Chair of Board of Studies, Food & Human Nutrition BSc (Newcastle and Singapore)
1983 - Present, Newcastle University
1983 – 1986 Demonstrator, Department of Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
1986 – 1992 Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1993 – 1994 Senior Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1994 – 1998 Lecturer (Grade B), Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1998 – 2005 Lecturer (Grade B) in Food Studies, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences; then School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development (AFRD).
2005 – 2008 Senior Lecturer in Food Studies, AFRD.
2008 – Present Professor of Food & Human Nutrition, AFRD.
Institute of Food Science and Technology
American Association of Cereal Chemists
Effect of diet on health and disease, with a particular focus on the role of wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables in cardiovascular disease prevention.
Effects of diet on antioxidant status and possible consequences in health and disease.
Department of Health-funded dietary intervention to investigate the effect of increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables and beetroot on cardiovascular risk factors.
Previous research includes large-scale dietary interventions funded by the Food Standards Agency (a) to investigate effects of increased consumption of wholegrain foods on cardiovascular risk [joint project with the MRC-Human Nutrition Research Group, Cambridge], and (b) to assess the usefulness of alkylresorcinols and mammalian lignans and metabolomics as potential biomarkers of whole grain-intake.
Determining whole grain consumption in the UK population.
Behavioural studies have also been completed on the acceptability of whole grains and barriers to their consumption.
Antioxidant content of organic and conventional foodstuffs, and the effect of organic farming practices on food product composition and quality.
In addition to leading a number of research projects, and supervising postgraduate students, I have been a member of the steering committees of another FSA-funded projects in collaboration with members of the Human Nutrition Research Centre.
· Currently supervisor/joint supervisor of 8 postgraduate PhD research students [1 awaiting examination]
Supervisor/joint supervisor of 20 successful postgraduate research students (17 PhD, 3 MD); all submitted in less than 4 years. The following completed in the past 5 years:
· Rosie Dew (2015) 'Improvement of fruit product quality and shelf life by changing temperature conditions during transport and storage'. ASDA-funded studentship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt.
· Diky Ramdani (2014) Evaluation of tea and spent tea leaves as additives for their use in ruminant diets. Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture studentship. Joint supervisor (10%) with Dr Abdul Chaudhry.
· David Houghton (2014) ‘Modulation of fat digestion using bioactive alginates’. BBSRC studentship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Noha Almoraie (2014) ‘Dietary patterns in Saudi Arabian adults residing in different locations in Saudi Arabia and in the UK in relation to heart disease risk’. Saudi Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Georg Lietz.
· Peter Chater (2014) ‘Bioactive alginates and macronutrient digestion’. BBSRC studentship. Joint supervisor (30%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Hsu Ching-Yu (2013) 'Evaluation of antioxidant properties of some commercially available culinary and medicinal mushrooms from Taiwan'. Taiwan Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Ed Okello.
· Helen Kendall (2013) ‘Food provisioning and the domestic food handling practices of the over 60s in the North East of England’. Food Standards Agency Studentship. Joint Supervisor (27%) with Dr Mary Brennan and Dr Sharron Kuznesof.
· Salah Ali Al-Hebeil (2013) ‘Quantification of bread crust crispness including the effects of selected additives’. Libyan Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt.
· Eletheria Toufexi (2011) ‘Effect of hybrid and soil and foliar elicitor treatments on powdery mildew disease severity, crop performance and/or expression of disease resistance mechanisms in tomato and courgette plants. Joint Supervisor (20%) with Prof Carlo Leifert and Dr Stephen Wilcockson.
· Ahmed Z Javid (2010) 'Dietary antioxidant status in relation to oral health'. Iranian Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Dr Paula Moynihan.
· Nikolaos Volakakis, (2010) ‘Development of strategies to improve the quality and productivity of organic and ‘low input’ olive production systems in semi-arid Mediterranean regions. Greek State Scholarship Foundation. Joint supervisor (20%) with Prof Carlo Leifert, Dr E. Kabourakis and Dr D Kollaros.
· Javed Sultan (2010) MD 'Effect of perioperative immunonutrtion for oesophago-gastric cancer on antioxidant status, oxidative damage and clinical outcome'. Joint supervisor (100%) with Prof Mike Griffin.
ACE3090 Food & Human Nutrition Honours Projects (ML)
ACE3062 Sports and Exercise Nutrition (ML)
ACE3054 Plants as Food
ACE2059 Nutrition ans Metabolism
ACE2058 Research Methods for Food & Human Nutrition (ML)
ACE2040 Experimental Food Science (ML)
ACE1043 Introduction to Human Nutrition
ACE1041 Investigating Agri-Food Systems from Farm to Folk