- Unique human tissue resource (consisting of targeted uterine samples [upper segment, cervix, placental bed] from normal and abnormal pregnancies
- High quality 'in-situ' cellular technologies [immunohistochemistry, TISH and laser capture microscopy/PCR] with large scale gene expression profiling [subtraction hybridisation, SAGE (serial analysis of gene expression)].
- Novel in vivo approaches to trophoblast/myometrium/leukocyte interactions (incorporating trophoblast invasion assays and co-culture techniques)
- International recognition in terms of quality of publications, invited lectures, and international collaborations (Krainer [Cold Spring Harbor, USA], Myatt [Cincinatti, USA], Lye [Toronto, Canada]).
- Continued integration of myometrial and trophoblast components of group in terms of maximising clinical material and laboratory technologies
- Continued development of gene expression technologies with wider application in (a) different clinical problems and (b) different cell types (rather than 'whole' tissues)
- Establishment of national networks for myometrial research as forerunner to submitting applications for MRC Group Status
- Attract a high quality scientist with expertise in trophoblast signalling
Further information about this area of research can be found at the Institute of Cellular Medicine.
Dr Judith Bulmer
Clinical Senior Lecturer/Consultant
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5213
Professor Stephen Robson
Professor of Fetal Medicine
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 4132
Dr Roger Searle
Head of School & Director of Anatomy and Clinical Skills & Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6625
Professor Michael Taggart
Chair of Reproductive Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0191) 208 6988