Dr Swethajit Biswas
Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology at Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4388
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology (Sarcoma & Neuro-Oncology) at Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
CLINICAL: I am currently lead for systemic therapies in Bone and non-GIST Soft-Tissue Sarcomas for patients over 19 years old in the North East in one of five DoH centrally funded supra-regional sarcoma surgical centers within the UK.
Additionally, I administer systemic therapies to patients with HIV-induced solid tumours, gliomas, and super-rare malignancies at the Northern Centre for Cancer Cancer (NCCC) at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
I am PI for biobanks in sarcomas and neurological tumours under the auspices of the Newcastle University BioBank which also permits blood collection and buccal swabs from our patients.
I am was PI on a Hedgehog signalling phase II trial in advanced chondrosarcoma and co-investigator on various phase II & III trials in sarcomas. Additionally, I have experience in using anti-angiogenic therapies and other targeted agents in adult cancer medicine.
I am currently a member of the National Brain Tumour CSG group.
RESEARCH: I am developing translational research interests in tumour metabolism, cancer-host interactions, comparative human & canine sarcoma biology, as well as trying to develop novel models of sarcoma biology to replace traditional laboratory xenografts within the auspices of the NC3R criteria from the major national research funding bodies.
My primary translational research interests are in bone sarcomas and glioma biology with a developing focus on:
1). Development of cell surface zinc-peptidases as biomarkers in human sarcomas and the role of zinc-peptidases in sarcoma cell invasion. This is in collaboration with Professor John Lunec at the NICR and with colleagues in the Musculoskeletal Research Group (MRG) in Newcastle University - Dr Kenneth Rankin, Academic Clinical Lecturer in Orthopaedics & Dr Mark Birch, Senior Lecturer in Bone Biology.
2). Tumour metabolism & redox mechanisms within the cancer cell and host stroma. Principally initiating translational studies in human gliomas.
3). Comparative biology of human and canine sarcomas with collaborations at Cambridge University Vet School, the Animal Health Trust in Cambridgeshire and Royal (Dick) Vet School at Edinburgh University
4). Development of novel models that spare the use of traditional rodent models in cancer research with Dr Bill Chaudhry at the Institute of Genetic Medicine (IGM) at Newcastle University.
TeachingI currently supervise BSc, MRes & MPhil students and I am a tutee to clinical students on the MB BS medicine programme at Newcastle University Medical School.
- Biswas S, Wood M, Joshi A, Bown N, Strain L, Martinsson T, Campbell J, Ashworth A, Swain A. Exome sequencing of an adult pituitary atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor. Frontiers in Oncology 2015, 5, 236.
- Biswas S, Wood M, Joshi A, Bown N, Strain L, Kane P, Martinsson T, Garrido J, Campbell J, Swain A, Ashworth A. Whole-exome sequencing of an adult pituitary atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT) - A not so simple genome as pediatric AT/RT. In: AACR Annual Meeting 2014. 2014, San Diego, CA: American Association for Cancer Research.
- Biswas S, Charlesworth P, Turner GDH, Leek R, Thamboo PT, Campo L, Turley H, Dildey P, Protheroe A, Cranston D, Gatter KC, Pezzella F, Harris AL. CD31 Angiogenesis and Combined Expression of HIF-1α & HIF-2α are Prognostic in Primary Clear-Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma (CC-RCC), but HIFα Transcriptional Products are Not: Implications for Antiangiogenic Trials and HIFα Biomarker Studies in Primary CC-RCC. Carcinogenesis 2012, 33(9), 1717-1725.
- Biswas S, Lunec J, Bartlett K. Non-glucose metabolism in cancer cells—is it all in the fat?. Cancer and Metastasis Reviews 2012, 31(3-4), 689-698.
- Rankin KS, Starkey M, Lunec J, Gerrand CH, Murphy S, Biswas S. Of Dogs and Men: Comparative Biology as a Tool for the Discovery of Novel Biomarkers and Drug Development Targets in osteosarcoma. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2012, 58(3), 327-333.
- Biswas S, Rankin KS, Long A, Jackson J, Howard R, Nisar S, Birch M, Lunec J. The prognostic role of MT1-MMP and HIF Isoforms in Human Osteosarcoma. In: American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). 2012, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Biswas S, Eisen T. The management of renal cancer. In: Ajithkumar, T.V., Barrett, A., Hatcher, H., Cook, N, ed. Oxford Desk Reference: Oncology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Cook N, Basu B, Biswas S, Kareclas P, Mann C, Palmer C, Thomas A, Nicholson S, Morgan B, Lomas D, Sirohi B, Mander AP, Middleton M, Corrie PG. A phase 2 study of vatalanib in metastatic melanoma patients. European Journal of Cancer 2010, 46(15), 2671-2673.
- Biswas S, Troy H, Leek R, Chung YL, Li JL, Raval RR, Turley H, Gatter K, Pezzella F, Griffiths JR, Stubbs M, Harris AL. Effects of HIF-1α and HIF2α on Growth and Metabolism of Clear-Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma 786-0 Xenografts. Journal of Oncology 2010, 2010, 757908.
- Basu B, Biswas S, Wrigley J, Sirohi B, Corrie P. Angiogenesis in cutaneous malignant melanoma and potential therapeutic strategies. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy 2009, 9(11), 1583-1598.
- Biswas S, Kelly J, Eisen T. Cytoreductive nephrectomy in metastatic clear-cell renal cell carcinoma: perspectives in the tyrosine kinase inhibitor era. The Oncologist 2009, 14(1), 52-59.
- Biswas S, Eisen T. Immunotherapeutic strategies in kidney cancer - when TKIs are not enough. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology 2009, 6(8), 478-487.
- Biswas S, Burke A, Cherian S, Williams D, Nicholson J, Horan G, Jefferies S, Williams M, Earl HM, Burnet NG, Hatcher H. Non-pineal supratentorial primitive neuro-ectodermal tumors (sPNET) in teenagers and young adults: Time to reconsider cisplatin based chemotherapy after cranio-spinal irradiation?. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2009, 52(7), 796-803.
- Biswas S, Eisen T. Adjuvant therapies in primary clear cell renal cell carcinoma. In: Bellmunt Molins, J, ed. Recent advances in renal cell carcinoma. Barcelona: Permanyer, 2008, pp.53-78.
- Li JL, Sainson RCA, Shi W, Leek R, Harrington LS, Preusser M, Biswas S, Turley H, Heikamp E, Hainfellner JA, Harris AL. Delta-like 4 Notch ligand regulates tumor angiogenesis, improves tumor vascular function, and promotes tumor growth in vivo. Cancer Research 2007, 67(23), 11244-11253.
- Biswas S, Nik S, Corrie PG. Severe gemcitabine-induced capillary-leak syndrome mimicking cardiac failure in a patient with advanced pancreatic cancer and high-risk cardiovascular disease. Clinical Oncology 2004, 16(8), 577-579.
- Gonzalez MA, Biswas S, Clifton L, Corrie PG. Treatment of neuroendocrine tumours with infusional 5-fluorouracil, folinic acid and streptozocin. British Journal of Cancer 2003, 89(3), 455-456.