BGM2056 : DNA Replication, recombination and Repair
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Simon Whitehall
- Lecturer: Dr Heath Murray
- Owning School: Biomedical Sciences
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
1. To provide a sound understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying the replication, repair and recombination of DNA and to demonstrate the unique importance of the accuracy of these processes.
2. To provide a framework for understanding the different types of DNA damage, the mechanisms by which they are repaired and the diseases that result from defects in these repair processes.
Outline Of Syllabus
This module provides an understanding of the following key DNA-dependent processes:
accurate replication of the genome and recombination;
mechanisms of genetic variation;
repair of DNA damage;
results of failure to correct DNA damage (e.g. mutation, genetic instability, cancer).
development of genetics diseases (e.g. developmental disorders, cancer predisposition and premature ageing)
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||12||1:00||12:00|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Practical||1||6:00||6:00||The practical runs over 2 days|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||1||1:00||1:00||Seminar - Discussion on practical results|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||81:00||81:00|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The lectures will be used to introduce the intended knowledge outcomes for the module. These will be reinforced by the material covered in the data analysis and practical sessions. The seminar will reinforce the lecture material and acts as a feedback session for the practical and data-handing exercise.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written Examination||75||2||A||80||EMI (30%): 25 minutes Essay x 1 (70%): 50 minutes.|
|Practical/lab report||2||M||20||Students will gain experience in the accurate recording and also with determination of UV survival curves|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The assessments will test understanding of the material delivered, as well as providing training in key laboratory and
- Reading List Website : rlo.ncl.ac.uk