Junior Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7215
I am a qualitative researcher with special interest in the use of ethnographic research methods. Much of my research within the institute has involved exploring the experiences of people with dementia and their carers in relation to healthcare and service provision. I am currently exploring the experiences of all stakeholders through PhD research around assessment of capacity, best interests and hospital discharge for people with dementia.
MSc Health Sciences - Newcastle University (2006)
BA Arts and Social Sciences (Sociology) - University of Strathclyde (2000)
Current research projects :
- SEED Programme - Supporting Excellence in End of Life Care in Dementia. Project Leader(s): Professor Louise Robinson
Previous research projects:
- CoDem - Co-morbidity and Dementia. Project Leader(s): Dr Frances Bunn (University of Hertfordshire); Professor Louise Robinson
A pragmatic randomised controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of Collaborative cARE for people with DEMentia in primary care (CARE-DEM trial).
Project Leader(s): Professor Louise Robinson
- Assessment of capacity and best interests in dementia on discharge from hospital Project Leader(s): Dr Julian Hughes
- Person- and carer-centred respite care for people with dementia: developing methods of evaluating the effectiveness of different models: Project Leader(s): Claire Bamford
- Improving patient safety through the involvement of patients: Promoting patient involvement in patient safety. Project Leader (s): Prof Richard Thomson
- MRC CFAS: The Medical Research Council Study of Cognitive Function and Ageing: Project Leader(s): Professor Carol Brayne, University of Cambridge
- North of England and Scotland Study of Tonsillectomy and Adeno-Tonsillectomy in Children (NESSTAC)Project Leader(s): John Bond, Martin Eccles, Janet Wilson
Although I do not have any formal teaching responsibilities; I am a social sciences tutor for first and second year medical students on the MMBS Programme
- Poole M, Bamford C, McLellan E, Lee RP, Exley C, Hughes JC, Harrison-Denning K, Robinson L. End of life care: a qualitative study comparing the views of people with dementia and family carers. Palliative Medicine 2017.
- Lee RP, Bamford C, Poole M, McLellan E, Exley C, Robinson L. End of life care for people with dementia: The views of health professionals, social care service managers and frontline staff on key requirements for good practice. PLoS ONE 2017, 12(6), e0179355.
- Bunn F, Burn A-M, Robinson L, Poole M, Rait G, Brayne C, Schoeman J, Norton S, Goodman C. Health care organisation and delivery for people with dementia and comorbidity: a qualitative study exploring the views of patients, carers and professionals. BMJ Open 2017, 2017, e013067.
- Bunn F, Burn A-M, Goodman C, Robinson L, Rait G, Norton S, Bennett H, Poole M, Schoeman J, Brayne C. Comorbidity and dementia: a mixed method study on improving healthcare for people with dementia (CoDem). Health services and delivery research 2016, 4(8), xxv, 156.
- Hill SR, Mason H, Poole M, Vale L, Robinson L. What is important at the end of life for people with dementia? The views of people with dementia and their carers. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2016, (ePub ahead of print).
- Hughes JC, Poole M, Louw SJ, Greener H, Emmett C. Residence capacity: its nature and assessment. BJPsych Advances 2015, 21(5), 307-312.
- Emmett C, Poole M, Bond J, Hughes JC. A Relative Safeguard? The Informal Roles that Families and Carers Play when Patients with Dementia are Discharged from Hospital into Care in England and Wales. International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family 2014, 28(3), 302-320.
- Poole M, Bond J, Emmett C, Greener H, Louw SJ, Robinson L, Hughes JC. Going home? An ethnographic study of assessment of capacity and best interests in people with dementia being discharged from hospital. BMC Geriatrics 2014, 14, 56.
- Iliffe S, Waugh A, Poole M, Bamford C, Brittain K, Chew-Graham C, Fox C, Katona C, Livingston G, Manthorpe J, Steen N, Stephens B, Hogan V, Robinson L, CAREDEM Research Team. The effectiveness of collaborative care for people with memory problems in primary care: results of the CAREDEM case management modelling and feasibility study. Health Technology Assessment 2014, 18(52).
- Bamford C, Poole M, Brittain K, Chew-Graham K, Fox C, Iliffe S, Manthorpe J, Robinson L, the CAREDEM team. Understanding the challenges to implementing case management for people with dementia in primary care in England: a qualitative study using Normalization Process Theory. BMC Health Services Research 2014, 14, 549.
- Emmett C, Poole M, Bond J, Hughes JC. Homeward bound or bound for a home? Assessing the capacity of dementia patients to make decisions about hospital discharge: comparing practice with legal standards. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 2013, 36(1), 73-82.
- Hughes JC, Poole M, Louw SJ. Nudging the older person into care: an end to the dilemma?. American Journal of Bioethics 2013, 13(6), 34-36.
- Emmett C, Poole M, Bond J, Hughes JC. Residence capacity: complexity and confusion. Elder Law Journal 2013, 3(2), 159-166.
- Greener H, Poole M, Emmett C, Bond J, Louw SJ, Hughes JC. Value judgements and conceptual tensions: decision-making in relation to hospital discharge for people with dementia. Clinical Ethics 2012, 7(4), 166-174.
- Kirkley C, Bamford C, Poole M, Arksey H, Hughes J, Bond J. The impact of organisational culture on the delivery of person-centred care in services providing respite care and short breaks for people with dementia. Health and Social Care in the Community 2011, 19(4), 498-448.
- Bamford C, Poole M, Hughes J, Kirkley C, Arksey H, Corner L, Bond J. Defining Person Centred Care: The Views of People with Dementia, Family Carers and Professionals. In: 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. 2009, Atlanta, GA: Oxford University Press.