POR4210 : Level C (HE Advanced) Portuguese - Exchange Semester 2
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Conceicao Pereira
- Other Staff: Ms Loiana Leal Pavlichenko
- Owning School: Modern Languages
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
In consonance with the overall aims of the degrees offered in the SML, this module will:
1. focus on further developing the students written communicative and oral /aural competence in the foreign language gained in POR2010.
2. prepare student for the future study of the language.
3. facilitate student's ability to establish and maintain effective social and working relations with speakers of the foreign language in written and spoken media during their intercalary year.
Teaching in weekly 3 hour language classes will focus on communication and on the formal structures of the language. All four skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking are fully integrated in the language classes and will be assessed.
Outline Of Syllabus
Training in grammar, vocabulary and communicative competence through use of class textbooks and other materials. Further practice on summary and composition, listening and oral presentations. Focus on literary texts by contemporary Lusophone writers (short stories, short novels).
THIS COURSE WILL BE TAUGHT AND ASSESSED IN PORTUGUESE.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||36||1:00||36:00||Language classes|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||64:00||64:00||N/A|
Jointly Taught With
|POR4010||Level C (HE Advanced) Portuguese|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Teaching in the language classes will focus on communication and the formal structures of the language. All four skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking are fully integrated in the language classes and will be assessed.
Independent learning and learner autonomy are encouraged through the means of portfolio tasks, pair and group work and self-study at home and in the Language Resource Centre. Initiative is expected from students at this level, e.g. course participants will be asked to contribute their own materials to the classes.
THIS COURSE WILL BE TAUGHT AND ASSESSED IN PORTUGUESE
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Aural Examination||50||2||M||20||Listening test.|
|Portfolio||2||M||20||To be assigned by the teacher|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
- One 150 minute exam (reading, writing and grammar) set in Semester 2 (40%).
- One Oral Examination (20%)
- One Listening Test (20%)
Students are provided with continuous feedback and are encouraged to work on self assessment and peer assessment as well as tested during the course through the means of various formative assessment tasks in order to construe as well as raise self confidence, adequate skills and knowledge to successfully complete the proposed summative assessment.
Resits: As written examination above
- Reading List Website : rlo.ncl.ac.uk