Dr Philip Manning
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8520
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/biomedicine/research/groups/diagnosticandtherapeutictechnologies.htm
- Address: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologies
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Level 1, William Leech Building
Research is centered on the design and development of sensor based solutions for biomedical applications and is comprised of two central strands:
A) Development of multi-analyte sensor array platforms for direct, simultaneous intra- and extra-cellular in-vitro monitoring of reactive oxygen species. This work involves the integration of optical and chronoamperometric technologies. The resulting integrated array format enables real-time and continues analysis of ROS initiated events that originate within discrete cellular population.
B) Development of integrated electrochemical and bio-microelectromechanical (bio-MEMS) sensors for application to point-of-care diagnosis of disease processes.
- Manning P, McNeil CJ. Electrochemical and optical sensing of reactive oxygen species: pathway to an integrated intracellular and extracellular measurement platform. Biochemical Society Transactions 2011, 39, 1288-1292.
- Boulton S, Anderson A, Swalwell H, Henderson JR, Manning P, Birch-Machin MA. Implications of using the fluorescent probes, dihydrorhodamine 123 and 2 ',7 '-dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate, for the detection of UVA-induced reactive oxygen species. Free Radical Research 2011, 45(2), 115-122.
- Henderson JR, Fulton DA, McNeil CJ, Manning P. The development and in vitro characterisation of an intracellular nanosensor responsive to reactive oxygen species. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2009, 24(12), 3608-3614.
- Henderson JR, Swalwell H, Boulton S, Manning P, McNeil CJ, Birch-Machin MA. Direct, real-time monitoring of superoxide generation in isolated mitochondria. Free Radical Research 2009, 43(9), 796-802.
- Anderson AM, Aitken G, Oyewole A, Swalwell H, Henderson J, Manning P, Birch-Machin MA. To determine the relative roles of the different mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes in the production of oxidative stress in human skin. British Journal of Dermatology 2009, 160(4), 924 P29.
- Birch-Machin M, Henderson J, Oyewole A, Anderson A, Boulton SJ, Manning P, Birket M, McNeil C, Swalwell H. The use of nanosensors and mitochondrial DNA to investigate oxidative stress and aging in human skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2009, 129, S36-S36.
- McNeil CJ, Manning P. Sensor-based measurements of the role and interactions of free radicals in cellular systems. Reviews in Molecular Biotechnology 2002, 82(4), 443-455.
- Cookson MR, Menzies FM, Manning P, Eggett CJ, Figlewicz DA, McNeil CJ, Shaw PJ. Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD1) mutations associated with familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) affect cellular free radical release in the presence of oxidative stress. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Other Motor Neuron Disorders 2002, 3(2), 75-85.
- Williams RE, Cookson MR, Fray AE, Manning PM, Menzies FM, Figlewicz DA, Shaw PJ. Cultured glial cells are resistant to the effects of motor neurone disease-associated SOD1 mutations. Neuroscience Letters 2001, 302(2-3), 146-150.
- Manning P, Cookson MR, McNeil CJ, Figlewicz D, Shaw PJ. Superoxide-induced nitric oxide release from cultured glial cells. Brain Research 2001, 911(2), 203-210.
- Manning P, Cookson MR, Eggett CJ, Hunter AJ, Reed SJ, Shaw PJ, McNeil CJ. Real-time bioelectrochemical investigation of brain injury and neurodegeneration. 2000.
- Manning P, Cookson MR, Eggett CJ, Tolias CM, Read SJ, Hunter AJ, Tsatmali M, Thody AJ, Hillhouse EW, Shaw PJ, Mcneil CJ. Real-time measurement of free radical production using specific electrochemical sensors: New insight into the consequences of O2/- and NO flux. Analusis 2000, 28(6), 493-505.
- Eggett CJ, Crosier S, Manning P, Cookson MR, Menzies FM, McNeil CJ, Shaw PJ. Development and characterisation of a glutamate-sensitive motor neurone cell line. Journal of Neurochemistry 2000, 74(5), 1895-1902.
- Tsatmali M, Graham A, Szatkowski D, Ancans J, Manning P, McNeil CJ, Graham AM, Thody AJ. α-Melanocyte-stimulating hormone modulates nitric oxide production in melanocytes. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2000, 114(3), 520-526.
- Tsatmali M, Manning P, McNeil CJ, Thody AJ. alpha-MSH inhibits lipopolysaccharide induced nitric oxide production in B16 mouse melanoma cells. Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1999, 885(1), 474-476.
- P. Manning, C.J. McNeil, J.M. Cooper, and E.W. Hillhouse. Direct, real-time sensing of free radical production by activated human glioblastoma cells. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 1998, 24, 1304-1309.
- K. Tammeveski, T.T. Tenno, A.A. Mashirin, E.W. Hillhouse, P. Manning, and C.J. McNeil. O2¯ electrode based on the covalent immobilisation of covalently immobilised cytochrome c: Modelling studies. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 1998, 25, 973-978.
- P. Valverde, P. Manning, C.J. McNeil, and A.J. Thody. Activation of tyrosinase reduces the cytotoxic effects of the O2¯ anion in B16 mouse melanoma cells. Pigment Cell Research 1996, 9, 77-84.
- H.K. Datta, H. Rathod, P. Manning, and C.J. McNeil. Parathyroid hormone induces O2¯ anion burst in the osteoclast: evidence for the direct instantaneous activation of the osteoclast by the hormone. Journal of Endocrinology 1996, 149, 269-275.
- P. Valverde, P. Manning, C. Todd, C.J. McNeil and AJ Thody. Tyrosinase may protect human melanocytes from the cytotoxic effects of the O2¯ anion. Experimental Dermatology 1996, 5, 247-253.
- H.K. Datta, P. Manning, H. Rathod, and C.J. McNeil. Effect of calcitonin, elevated calcium and extracellular matrices on superoxide anion production by rat osteoclasts. Experimental Physiology 1995, 80, 713-719.
- P. Manning, D. Athey and C.J. McNeil. Homogeneous amperometric immunoassay for digoxin. Analytical Letters 1994, 27, 2443-2453.
- Boulton SJ, Keane PC, Morris CM, McNeil CJ, Manning P. Real-time monitoring of superoxide generation and cytotoxicity in neuroblastoma mitochondria induced by 1-trichloromethyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-beta-carboline. Redox Report 2012, 17(3), 108-114.
- Read SJ, Manning P, McNeil CJ, Hunter AJ, Parsons AA. Effects of sumatriptan on nitric oxide and superoxide balance during glyceryl trinitrate infusion in the rat. Implications for antimigraine mechanisms. Brain Research 1999, 847(1), 1-8.
- Tsatmali M, Manning P, McNeil CJ, Thody AJ. α-MSH inhibits lipopolysaccharide induced nitric oxide production in B16 mouse melanoma cells. In: Cutaneous Neuroimmunomodulation: The Proopiomelanocortin System. 1999, Münster, Germany: New York Academy of Sciences.
- Tomas C, Brown A, Strassheim V, Elson J, Newton J, Manning P. Cellular bioenergetics is impaired in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS ONE 2017, 12(10), e0186802.
- Rutherford G, Manning P, Newton JL. Understanding Muscle Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Journal of Aging Research 2016, 2016, 2497348.
- Anderson A, Bowman A, Boulton SJ, Manning P, Birch-Machin MA. A role for human mitochondrial complex II in the production of reactive oxygen species in human skin. Redox Biology 2014, 2, 1016-1022.
- Bowman A, Anderson A, Manning P, Birch-Machin M. Applicability of dermoscopy for evaluation of patients' response to nonablative therapies for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma. In: British Society of Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting. 2014, Newcastle upon Tyne: Wiley-Blackwell.