Dr Anna Basu
NIHR Career Development Fellow and Honorary Consultant Paediatric Neurologist
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 1375
- Address: Level 3, Sir James Spence Institute (Child Health)
Institute of Neuroscience
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP
NIHR Career Development Fellow and Honorary Consultant Paediatric Neurologist
BMBCh (Oxford 1997)
MA (Cambridge 1998)
MRCPCH (London, 2000)
PhD (Newcastle, 2007)
1991 Institute of Biology, UK Award for highest A-level Biology examination mark, Oxford Board
1993 Rushton Vacation Research Studentship (Physiological Society)
1994 Tyars Prize, New Hall, Cambridge University
1994 Green College Graduate Award, Oxford University
1995 Hoffman La Roche Prize for Laboratory Medicine (jointly), Oxford University
2004 Best oral presentation (jointly) at Neuroscience North East meeting
2006 Best oral presentation (jointly), Paediatric Registrar Research Day, Northern Region
2010 Finalist, Bright Ideas in Health awards (NHS Innovations NE)
2012 Paul Polani Research Award, British Academy of Childhood Disability/RCPCH
2013 Ronnie MacKeith prize, British Paediatric Neurology Association (jointly)
2013 NIHR Clinical Trials Fellowship
2014 NIHR Career Development Fellowship
2017 Nominated for the John Stoboe Prichard Award, International Child Neurology Association
2016 - Associate Editor, Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology
Opponent for Ann-Kristin Gunnes Elvrum PHD Defence, Trondheim University, Norway, 2016
Opponent for Linda Nordstrand PHD Defence, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 2015
My research is in neurological disorders of children, particularly those of cerebral palsy and neurocognition. I am working on projects which address the way in which the motor system can adapt to early damage and the role of the mirror neuron system to motor learning, as well as ways of assessing motor function and motor planning. I am also studying interventions in perinatal stroke.
2016: Global Excellence Funding; Strategic Impact Funding (Newcastle University)
2016-2017: Physiotherapy Research Foundation £20 531 (Co-applicant). Motor assessment of preterm infants.
2015-2017: NIHR HTA £273 139. Standing frames as part of postural management for children with spasticity. What is the acceptability of a trial to determine the efficacy of standing frames? Co-Investigator.
2015-2016: Sparks Innovation Grant. £83 259. Participatory design of smart phone technology to support speech therapy for very young children with cerebral palsy. Co-Investigator.
2015: Newcastle University vacation studentship to Ayaka Tsutsumi
2015: Newcastle Healthcare Charity. Pilot feasibility study of early therapy intervention in perinatal stroke. £49 917. CI.
2014: NIHR Career Development Fellowship £759 885.
2014: Tiny Lives. £10 350. Development of videos and website to support an early therapy approach in perinatal stroke.
2014: Development and manualisation of a therapy-based intervention for infants at risk of hemiplegic cerebral palsy. £10 184. NIHR Research Capability Funding, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. CI.
2014: Wellcome Trust vacation scholarship to Katie Khong
2013: Play-based therapy to improve upper limb function in young children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. NIHR Research Capability Fund, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (to support OT input to trial) £10005.
2013: NIHR clinical trials fellowship
2012: Paul Polani Research Award, British Association of Childhood Disability (PI). The use of taping to improve thumb and wrist posture and hand use in infants with non-progressive brain lesions affecting hand function. £7473.
2011: Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University (CI): A tool for measuring motor planning deficits in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. £1000.
2011: WellChild Trust (CI): to study a play-based therapy approach for the upper limb in hemiplegic cerebral palsy. £46 733
2010: Special Trustees, Newcastle Healthcare Charity (CI). Development of an electronically instrumented pegboard test for assessing manual dexterity in children including those with significant motor disability. £4334
2009: Special Trustees, Newcastle Healthcare Charity. Study of effect of face training on face perception in prosopagnosia and in healthy controls (£1228).
PhD students Emma Kirkpatrick (completed) and Reem Basuodan.
I have helped a number of students to apply successfully for vacation studentships including Kelvin Leung (Newcastle University studentship 2011), Grace Tan (Wellcome Trust studentship 2008), Matthew French (Newcastle University studentship, 2008), Katie Khong (Wellcome Trust studentship 2014) and Ayaka Tsutsumi (Newcastle University, 2015).
Contributor to Oxford Specialist Handbook of Paediatric Neurology second edition, Oxford University Press
Facilitator, National Paediatric Epilepsy Training course (PET1), British Paediatric Neurology Association
Supervisor for SSC module for Newcastle medical students
Medical student seminar "Faints, fits and funny turns", Newcastle University
- Tho-Calvi SC, Thompson D, Saunders D, Agrawal S, Basu A, Chitre M, Chow MD, Gibbon F, Hart A, Tallur KK, Kirkham F, Kneen R, McCullagh H, Mewasingh L, Vassallo G, Vijayakumar K, Wraige E, Yeo TH, Ganesan V. Clinical features, course and outcomes of a UK cohort of paediatric moyamoya. Neurology 2017, 90(9), e763-e770.
- Basu AP, Kirkpatrick EV, Wright B, Pearse J, Best KE, Eyre JA. The Tyneside Pegboard Test: Development, validation, and observations in unilateral cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Basu A, Pearse J, Baggaley J, Watson R, Rapley T. Participatory design in the development of an early therapy intervention for perinatal stroke. BMC Pediatrics 2017, 17, 33.
- James PW, Basu A, Marcroft C. Lacey Assessment of Preterm Infants. Journal of Physiotherapy 2017, 63(4), 267-267.
- Basu AP, Pearse JE, Rapley T. Publishing protocols for trials of complex interventions before trial completion – potential pitfalls, solutions and the need for public debate. Trials 2017, 18, 5.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Basu A, Colver A, Kolehmainen N, Parr JR, Howel D, McColl E, Roberts A, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A qualitative study of young people’s experiences of using standing frames as part of postural management for cerebral palsy. Child Care, Health and Development 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Pearse J, Basu AP. ABILHAND-Kids questionnaire: responsive to change or room for change?. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2017, 59(5), 457-457.
- Basu AP, Pearse JE, Forsyth R, Baker M. Congenital mirror movements and unusual neurophysiology - is the reticulospinal tract to blame?. In: British Paediatric Neurology Association Annual Meeting. 2017, Cambridge: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Basu AP, Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse J. Critical appraisal leaves our upper limb therapy intervention trial misrepresented. Journal of Physiotherapy 2017, 63(3), 189-189.
- Basu A, Pearse JE, Baggaley J, Watson RM, Rapley T. Establishing the ingredients and mode of delivery of an early therapy intervention in perinatal stroke. In: British Paediatric Neurology Association Annual Meeting. 2017, Cambridge: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Basu AP. Of Mice, Men and Misunderstanding. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2017. In Press.
- James P, Basu A, Marcroft C. Lacey Assessment of Preterm Infants. Journal of Physiotherapy 2017, 63(4), 267-267.
- Raper J, Jenabi F, Lim A, Whittaker R, Anderson K, Basu A. Progressive weakness, ptosis and pseudomyopathic face as the presenting features in a patient with narcolepsy. In: British Paediatric Neurology Association Annual Meeting. 2017, Cambridge: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse JE, James P, Basu AP. Effect of parent-delivered action observation therapy on upper limb function in unilateral cerebral palsy: a randomised controlled trial. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2016, 58(10), 1049–1056.
- Basu A, Baggaley J, Simpson K. Case notes review of perinatal stroke in term and preterm infants in the Northern region over a 10 year period. In: Annual Conference of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2016, Liverpool: BMJ Group.
- Baggeley J, Kirkpatrick E, Pearse J, Basu AP. Experiences of using the ABILHAND-Kids questionnaire for children with unilateral CP in a UK setting. APCP Journal 2016, 7(1), 23-32.
- Basu A. Mapping corticospinal tract projection patterns in unilateral cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Keogh MJ, Daud D, Pyle A, Duff J, Griffin H, He L, Alston CL, Steele H, Taggart S, Basu AP, Taylor RW, Horvath R, Ramesh V, Chinnery PF. A novel de novo STXBP1 mutation is associated with mitochondrial complex I deficiency and late-onset juvenile-onset parkinsonism. Neurogenetics 2015, 16(1), 65-67.
- Kisler J, Pearse J, Wisher V, Robson S, Kelly S, Gardner D, Basu A. Can taping improve hand posture and use in infants with asymmetric cerebral palsy?. In: British Paediatric Neurology Assocation Annual Meeting. 2015, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Basu AP, Pearse J, Kelly S, Wisher V, Kisler J. Early intervention to improve hand function in hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Frontiers in Neurology 2015, 5, 281.
- Khong K, Serradilla J, Baker E, Preston H, Lambden C, Pearse J, Kirkpatrick E, Eyre J, Basu A. How does the assisting hand assessment relate to relative upper limb movement measured by actigraphy in children with hemiplegia?. In: British Paediatric Neurology Association Annual Meeting. 2015, Gateshead: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Basu A, Clowry G. Improving outcomes in cerebral palsy with early intervention: new translational approaches. Frontiers in Neurology 2015, 6, 24.
- Basu AP. Pathways to good hand function after early brain injury. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2015.
- Basu A, Taylor PN, Lowther E, Forsyth EO, Blamire A, Forsyth R. Structural connectivity in a paediatric case of anarchic hand syndrome. BMC Neurology 2015, 15, 234.
- Steele HE, Basu A, Gilmore C, Holden R, Chinnery PF. The Eye of the Tiger with Night Blindness: Retinitis Pigmentosa as a presenting feature of PKAN. In: British Paediatric Neurology Assocation Annual Meeting. 2015, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Forsyth R, Basu A. The promotion of recovery through rehabilitation after acquired brain injury in children. Development Medicine & Child Neurology 2015, 57(1), 16-22.
- Marcroft C, Dulson P, Basu AP, Hearn R, Embleton N. Does the Lacey Assessment predict cerebral palsy in extremely preterm infants? A pilot study. ACPC Journal 2014. In Press.
- Basu AP. Early intervention after perinatal stroke: opportunities and challenges. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2014, 56(6), 516-521.
- Kirkpatrick E, Pearse J, James P, Eyre J, Basu AP. Parent-delivered play-based therapy improves hand function in hemiplegic cerebral palsy. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability 26th Annual Meeting. 2014, Vienna, Austria: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Basu A, Kenny E, English P, Bruce S, Blamire A, Forsyth R. Anarchic hand syndrome following traumatic damage to the corpus callosum: structural imaging and functional connectivity. In: Annual Meeting of the British Paediatric Neurology Association. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Dunford J, Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse J, Eyre J, Basu A. Compliance with a parent-delivered play-based therapy approach to upper limb rehabilitation in hemiplegic cerebral palsy. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability 25th Annual Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse J, Basu AP. Motor planning ability is not related to lesion side or functional manual ability in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Experimental Brain Research 2013, 231(2), 239-247.
- Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse J, Eyre JA, Basu AP. Motor planning in childhood hemiplegia is biomechanically constrained. In: British Neuroscience Association Abstracts. 2013, The Barbican, London: BNA.
- George S, Basu AP, Forsyth RJ. Self-Assessment (paediatric neurology MCQs). Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2013. In Press.
- Abdel-Salam F, Basu AP, Johnson S, Devlin AM. Suspected pheochromocytoma in a patient with Guillain-Barré syndrome. Pediatrics 2013, 131(3), e955-e958.
- Anon, Basu AP. A Patient’s Journey: Visual Agnosia. BMJ 2012, 345, e7342.
- Basu AP, Eyre JA. A plea for consideration of the less-affected hand in therapeutic approaches to hemiplegia. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2012, 54(4), 380.
- Lazner MR, Basu AP, Klonin H. Non-invasive ventilation for infants with severe bronchiolitis: analysis and evidence. Paediatric Pulmonology 2012, 47(9), 909-916.
- Basu AP, Kirkpatrick EV, Pearse J, Boundford E, Gibson M, Eyre JA. Quantification of bimanual dexterity deficits in children with hemiplegia with a modified peg test. In: 4th International Cerebral Palsy Conference. 2012, Pisa, Italy: Tipografia Editrice Pisana snc.
- Basu AP, Bellis P, Whittaker RG, McKean M, Devlin A. Teaching NeuroImages: Alternating ptosis and Marcus Gunn jaw-winking phenomenon with PHOX2B mutation. Neurology 2012, 79(17), e153.
- Kirkpatrick EV, Basu AP, Eyre JA. Comparison of Electroencephalography and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation as Downstream Measures of the Neurophysiological Response to Action Observation. In: British Neuroscience Association Biennial Meeting. 2011, Harrogate, UK.
- Ling ITC, Basu AP, Kisler J, Kelly S, Gibson M, Pang K. Is Botulinum Toxin A (BTXA) to calf muscles as effective for children with Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis as for those with cerebral palsy?. In: Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology: Abstracts of the 23rd Annual Meeting of the European Academy of Childhood Disability 23rd Annual Meeting. 2011, Rome, Italy: Mac Keith Press.
- Basu AP, Pearse J, Kirkpatrick EV, Ling ITC, Tan GSL, Eyre JA. Raising awareness of the myth of the "unaffected hand" in childhood hemiplegia. In: 52nd Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Research. 2011, Newcastle upon Tyne: Nature Publishing Group.
- Basu A, Horvarth R, Esisi B, Birchall D, Chinnery PF. Recurrent stroke-like episodes in X-linked Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Neurology 2011, 77(12), 1205-1206.
- Basu A, Graziadio S, Smith M, Clowry GJ, Cioni G, Eyre JA. Developmental Plasticity Connects Visual Cortex to Motoneurons After Stroke. Annals of Neurology 2010, 67(1), 132-136.
- Graziadio S, Basu A, Tomasevic L, Zappasodi F, Tecchio F, Eyre JA. Developmental Tuning and Decay in Senescence of Oscillations Linking the Corticospinal System. Journal of Neuroscience 2010, 30(10), 3663-3674.
- Basu AP, Posner E, McFarland R, Turnbull DM. Kearns-Sayre Syndrome. eMedicine, 2010. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com.
- Basu AP, George SM, Udpa G, Friswell M, Devlin AM, Abinun M, Pang KK. Spotting the wolf in sheep's clothing. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Education and Practice Edition 2010, 95(4), 105-111.
- Basu AP, Graziadio S, Smith M, Clowry GJ, Cioni G, Eyre JA. Visual Cortical Neurophysiology with Ipsilateral Sensorimotor Cortical Lesions Response. Annals of Neurology 2010, 68(1), 118-119.
- Basu A, Brown S, Kirkham N, Venkateswaran R, Leech S, Devlin A. Coma blisters in two children on anticonvulsant medication. Journal of Child Neurology 2009, 24(8), 1021-1025.
- Basu A. Book Review: The Clinical Neurophysiology Primer. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2008, 12(2), 148.
- Graziadio S, Basu AP, Zappasodi F, Tecchio FM, Eyre JA. Development of contralateral and ipsilateral cortico-muscular coherence from childhood to old age. In: Neuroscience 2008: 38th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. 2008, Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience.
- Basu AP, Biagi L, Tosetti M, Kirkman M, Green G, Eyre J. Induced gamma oscillations and fMRI BOLD response are inversely related to difficulty of speech perception task. In: Neuroscience 2008: 38th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. 2008, Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience.
- Basu A. Paediatric Neurology; Forsyth, R; Newton, R; 2007. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2008, 12(1), 61.
- Irving C, Basu A, Richmond S, Burn J, Wren C. Twenty-year trends in prevalence and survival of Down syndrome. European Journal of Human Genetics 2008, 16(11), 1336-1340.
- Basu AP. [PhD Thesis] Development of paradigms for future assessment of cortical plasticity during development and following early lesions. Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle, 2007. Clinical Medical Sciences (Child Health).
- Basu A. Child Neurology; Menkes, JH; Sarnat, HB; Maria, BL (eds.). European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2007, 11(1), 58.
- Basu AP, Kumar P, Devlin AM, O'Brien CJ. Cystic fibrosis presenting with bilateral facial palsy. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2007, 11(4), 240-242.
- Basu AP, Kelly T, Greening N, Mafeld S, Eyre JA. Evidence for a lack of early structural facial encoding in a child with prosopagnosia acquired in infancy. In: Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 11th Annual Spring Meeting. 2007, York, UK.
- Basu AP, Mafeld S, Eyre JA. Evoked potentials reveal a smaller P2 to photos of own face compared with famous and unknown faces. In: Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. 2007, San Diego, CA.
- Irving C, Basu A, Wren C. Twenty year trends in live birth prevalence of Down’s syndrome: an analysis of influences in 1985-2004. In: Archives of Disease in Childhood: Abstracts of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 10th Spring Meeting. 2006, University of York, UK: BMJ Group.
- Basu A. [Review] Child public health. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2005, 52(2), 152.
- Basu AP, Greening NJ, Green GGR, Fisher K, Edwards K, Eyre JA. A face-specific potential identified by independent component analysis distinguishes between upright and inverted faces in individual subjects. In: British Neuroscience Association Abstracts. 2005, British Neuroscience Association.
- Gittins N, Basu A, Eyre J, Gholkar A, Moghal N. Cerebral vasculitis in a teenager with Goodpasture's syndrome. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2004, 19(12), 3168-3171.
- Basu AP. Essential sources in the scientific study of consciousness (book review). European Journal of Paediatric Neurology. 2004. 8(4), 226.
- Basu AP, Green GGR, Eyre JA. Gamma oscillations induced by speech recognition. Program number 486.6 2004 Abstract viewer/Itinerary planner, Society for Neuroscience. 2004. Available at: http://web.sfn.org/.
- Basu AP, Carey P, Cynober T, Chetty M, Delaunay J, Stewart GW, Richmond S. Dehydrated hereditary stomatocytosis with transient perinatal ascites. Archives of Disease in Childhood (Fetal and Neonatal edition) 2003, 88(5), F438-F439.
- Basu AP. [Book review] Neuroanatomical basis of clinical neurology. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2002, 6(4), 237.
- Basu A, Ramesh V, Goonetilleke A, Gardner-Medwin D. Novel phenotype of respiratory muscle weakness, optic atrophy, deafness and neuropathy. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2001, 5(5), P338.
- Basu AP, Wren C. Trends in live birth and survival beyond one year in babies with Down Syndrome with and without congenital heart disease. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2001, 84(s1), A39.
- Crowley JJ, Huang CL-H, Gates ARC, Basu A, Shapiro LM, Carpenter TA, Hall LD. A quantatitive description of dynamic left ventricular geometry in anaesthetised rats using magnetic resonance imaging. Experimental Physiology 1997, 82, 887-904.
- Basu AP, Turton AJ, Lemon RN. Activation of ipsilateral upper limb muscles by transcranial magnetic brain stimulation in man. Journal of Physiology 1994, 479.P, 144P.