Dr Judith Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8346
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 7424
- Personal Website: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/epithelia/
- Address: Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences
University of Newcastle
Newcastle Upon Tyne
BSc Biochemistry, University of Warwick
PhD University of Newcastle
Society for Immunology
Society for General Microbiology
Innate Defences of the Urinary Tract: Antimicrobial Proteins and Peptides
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a major health issue with up to 50% of the female population experiencing at least one episode in their lifetime and 1:4 suffering recurrent infections. Antibiotics are the mainstay treatment, but the use of such agents has led to increasing antimicrobial resistance amongst uropathogens. My group is focussed on understanding how the urinary tract defends itself against infection and why some people are more susceptible to recurrent urinary tract infections. Collaborators include Professor Robert Pickard, Mr Chris Harding (Newcastle University & Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust), Dr Phillip Aldridge (Newcastle University), Professor Jenny Southgate (University of York), Mr Ased Ali (Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield) and Prof Soman Abraham (Duke University).
Our focus has been on studying uncomplicated UTIs and our aims are to use clinical and in vitro approaches to:
Investigate whether patients suffering repeated uncomplicated rUTIs are genetically predisposed to such infections.
Understand the molecular interactions occurring between uropathogens and the vaginal and bladder epithelia.
Explore potential urothelial defence mechanisms that can be exploited in the development of new therapies to be used alongside or instead of antibiotics.
A new area of research focusses on complicated UTIs and particularly those linked to the use of intermittent single use catheters (ISC). This study funded by the Rosetrees Trust is exploiting clinical samples banked from an ongoing NIHR funded study called AnTIC, led by Professor Pickard. The study is exploring potential links between patient host genetics, infection and the isolation of antibiotic resistant uropathogens.
We acknowledge the ongoing support of our funders including the Rosetrees Trust, Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Dr WilliamEdmund Harker Foundation Studentship.
Past funders include The Wellcome Trust; Wellbeing of Women and MRC (PhD studentship).
- Ali ASM, Mowbray C, Lanz M, Stanton A, Bowen S, Varley CL, Hilton P, Brown K, Robson W, Southgate J, Aldridge P, Tyson-Capper A, Abraham S, Pickard RS, Hall J. Targeting Deficiencies in the TLR5 Mediated Vaginal Response to Treat Female Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 11039.
- Cadwell K, Niranji SS, Armstrong VL, Mowbray CA, Bailey R, Watson KA, Hall J. AvBD1 nucleotide polymorphisms, peptide antimicrobial activities and microbial colonisation of the broiler chicken gut. BMC Genomics 2017, 18, 637.
- Butler VL, Mowbray CA, Cadwell K, Niranji SS, Bailey R, Watson KA, Ralph J, Hall J. Effects of rearing environment on the gut antimicrobial responses of two broiler chicken lines. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 2016, 178, 29-36.
- Wenzel M, Prochnow P, Mowbray C, Vuong C, Hoxtermann S, Stepanek JJ, Albada HB, Hall J, Metzler-Nolte N, Bandow JE. Towards profiles of resistance development and toxicity for the small cationic hexapeptide RWRWRW-NH2. Front Cell Dev Biol 2016, 4, 86.
- Stanton AM, Lanz M, Townes CL, Ali ASM, Hall J, Pickard RS. Oestrogen and the innate epithelial defences of the uro-genital tract. In: Annual Meeting of the Society-of-Academic-and-Research-Surgery. 2014, Univ Cambridge, Robinson Coll, Cambridge, ENGLAND: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Gross N, Pal D, Williamson SC, Heer R, Robson CN, Pickard R, Hall J. Prostate specific antigen enhances the innate defence of prostatic epithelium against Escherichia coli infection. The Prostate 2013, 73(14), 1529-1537.
- Lanz ML, Ali A, Townes CL, Pickard R, Hall J. The Dectin-1 Receptor in the Urogenital Tract. In: British Association of Urological Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Bell S, Howard A, Wilson JA, Abbot EL, Smith WD, Townes CL, Hirst BH, Hall J. Streptococcus pyogenes infection of tonsil explants is associated with a human β-defensin 1 response from control but not recurrent acute tonsillitis patients. Molecular Oral Microbiology 2012, 27(3), 160-171.
- Gong G, Meplan C, Gautrey H, Hall J, Hesketh JE. Differential effects of selenium and knock-down of glutathione peroxidases on TNF alpha and flagellin inflammatory responses in gut epithelial cells. Genes & Nutrition 2012, 7(2), 167-178.
- Gautrey H, Nicol F, Sneddon AA, Hall J, Hesketh J. A T/C polymorphism in the GPX4 3 ' UTR affects the selenoprotein expression pattern and cell viability in transfected Caco-2 cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: General Subjects 2011, 1810(6), 284-291.
- Townes CL, Ali A, Robson W, Pickard R, Hall J. Tolerance of bacteriuria after urinary diversion is linked to antimicrobial Peptide activity. Urology 2011, 77(2), 509.e1-509.e8.
- Howard A, Townes C, Milona P, Nile CJ, Michailidis G, Hall J. Expression and functional analyses of liver expressed antimicrobial peptide-2 (LEAP-2) variant forms in human tissues. Cellular Immunology 2010, 261(2), 128-133.
- Ali ASM, Townes CL, Hall J, Pickard RS. Maintaining a Sterile Urinary Tract: The Role of Antimicrobial Peptides. Journal of Urology 2009, 182(1), 21-28.
- Townes CL, Michailidis G, Hall J. The interaction of the antimicrobial peptide cLEAP-2 and the bacterial membrane. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2009, 387(3), 500-503.
- Gautrey H, McConnell J, Lako M, Hall J, Hesketh J. Staufen1 is expressed in preimplantation mouse embryos and is required for embryonic stem cell differentiation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: Molecular Cell Research 2008, 1783(10), 1935-1942.
- Nile CJ, Townes CL, Hirst BH, Hall J. The novel avian protein, AWAK, contains multiple domains with homology to protease inhibitory modules. Molecular Immunology 2006, 43(4), 388-394.
- Gautrey H, McConnell J, Hall J, Hesketh J. Polarised distribution of the RNA-binding protein Staufen in differentiated intestinal epithelial cells. FEBS Letters 2005, 579(10), 2226-2230.
- Nile CJ, Townes CL, Michailidis G, Hirst BH, Hall J. Identification of chicken lysozyme g2 and its expression in the intestine. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 2004, 61(21), 2760-2766.
- Townes CL, Michailidis G, Nile CJ, Hall J. Induction of cationic chicken liver-expressed antimicrobial peptide 2 in response to Salmonella enterica infection. Infection and Immunity 2004, 72(12), 6987-6993.