Dr Patrick Yu Wai Man
MRC Clinician Scientist / Clinical Senior Lecturer / Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 241 8854
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 241 8666
- Address: Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research
Institute of Genetic Medicine
International Centre for Life
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an academic ophthalmologist with a specialist research interest in mitochondrial eye disorders. My aim is to understand why the eye is selectively vulnerable in mitochondrial disease and how we can best manage patients with these problems. A major objective of my work is how we can translate the knowledge gained in the lab into more effective treatment strategies for this group of patients.
I contribute to the clinical service of patients with mitochondrial disease in Newcastle with other members of the Mitochondrial Research Group. In addition to my Newcastle activities, I run a specialist optic nerve genetics clinic at Moorfields Eye Hospital. I also work closely with my research colleagues based at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology as part of a strategic collaboration between the Newcastle and Moorfields NIHR Biomedical Research Centres.
Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research
Institute of Genetic Medicine, Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ
Tel: +44(0)191 241 8854
Fax: +44(0)191 241 8666
Newcastle Eye Centre, Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4LP
Contact: Miss Susan Younger (Susan.Younger@nuth.nhs.uk)
Tel: +44(0)191 282 5447
Fax: +44(0)191 282 5446
NIHR Biomedical Research Centre at
Moorfields Eye Hospital and UCL Institute of Ophthalmology
162 City Road, London, EC1V 2PD
Contact: Miss Samantha Lawrence (Samantha.Lawrence@ucl.ac.uk)
Tel: +44(0)207 566 2260
Fax: +44(0)207 608 6830
In 2014, I was appointed as Theme Leader for the Ophthalmology Research Group within the Faculty.
Other Research Links:
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Votruba M, Burte F, La Morgia C, Barboni P, Carelli V. A neurodegenerative perspective on mitochondrial optic neuropathies. ACTA NEUROPATHOLOGICA 2016, 132(6), 789-806.
- Burte F, Carelli V, Chinnery PF, Yu-Wai-Man P. Disturbed mitochondrial dynamics and neurodegenerative disorders. Nature Reviews Neurology 2015, 11(1), 11-24.
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Votruba M, Moore AT, Chinnery PF. Treatment strategies for inherited optic neuropathies: past, present and future. Eye 2014, 28(5), 521-537.
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Chinnery PF. Dysfunctional mitochondrial maintenance: what breaks the circle of life?. Brain 2012, 135(1), 9-11.
- Yu Wai Man P, Griffiths PG, Chinnery PF. Mitochondrial optic neuropathies - Disease mechanisms and therapeutic strategies. Progress in Retinal and Eye Research 2011, 30(2), 81-114.
- Klopstock T, Yu-Wai-Man P, Dimitriadis K, Rouleau J, Heck S, Bailie M, Atawan A, Chattopadhyay S, Schubert M, Garip A, Kernt M, Petraki D, Rummey C, Leinonen M, Metz G, Griffiths PG, Meier T, Chinnery PF. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of idebenone in Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. Brain 2011, 134(9), 2677-2686.
- Yu Wai Man P, Griffiths PG, Gorman GS, Lourenco CM, Wright AF, Auer-Grumbach M, Toscano A, Musumeci O, Valentino ML, Caporali L, Lamperti C, Tallaksen CM, Duffey P, Miller J, Whittaker RG, Baker MR, Jackson MJ, Clarke MP, Dhillon B, Czermin B, Stewart JD, Hudson G, Reynier P, Bonneau D, Marques W, Lenaers G, McFarland R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Votruba M, Zeviani M, Carelli V, Bindoff LA, Horvath R, Amati-Bonneau P, Chinnery PF. Multi-system neurological disease is common in patients with OPA1 mutations. Brain 2010, 133(3), 771-786.
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Sitarz KS, Samuels DC, Griffiths PG, Reeve AK, Bindoff LA, Horvath R, Chinnery PF. OPA1 mutations cause cytochrome c oxidase deficiency due to loss of wild-type mtDNA molecules. Human Molecular Genetics 2010, 19(15), 3043-3052.
- Yu Wai Man P, Griffiths PG, Brown D, Howell N, Turnbull DM, Chinnery PF. The epidemiology of Leber hereditary optic neuropathy in the North East of England. American Journal of Human Genetics 2003, 72(2), 333-339.
- Bannwarth S, Ait-El-Mkadem S, Chaussenot A, Genin EC, Lacas-Gervais S, Fragaki K, Berg-Alonso L, Kageyama Y, Serre V, Moore DG, Verschueren A, Rouzier C, Le Ber I, Auge G, Cochaud C, Lespinasse F, N'Guyen K, de Septenville A, Brice A, Yu-Wai-Man P, Sesaki H, Pouget J, Paquis-Flucklinger V. A mitochondrial origin for frontotemporal dementia and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis through CHCHD10 involvement. Brain 2014, 137(8), 2329-2345.