EEE3206 : High Voltage Technology
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Charles Su
- Owning School: Engineering
- Teaching Location: Singapore
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
The aim of this module is to provide students with an understanding of high voltage engineering, phenomena and technology and to introduce basic high voltage generation and measurement techniques.
Outline Of Syllabus
• High voltage breakdown mechanisms: Withstand levels and S curves; coordination of insulation; high voltage breakdown mechanisms in solids, liquids, gases and in a vacuum.
• Partial Discharge: Insulation resistance, tan 'delta', partial discharge measurements; Non-destructive testing of apparatus.
• Switchgear: Switchgear types; principles of operation; arcs; interruptions switching phenomena; standards.
• HV testing: Production of HV test voltages; impulse generators; measurement of high voltages.
• System overvoltages: Power frequency and harmonic overvoltages, switching and lightning overvoltages; overvoltage protection devices.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||24||1:00||24:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||8:00||8:00||Technical report|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||2:00||2:00||Final examination.|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||12||1:00||12:00||Revision for final examination.|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||54||1:00||54:00||Reviewing lecture notes; general reading; solving problems.|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Lectures provide core material and guidance for further reading. Problem solving is introduced through lectures and practiced during private study.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Report||1||M||15||1000 word technical report following power station visit|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The technical report will assess students' understanding on practical power equipment and their operation/maintenance work.
The examination allows students to demonstrate their problem solving skills together with their knowledge and understanding of the subject outlined in the lectures.
- Reading List Website : rlo.ncl.ac.uk