CME2126 : Engineering Mathematics
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Sagheer Onaizi
- Owning School: Engineering
- Teaching Location: Singapore
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
To extend students' knowledge, understanding and use of analytical methods required in Chemical and Process Engineering.
To cover more advanced methods for solving differential equations, theory and applications of vector analysis and various infinite series.
To introduce essential statistics and statistical analysis of data sets.
Outline Of Syllabus
Differential Equations and Series:
- the Laplace transform and its application to solving ordinary differential equations
- power series – Taylor and Maclaurin series (in one variable)
- Fourier series
- partial differential equations with applications
- vector methods and their applications
Statistical Data Analysis:
- Introduction: Descriptive statistics;
- Probability; Continuous distributions, normal distribution;
- Statistical Inference; Sampling distributions and confidence intervals – One sample problems (mean, standard deviation, paired comparisons) and Two sample problems (comparison of means, ratio of variances);
- Regression analysis.
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||2:00||2:00||Exam|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||12:00||12:00||Exam revision|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||24||1:00||24:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||8:00||8:00||Assignment completion|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||12||1:00||12:00||Tutorials|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||42||1:00||42:00||Review lecture material, prepare for small group teaching|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Lectures are used to present the mathematical theory and techniques and demonstrate their use for solving a range of problems in the subject area.
Tutorials provide support and individual guidance to underpin students' self-study and problem solving skills and provide a forum for further discussion to aid understanding.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Report||1||M||10||2 Assignments 5% each|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The written examination provides an appropriate means to assess knowledge and understanding, and the ability to apply theory and techniques to problem solving.
The coursework assessment provides the opportunity for tackling extended problems, assess understanding of key ideas and principles and competence in applying these.
- Reading List Website : rlo.ncl.ac.uk