. A randomised controlled trial. Health Technology Assessment 2009, 13(39), 1-143.
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Parker S. Understanding service context: development of a service pro forma to describe and measure elderly peoples' community and intermediate care services. Health & Social Care in the Community 2009, 17(5), 434-46.
- Kaambwa B, Bryan S, Barton P, Parker H, Martin G, Hewitt G, Parker S, Wilson A. Costs and health outcomes of intermediate care: results from five UK case study sites. Health & Social Care in the Community 2008, 16(6), 573-81.
- Melis RJ, van Eijken MI, Teerenstra S, van Achterberg T, Parker SG, Borm GF, van de Lisdonk EH, Wensing M, Rikkert MG. Multidimensional Geriatric Assessment: Back to the Future A Randomized Study of a Multidisciplinary Program to Intervene on Geriatric Syndromes in Vulnerable Older People Who Live at Home (Dutch EASYcare Study). Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2008, 63(3), 283-290.
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Enderby P, Parker S, Dixon S, Mitchell C, Bradburn M, McClimens A, Gibson C, John A, Borthwick A, Buchan J. The impact of workforce flexibility on older people's services. International Journal of Therapy & Rehabilitation 2008, 15(9), 374-5.