Professor Neil Sheerin
Professor of Nephrology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7146
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
4th Floor, William Leech Building
The Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne
1987 BSc Biochemistry (1st class Hons), University of London
1990 MBBS (Hons), University of London
1993 MRCP (UK), London
2000 PhD, University of London
2010 FRCP, London
1999-2002 Wingate Lecturer, Nephrology and Transplantation, King’s College London
2002-2005 Wellcome Advanced Fellow, King's College London
2005-2007 Senior Lecturer, King’s College London
Memberships and Responsibilities
Britist Transplant Society
Association of Physicians of UK and Northern Ireland
UK Kidney Research Collaboration (UKKRC)
Renal Specialty Group lead for Northumberland, Tyne and Wear
The complement system is an integral part of the immate immune system. In health it is responsinble for the elimination of pathogens and immune complexes. Excessive activation can lead to to tissue injury. I am interested in the role played by complememt in various types of kidney injury including, glomerular disease, interstitial inflammation and ischaemia reperfusion injury.
Fibrosis is the common pathway that leads to organ failure in many diverse diseases affecting different organs. In the kidney interstitial fibrsosis is characteristic of all progressive nephropathies that lead to renal failure. Becasue of the importance of fibrosis in clinical disease it is vital that we understand the mechanisms of renal fibrosis so that novel therapeutic targets can be identified and drugs developed. My group is studying the underlying pathological processes that lead to kidney fibrosis. This includes the role of chronic inflammation, including the complement system, the cell signalling pathways that initiate a fibrotic response and testing novel therapeutic interventions in pre-clinical model systems of fibrosis. Work is also underway to identify new non-invasive biomarkers that identifypatients with progressive renal fibrosis.
I lead the renal clinical research group at the Freeman. This is a team of research nurses, a study co-ordinator and data manager. We actively participate in a wide range of NIHR portfolio clinical trials in all aspects of Nephrology and Transplantation. The infrastructure and research staff support allows clinical staff to develop their own clinical studies and for clinicians to be part of important national studies. My own clinical resarch integrates with basic science, but also includes studying the severity and cause of the symptoms experienced by patients with kidney disease.
I am the Senior Tutor for Intercalation with responsibility for medical students during their intercalated year.
I established and am the Degree Programme Director for the Post Graduate Certificate in Transplantation.
I also lead the teaching on Renal Week which provides nephrology teaching to year 4 students on the MBBS programme.
- Sevinc M, Johnson J, Stamp S, Carter N, Ling J, Sheerin N, Talbot D. Ex Vivo perfusion characteristics of DCD kidneys predict long-term graft survival. In: 17th Congress of the European Society for Organ Transplantation. 2015, Brussels, Belgium: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Barker CE, Thompson S, O'Boyle G, Lortat-Jacob H, Sheerin NS, Ali S, Kirby JA. CCL2 nitration is a negative regulator of chemokine-mediated inflammation. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 44384.
- Brocklebank V, Johnson S, Sheerin TP, Marks SD, Gilbert RD, Tyerman K, Kinoshita M, Awan A, Kaur A, Webb N, Hegde S, Finlay E, Fitzpatrick M, Walsh P, Wong EKS, Booth C, Kerecuk L, Salama A, Almond M, Inward C, Goodship TH, Sheerin N, Marchbank KJ, Kavanagh D. Factor H autoantibody is associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome in children in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Kidney International 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Connor TM, Hoer S, Mallett A, Gale DP, Gomez-Duran A, Posse V, Antrobus R, Moreno P, Sciacovelli M, Frezza C, Duff J, Sheerin NS, Sayer JA, Ashcroft M, Wiesener MS, Hudson G, Gustafsson CM, Chinnery PF, Maxwell PH. Mutations in mitochondrial DNA causing tubulointerstitial kidney disease. PLoS Genetics 2017, 13(3), e1006620.
- Thompson S, Martinez-Burgo B, Sepuru KM, Rajarathnam K, Kirby JA, Sheerin NS, Ali S. Regulation of chemokine function: The roles of GAG-binding and post-translational nitration. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2017, 18(8), 1692.
- Fearn A, Situmorang GR, Fox C, Oakley F, Howarth R, Wilson CL, Kiosia A, Robson MG, Mann DA, Moles A, Sheerin NS. The NF-kB1 is a key regulator of acute but not chronic renal injury. Cell Death and Disease 2017, 8, e2883.
- Sheerin N, Kavanagh D, Goodship THG, Johnson S. A national specialised service in England for atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome – the first year’s experience. QJM 2016, 109(1), 27-33.
- Kanagasundaram NS, Bevan MT, Sims AJ, Heed A, Price DA, Sheerin NS. Computerised clinical decision support for the early recognition and management of acute kidney injury: a qualitative evaluation of end-user experience. Clinical Kidney Journal 2016, 9(1), 57-62.
- Sevinc M, Stamp S, Ling J, Carter N, Talbot D, Sheerin N. Ex Vivo Perfusion Characteristics of Donation After Cardiac Death Kidneys Predict Long-Term Graft Survival. Transplantation Proceedings 2016, 48(10), 3251-3260.
- Fox C, Cocchiaro P, Oakley F, Howarth R, Callaghan K, Leslie J, Luli S, Wood KM, Genovese F, Sheerin NS, Moles A. Inhibition of lysosomal protease cathepsin D reduces renal fibrosis in murine chronic kidney disease. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 20101.
- Martinez Burgo M, Ali S, Kirby J, Sheerin N, Cobb S, Kashanin D. Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury Following Transplantation: Implications for the Modulation of CXCL8 Chemokine Function. In: 2016 American Transplant Congress. 2016, Boston, USA: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
- Menne J, Delmas Y, Fakhouri F, Kincaid JF, Licht C, Minetti EE, Mix C, Provot F, Rondeau E, Sheerin N, Wang J, Weekers LE, Greenbaum LA. Long-Term follow-up study of Eculizumab for prevention of thrombotic microangiopathy in patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. In: 53rd ERA-EDTA Congress. 2016, Vienna, Austria: Oxford University Press.
- Cocchiaro P, Fox C, Tregidgo NW, Howarth R, Wood KM, Situmorang GR, Pavone LM, Sheerin NS, Moles A. Lysosomal protease cathepsin D; a new driver of apoptosis during acute kidney injury. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 27112.
- Morton M, Chinnadurai R, Ahmed S, Sharma A, Dutt T, Bhutani S, Denley H, Augustine T, Goodship T, Sheerin N, Picton M. Management of Recurrent aHUS After Adult Kidney transplantation Despite Eculizumab Prophylaxis. In: 2016 American Transplant Congress. 2016, Boston, USA: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
- Legendre C, Campistol J, Feldkamp T, Wang J, Remuzzi G, Weekers L, Sheerin N. Renal Outcome with Eculizumab in Patients with aHUS with Native and Transplanted Kidneys: Pooled Analysis of 100 Patients. In: 2016 American Transplant Congress. 2016, Boston, USA: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
- Brooks AM, Carter V, Liew A, Marshall H, Aldibbiat A, Sheerin NS, Manas DM, White SA, Shaw JA. De Novo Donor-Specific HLA Antibodies Are Associated With Rapid Loss of Graft Function Following Islet Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes. American Journal of Transplantation 2015.
- Nichols E, Barbour TD, Pappworth IY, Wong EKS, Palmer J, Sheerin N, Pickering MC, Marchbank KJ. An extended mini-complement factor H molecule ameliorates experimental C3 glomerulopathy. Kidney International 2015, 88(6), 1314-1322.
- Khurram MA, Stamp S, Sheerin NS, Rix D, Cunningham AC, Carter N, Talbot T. Behaviour of Transplanted Tumours and Role of Matching in Rejection. Transplant Immunology 2015, 32(2), 121-125.
- Fearn A, Sheerin NS. Complement activation in progressive renal disease. World Journal of Nephrology 2015, 4(1), 31-40.
- Greenbaum LA, Delmas Y, Fakhouri F, Kincaid JF, Licht C, Minetti EE, Mix C, Provot F, Rondeau E, Sheerin N, Wang J, Weekers LE, Menne J. Eculizumab Prevents Thrombotic Microangiopathy: Long-Term Follow-up Study of Patients with Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. In: 57th Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2015, Orlando, Florida: American Society of Hematology.
- Licht C, Greenbaum LA, Muus P, Babu S, Bedrosian CL, Cohen D, Delmas Y, Douglas K, Furman R, Gaber O, Goodship T, Herthelius M, Hourmant M, Legendre C, Remuzzi G, Sheerin N, Trivelli A, Loirat C. Efficacy and safety of eculizumab in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome from 2-year extensions of phase 2 studies. Kidney International 2015, 87, 1061-1073.
- Bevan M, Heed A, Sheerin NS, Sims A, Price DA, Kanagasundaram NS. Electronic Clinical Decision Support for the Early Recognition and Management of Acute Kidney Injury: Qualitative Evaluation of End-User Experience. In: 52nd Congress of the ERA-EDTA. 2015, London, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Sims A, Heed A, Bevan M, Sheerin NS, Price DA, Kanagasundaram NS. Electronic clinical decision support for the early recognition and management of acute kidney injury: quantitative evaluation of outcomes. In: 52nd Congress of the ERA-EDTA. 2015, London, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Hill FJ, McCloskey SJ, Sheerin N. From a fish tank injury to hospital haemodialysis: the serious consequences of drug interactions. BMJ Case Reports 2015.
- Ferreras L, Sheerin NS, Kirby J, Ali S. Mechanisms of renal graft chronic injury and progression to interstitial fibrosis. Current Transplantation Reports 2015. In Press.
- Afridi F, Coates R, Brown A, Arunachalam C, Baines L, Sheerin N, Talbot D. Outcomes of ABOi Renal Transplants: A single centre experience over a seven year period. In: 17th Congress of the European Society for Organ Transplantation (ESOT 2015). 2015, Brussels, Belgium: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong E, Challis R, Sheerin N, Johnson S, Kavanagh D, Goodship TH. Patient stratification and therapy in atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS). Immunobiology 2015.
- Fox C, Howarth R, Callaghan K, Wood KM, Oakley F, Sheerin N, Moles A. Pepstatin A improves renal fibrosis by impairing UPA lysosomal recycling. In: 52nd ERA-EDTA Congress. 2015, London, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Ermini L, Weale ME, Brown KM, Howell WM, Vaughan R, Rebollo Mesa I, Chowdhury P, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Systematic assessment of the influence of complement gene polymorphisms on kidney transplant outcome. Immunobiology 2015, (In Press, Accepted Manuscript).
- Logan IR, Shuttleworth VG, Gaughan L, Nawafa LS, Sheerin NS. The Lysine Methyltransferase SETD7 is critical for TGF B-1 driven fibrosis. In: 52nd ERA-EDTA Congress. 2015, London, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Iqbal Z, Wood K, Carter V, Goodship TH, Brown AL, Sheerin NS. Thrombotic microangiopathy as a cause of chronic kidney transplant dysfunction: a case report demonstrating successful treatment with Eculizumab. Transplantation Proceedings 2015, 47(7), 2258–2261.
- Wilson CL, Murphy LB, Leslie J, Kendrick S, French J, Fox CR, Sheerin NS, Fisher A, Robinson JH, Tiniakos DG, Gray DA, Oakley F, Mann DA. Ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase 1: A novel functional marker for liver myofibroblasts and a therapeutic target in chronic liver disease. Journal of Hepatology 2015, 63(6), 1421-1428.
- Sheerin NS. Urinary tract infection. Medicine 2015, 43(8), 435-439.
- Parker S, Ali A, Sheerin N, Hall J, Pickard R. E. coli inhibits innate immunity to facilitate pyelonephritic infections. In: Annual Meeting of the Society-of-Academic-and-Research-Surgery. 2014, Univ Cambridge, Robinson Coll, Cambridge, ENGLAND: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Kavanagh D, Raman S, Sheerin NS. Management of hemolytic uremic syndrome. F1000 Prime Reports 2014, 6, 1-11.
- Frith J, Ng WF, Day CP, Payne B, Sheerin N, Gorman G, Jones D, Newton JL. Orthostatic intolerance is common in chronic disease - A clinical cohort study. International Journal of Cardiology 2014, 174(3), 861-862.
- Davison R, Sheerin NS. Prognosis and management of chronic kidney disease (CKD) at the end of life. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2014, 90(1060), 98-105.
- Sheerin NS. Thrombotic microangiopathies. In: Harber M, ed. Practical Nephrology. London: Springer-Verlag London Ltd, 2014, pp.323-330.
- Logan IR, Sheerin NS. Anticoagulation and kidney injury: rare observation or common problem?. Journal of Nephrology 2013, 26(4), 603-605.
- Ali S, Sheerin NS. Biomarkers of acute injury: predicting the long-term outcome after transplantation. Kidney International 2013, 84(6), 1072-1074.
- Haynes R, Baigent C, Harden P, Landray M, Akyol M, Asderakis A, Baxter A, Bhandari S, Chowdhury P, Clancy M, Emberson J, Gibbs P, Hammad A, Herrington W, Jayne K, Jones G, Krishnan N, Lay M, Lewis D, Macdougall I, Nathan C, Neuberger J, Newstead C, Pararajasingam R, Puliatti C, Rigg K, Rowe P, Sharif A, Sheerin N, Sinha S, Watson C, Friend P, The 3C Study Collaborative Group. Campath, calcineurin inhibitor reduction and chronic allograft nephropathy (3C) study: background, rationale, and study protocol. Transplant Research 2013, 2(1), 7.
- Legendre C, Cohen D, Delmas Y, Feldkamp T, Fouque D, Furman R, Gaber O, Greenbaum L, Goodship T, Haller H, Herthelius M, Hourmant M, Licht C, Moulin B, Sheerin N, Trivelli A, Bedrosian CL, Loirat C. Efficacy of Eculizumab in atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS) patients with or without prior transplant. In: 50th ERA-EDTA Congress. 2013, Istanbul, Turkey: Oxford University Press.
- Wong EKS, Brady M, Sheerin NS. Severe intestinal oedema due to nephrotic syndrome. QJM 2013, 106(2), 191-192.
- Legendre CM, Licht C, Muus P, Greenbaum LA, Babu S, Bedrosian C, Bingham C, Cohen DJ, Delmas Y, Douglas K, Eitner F, Feldkamp T, Fouque D, Furman RR, Gaber O, Herthelius M, Hourmant M, Karpman D, Lebranchu Y, Mariat C, Menne J, Moulin B, Nürnberger J, Ogawa M, Remuzzi G, Richard T, Sberro-Soussan R, Severino B, Sheerin NS, Trivelli A, Zimmerhackl LB, Goodship T, Loirat C. Terminal Complement Inhibitor Eculizumab in Atypical Hemolytic–Uremic Syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 2013, 368(23), 2169-2181.
- Ermini L, Goodship THJ, Strain L, Weale ME, Sacks SH, Cordell HJ, Fremeaux-Bacchi V, Sheerin NS. Common genetic variants in complement genes other than CFH, CD46 and the CFHRs are not associated with aHUS. Molecular Immunology 2012, 49(4), 640-648.
- Ermini L, Wilson IJ, Goodship THJ, Sheerin NS. Complement polymorphisms: Geographical distribution and relevance to disease. Immunobiology 2012, 217(2), 265-271.
- Brown JH, Tellez J, Wilson V, Mackie IJ, Scully M, Tredger MM, Moore I, McDougall NI, Strain L, Marchbank KJ, Sheerin NS, O'Grady J, Harris CL, Goodship THJ. Postpartum aHUS Secondary to a Genetic Abnormality in Factor H Acquired Through Liver Transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation 2012, 12(6), 1632-1636.
- Wilson CH, Brown AL, White SA, Goodship THJ, Sheerin NS, Manas DM. Successful Treatment of De Novo Posttransplant Thrombotic Microangiopathy With Eculizumab. Transplantation 2011, 92(8), E42-E43.
- Murtagh FEM, Sheerin NS, Addington-Hall J, Higginson IJ. Trajectories of Illness in Stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease: A Longitudinal Study of Patient Symptoms and Concerns in the Last Year of Life. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2011, 6(7), 1580-1590.
- Tang Z, Lu B, Hatch E, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. C3a mediates epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in proteinuric nephropathy. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2009, 20(3), 593-603.
- Ingham V, Jayawardene S, O'Donnell P, Sheerin N. Diabetic glomerular disease: Pitfalls in diagnosis. NDT Plus 2009, 2(2), 187-188.
- Newton J, Brown A, Sheerin NS. Fatigue in early renal disease. British Journal of Renal Disease 2009, 14(2).
- Murtagh FE, Murphy E, Sheerin NS. Illness trajectories: an important concept in the management of kidney failure. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 2009, 23(12), 3746-3748.
- Li K, Zhou WD, Hong YZ, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Synergy between type 1 fimbriae expression and C3 opsonisation increases internalisation of E-coli by human tubular epithelial cells. BMC Microbiology 2009, 9(1), 64.
- Murphy EL, Murtagh FEM, Carey I, Sheerin NS. Understanding Symptoms in Patients with Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease Managed without Dialysis: Use of a Short Patient-Completed Assessment Tool. Nephron Clinical Practice 2009, 111(1), C74-C80.
- Murtagh FEM, Marsh JE, Donohoe P, Ekbal NJ, Harris FE, Sheerin NS. Dialysis or not? A comparative survival study of patients over 75 years of age with chronic kidney disease stage - Reply. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 2008, 23(5), 1769-1769.
- Ting SM, Lee D, Maclean D, Sheerin NS. Paranoid Psychosis and Myoclonus: Flecainide Toxicity in Renal Failure. Cardiology 2008, 111(2), 83-86.
- Tapmeier TT, Brown KL, Tang Z, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS, Wong W. Reimplantation of the ureter after unilateral ureteral obstruction provides a model that allows functional evaluation. Kidney International 2008, 73(7), 885-889.
- Sheerin NS. Should Complement Activation Be a Target for Therapy in Renal Transplantation?. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2008, 19(12), 2250-2251.
- Sheerin NS, Risley P, Abe K, Tang Z, Wong W, Lin T, Sacks SH. Synthesis of complement protein C3 in the kidney is an important mediator of local tissue injury. FASEB Journal 2008, 22(4), 1065-1072.
- Li K, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. The classical complement pathway plays a critical role in the opsonisation of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Molecular Immunology 2008, 45(4), 954-962.
- Murtagh FE, Marsh JE, Donohoe P, Ekbal NJ, Sheerin NS, Harris FE. Dialysis or not? A comparative survival study of patients over 75 years with chronic kidney disease stage 5. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2007, 22(7), 1955-1962.
- Brown KM, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Mechanisms of disease: the complement system in renal injury - new ways of looking at an old foe. Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology 2007, 3(5), 277-286.
- Sheerin NS, Abe K, Risley P, Sacks SH. Accumulation of Immune Complexes in Glomerular Disease Is Independent of Locally Synthesized C3. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2006, 17(3), 686-696.
- Li K, Feito MJ, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. CD46 (Membrane Cofactor Protein) Acts as a Human Epithelial Cell Receptor for Internalization of Opsonized Uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Journal of Immunology 2006, 177(4), 2543-2551.
- Lin T, Zhou W, Farrar CA, Hargreaves RE, Sheerin NS, Sacks SH. Deficiency of C4 from donor or recipient mouse fails to prevent renal allograft rejection. American Journal of Pathology 2006, 168(4), 1241-1248.
- Brown KM, Kondeatis E, Vaughan RW, Kon SP, Farmer CK, Taylor JD, He X, Johnston A, Horsfield C, Janssen BJ, Gros P, Zhou W, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Influence of Donor C3 Allotype on Late Renal-Transplantation Outcome. The New England Journal of Medicine 2006, 354(19), 2014-2023.
- Chowdhury P, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Toll-like receptors TLR2 and TLR4 initiate the innate immune response of the renal tubular epithelium to bacterial products. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2006, 145(2), 346-56.
- Keenan N, Jeyaratnam D, Sheerin NS. Mycobacterium simiae: a previously undescribed pathogen in peritoneal dialysis peritonitis. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2005, 45(5), e75-78.
- Kucheria R, Dasgupta P, Sacks SH, Khan MS, Sheerin NS. Urinary tract infections: new insights into a common problem. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2005, 81(952), 83-86.
- Kouki P, Marsh JE, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Autoimmune renal injury in C3- and C4-deficient mice: a histological and functional study. Nephron Experimental Nephrology 2004, 96(1), e14-22.
- Chowdhury P, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. Minireview: functions of the renal tract epithelium in coordinating the innate immune response to infection. Kidney international 2004, 66(4), 1334-1344.
- Abe K, Li K, Sacks SH, Sheerin NS. The membrane attack complex, C5b-9, up regulates collagen gene expression in renal tubular epithelial cells. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2004, 136(1), 60-66.
- Kucheria R, Sheerin NS, Dasgupta P, Khan MS. Urinary tract infections: advances and new therapies. BJU International 2004, 93(6), 690-691.
- Sheerin NS, Bhatacharia KF, Webb MC. Positron emission tomography in a patient with renal malacoplakia. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2003, 42(3), E36-39.
- Sheerin NS, Sacks SH. Leaked protein and interstitial damage in the kidney: is complement the missing link?. Clinical Experimental Immunology 2002, 130(1), 1-3.
- Springall T, Sheerin NS, Abe K, Holers VM, Wan H, Sacks SH. Epithelial secretion of C3 promotes colonization of the upper urinary tract by Escherichia coli. Nature Medicine 2001, 7(7), 801-806.
- Masterson R, Sheerin N, Abbs I, Goldsmith D. Late allograft loss due to recurrence of p-ANCA-associated systemic vasculitis in a patient with relapsing polychondritis. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 2001, 16(8), 1705-1707.
- Sheerin NS, Springall T, Abe K, Sacks SH. Protection and injury: the differing roles of complement in the development of glomerular injury. European Journal of Immunology 2001, 31(4), 1255-1260.
- Jayawardene SA, Sheerin N, Pattison JM, Hartley B, Goldsmith DJ. Spontaneous Abdominal Hemorrhage with AA-amyloidosis and Vasculitis in a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology 2001, 7(2), 86-90.
- Tahir H, Thomas G, Sheerin N, Bettington H, Pattison JM, Goldsmith DJ. Successful medical treatment of acute bilateral emphysematous pyelonephritis. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2000, 36(6), 1267-1270.
- Sheerin NS, Springall T, Carroll M, Sacks SH. Altered distribution of intraglomerular immune complexes in C3-deficient mice. Immunology 1999, 97(3), 393-9.
- Tang S, Sheerin NS, Zhou W, Brown Z, Sacks SH. Apical Proteins Stimulate Complement Synthesis by Cultured Human Proximal Tubular Epithelial Cells. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 1999, 10(1), 69-76.
- Sheerin NS, Sacks SH. Chronic Interstitial Damage in Proteinuria. Does Complement Mediate Tubulointerstitial Injury?. Kidney Blood Pressure Research 1999, 22(1-2), 47-52.
- Tang S, Zhou W, Sheerin NS, Vaughan RW, Sacks SH. Contribution of renal secreted complement C3 to the circulating pool in humans. Journal of Immunology 1999, 162(7), 4336-4341.
- N. S. Sheerin,P. Swift,J. Scoble. From malaria to transplantation: the evolution of treatment for the nephrotic syndrome in a single patient. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999, 14(3), 800-1.
- Sheerin NS, Sacks SH, Fogazzi GB. In vitro erythrophagocytosis by renal tubular cells and tubular toxicity by haemoglobin and iron. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999, 14(6), 1391-7.
- N. S. Sheerin,S. H. Sacks. The local production of complement in the pathogenesis of renal inflammation. Nephrologie 1999, 20(7), 377-82.
- D. Song,W. Zhou,S. H. Sheerin,S. H. Sacks. Compartmental localization of complement component transcripts in the normal human kidney. Nephron 1998, 78(1), 15-22.
- N. S. Sheerin,S. H. Sacks. Complement and complement inhibitors: their role in autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 1998, 7(3), 305-10.
- N. S. Sheerin,T. Springall,M. C. Carroll,B. Hartley,S. H. Sacks. Protection against anti-glomerular basement membrane (GBM)-mediated nephritis in C3- and C4-deficient mice. Clin Exp Immunol 1997, 110(3), 403-9.
- N. S. Sheerin,W. Zhou,S. Adler,S. H. Sacks. TNF-alpha regulation of C3 gene expression and protein biosynthesis in rat glomerular endothelial cells. Kidney Int 1997, 51(3), 703-10.
- S. H. Sacks,W. Zhou,N. S. Sheerin. Complement synthesis in the injured kidney: does it have a role in immune complex glomerulonephritis?. J Am Soc Nephrol 1996, 7(11), 2314-9.
- G. B. Fogazzi,N. S. Sheerin. IgA-associated renal diseases. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 1996, 5(2), 134-40.
- N. Sheerin,J. F. Bourke,J. Holder,J. North,D. A. Burns. Bullous pemphigoid following radiotherapy. Clin Exp Dermatol 1995, 20(1), 80-2.
- N. Sheerin,N. K. Harrison,M. N. Sheppard,D. M. Hansell,M. Yacoub,T. J. Clark. Obliterative bronchiolitis caused by multiple tumourlets and microcarcinoids successfully treated by single lung transplantation. Thorax 1995, 50(2), 207-9.
- P. A. Andrews,N. S. Sheerin,J. A. Hicks,D. G. Williams,S. H. Sacks. Unusual presentations of anti-glomerular basement membrane antibody mediated disease are associated with delayed diagnosis and poor outcome. Clin Nephrol 1995, 44(4), 262-5.
- N. S. Sheerin,P. N. Monk,M. Aslam,H. Thurston. Simultaneous exposure to lead, arsenic and mercury from Indian ethnic remedies. Br J Clin Pract 1994, 48(6), 332-3.