Dr Julia Cooper
Lecturer in Soil Science
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 6883
- Address: School of Natural and Environmental Sciences
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
I am a soil scientist by training and I study nutrient cycling in agroecosystems with the goal of increasing efficiency of nutrient use and crop productivity. I am particularly interested in organic/ecological approaches to nitrogen management and have conducted field research on the use of organic amendments for N supply as well as impacts of diverse crop rotations on nutrient dynamics. Since nutrient supply from organic sources is so dependent on microbial processes, I have developed a keen interest in soil biodiversity and study it in our long-term field experiments using a range of techniques. I am not just satisfied with understanding the impact of soil management practices on soil biodiversity, I also want to know how soil biodiversity impacts on essential soil functions like nutrient cycling and C sequestration. My ultimate goal is to use this understanding to design innovative cropping systems that use nutrients efficiently, minimise impacts on the environment and ensure sustainable production of food.
BSc Agr 1986 University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Major: Soil Science, Minor: International Agriculture
MSc Biology 1994 Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
PhD Biology 2007 Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
To find out more about me, why not check out my blog: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/juliacooper/
And follow me on Twitter @JuliaSoilsister
My Google Scholar link is here
My main areas of research interest are soil C and N cycling in agroecosytems, with particular emphasis on: reductions in N losses via leaching and denitrification; greenhouse gas emissions; and C sequestration. I am also interested in soil biodiversity and the link between biodiversity and soil function. These research interests extend into the realm of agro-ecology and the design of farming systems that address challenges in food security, while maintaining the integrity of the local environment. I am particularly interested in "ecological intensification" as a strategy to meet the challenge of global food security.
I have worked for many years in the area of organic farming in both a research context and as part of the organic production sector in Canada. Since moving to the UK I have worked on various projects involving organic research institutions across Europe.
- SolACE (Solutions for improving Agroecosystem and Crop Efficiency for water and nutrient use) is a new H2020 project (http://www.solace-eu.net/). I am part of the Executive Committee for this project and lead WP5: Co-assessment of novel crop genotypes and management innovations in farmers' networks
- I was recently awarded a NERC CASE studentship in: Using spatially explicit soil mapping and modelling to understand and mitigate nitrate leaching in an agricultural catchment In this project we will work with Northumbrian Water and the Environment Agency to study nitrate leaching in an agricultural catchment to the north of Newcastle.
I also have Phd students working on a range of topics relating to soil health and ecology. I currently supervise:
- Nada Salloom Mohammed - "Effect of agronomic practices on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi root colonisation, inoculum density and species diversity in the soil in different cultivars of spelt wheat" (2014-2018)
- Claire Wood - "Working towards and understanding of the inhibitory effects of plant derived isothiocyanate compounds on the potato cyst nematodes (PCN)" (2013-2017)
- David Hodgson - "Characterisation of myrosinase producing microorganisms and their potential exploitation in biofumigation systems" (2016-2020)
- Salisa Suchitwarasan - "Potential for growth enhancement by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in potato" (2016-2020)
- Naila Sumreen Hina - "Using spatially explicit soil mapping and modelling to understand and mitigate nitrate leaching in an agricultural catchment" (2017-2021)
I plan to build my expertise and team strength in soil health and ecology focusing on studies in agricultural systems. I will be collaborating with fellow ecologists on ecological network analysis using the long-term field trials at Nafferton. I also plan to build up links with colleagues who work in tropical environments working at the micro, field and landscape scale to optimise agroecoystem function.
I am module leader on two, second year soils modules: ACE2063 - Managing soils in agricultural systems and ACE2062 Soils - Mapping and managing properties and processes are closely linked with the former targeting students in agriculture programmes and the latter directed at students in environmental sciences.
I lead the module on Soil and Land Resources - Assessment and Management (ACE8028) and contribute to ACE8101 Food Security: Sustainable Food Production systems. I also contribute to modules on organic farming at post-graduate level covering topics in standards and certification and cropping systems design, nutrient management, and modelling.
Every year I supervise a number of MSc level dissertation projects in the areas of soil biodiversity and sustainable agriculture.
- Cooper J, Reed EY, Hörtenhuber S, Lindenthal T, Løes A-K, Mäder P, Magid J, Oberson A, Kolbe H, Möller K. Phosphorus availability on many organically managed farms in Europe. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 2018, (ePub ahead of print).
- Li J, Wen Y, Li X, Li Y, Yang X, Lin Z, Song Z, Cooper JM, Zhao B. Soil labile organic carbon fractions and soil organic carbon stocks as affected by long-term organic and mineral fertilization regimes in the North China Plain. Soil and Tillage Research 2018, 175, 281–290.
- Wood C, Kenyon DM, Cooper JM. Allyl isothiocyanate shows promise as a naturally produced suppressant of the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallida, in biofumigation systems. Nematology 2017, 19(4), 389-402.
- Moller K, Oberson A, Bunemann EK, Cooper J, Friedel JK, Glaesner N, Hortenhuber S, Loes A-K, Mader P, Meyer G, Muller T, Symanczik S, Weissengruber L, Wollmann I, Magid J. Improved Phosphorus Recycling in Organic Farming: Navigating Between Constraints. Advances in Agronomy 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Loes A-K, Bunemann EK, Cooper J, Hortenhuber S, Magid J, Oberson A, Moller K. Nutrient supply to organic agriculture as governed by EU regulations and standards in six European countries. Organic Agriculture 2017, 7(4), 395-418.
- Peigné J, Casagrande M, Payet V, David C, Sans FX, Blanco-Moreno JM, Cooper J, Gascoyne K, Antichi D, Bàrberi P, Bigongiali F, Surböck A, Kranzler A, Beeckman A, Willekens K, Luik A, Matt D, Grosse M, Heß J, Clerc M, Dierauer H, Mader P. How organic farmers practice conservation agriculture in Europe. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 2016, 31(1), 72-85.
- Swain EY, Almadni M, Leifert C, Stockdale EA, Cooper JM. NDICEA Calibration and Validation on a Northern UK Soil. Organic Agriculture 2016, 6(4), 267-280.
- Casagrande M, Peigne J, Payet V, Mader P, Sans FX, Blanco-Moreno JM, Antichi D, Barberi P, Beeckman A, Bigongiali F, Cooper J, Dierauer H, Gascoyne K, Grosse M, Hess J, Kranzler A, Luik A, Peetsmann E, Surbock A, Willekens K, David C. Organic farmers’ motivations and challenges for adopting conservation agriculture in Europe. Organic Agriculture 2016, 6(4), 281-295.
- Cooper J, Baranski M, Stewart G, Nobel-de Lange M, Bàrberi P, Fließbach A, Peigné J, Berner A, Brock C, Casagrande M, Crowley O, David C, De Vliegher A, Döring TF, Dupont A, Entz M, Gorsse M, Haase T, Halde C, Hammerl V, Huiting H, Leithold G, Messmer M, Schloter M, Sukkel W, van der Heijgen MGA, Willekens K, Wittwer R, Mäder P. Shallow non-inversion tillage in organic farming maintains crop yields and increases soil C stocks: a meta-analysis. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 2016, 36(1), 22.
- Orr CH, Stewart CJ, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Cummings SP. Effect of crop management and sample year on abundance of soil bacterial communities in organic and conventional cropping systems. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2015, 119(1), 208-214.
- Li J, Cooper JM, Lin Z, Li Y, Yang X, Zhao B. Soil microbial community structure and function are significantly affected by long-term organic and mineral fertilization regimes in the North China Plain. Applied Soil Ecology 2015, 96, 75-87.
- van Bueren ETL, Thorup-Kristensen K, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Becker HC. Breeding for nitrogen efficiency: concepts, methods, and case studies. Euphytica 2014, 199(1-2), 1-2.
- Tétard-Jones C, Gatehouse AMR, Cooper J, Leifert C, Rushton S. Modelling pathways to Rubisco degradation: a structural equation network modelling approach. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(2), e87597.
- Swain EY, Rempelos L, Orr CH, Hall G, Chapman R, Almadni M, Stockdale EA, Kidd J, Leifert C, Cooper JM. Optimizing nitrogen use efficiency in wheat and potatoes: interactions between genotypes and agronomic practices. Euphytica 2014, 199(1-2), 119-136.
- Haghighi RS, Critchley N, Leifert C, Eyre M, Cooper J. Individual and interactive effects of crop type and management on weed and seed bank composition in an organic rotation. International Journal of Plant Production 2013, 7(2), 243-268.
- Quemada M, Baranski M, Nobel-de Lange MNJ, Vallejo A, Cooper JM. Meta-analysis of strategies to control nitrate leaching in irrigated agricultural systems and their effects on crop yield. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 2013, 174, 1-10.
- Rempelos L, Cooper J, Wilcockson S, Eyre M, Shotton P, Volakakis N, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR, Tétard-Jones C. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of potato to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 363-378.
- Tétard-Jones C, Shotton PN, Rempelos L, Cooper J, Eyre M, Orr CH, Leifert C, Gatehouse AMR. Quantitative proteomics to study the response of wheat to contrasting fertilisation regimes. Molecular Breeding 2013, 31(2), 379-393.
- Bilsborrow PE, Cooper J, Tetard-Jones C, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Eyre M, Schmidt C, Shotton PN, Volakakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ. The effect of organic and conventional management on the yield and quality of wheat grown in a long-term field trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 51, 71-80.
- Palmer MW, Cooper J, Tétard-Jones C, Średnicka-Tobera D, Barański M, Eyre M, Shotton PN, Volkakis N, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Leifert C, Wilcockson SJ, Bilsborrow PE. The influence of organic and conventional fertilisation and crop protection practices, preceding crop, harvest year and weather conditions on yield and quality of potato (Solanum tuberosum) in a long-term management trial. European Journal of Agronomy 2013, 49, 83-92.
- Giotis C, Theodoropoulou A, Cooper J, Hodgson R, Shotton PN, Shiel RS, Eyre M, Wilcockson S, Markellou E, Liopa-Tsakalidis A, Volakakis N, Leifert C. Effect of variety choice, resistant rootstocks and chitin soil amendments on soil-borne diseases in soil-based, protected tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2012, 134(3), 605-617.
- Orr CH, Leifert C, Cummings SP, Cooper JM. Impacts of Organic and Conventional Crop Management on Diversity and Activity of Free-Living Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria and Total Bacteria Are Subsidiary to Temporal Effects. PLoS One 2012, 7(12), e52891.
- Cooper JM, Burton D, Daniell TJ, Griffiths BS, Zebarth BJ. Carbon mineralization kinetics and soil biological characteristics as influenced by manure addition in soil incubated at a range of temperatures. European Journal of Soil Biology 2011, 47(6), 392-399.
- Orr CH, James A, Leifert C, Cooper JM, Cummings SP. Diversity and Activity of Free-Living Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria and Total Bacteria in Organic and Conventionally Managed Soils. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2011, 77(3), 911-919.
- Cooper J, Sanderson R, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Shotton P, Carmichael A, Haghighi RS, Tetard-Jones C, Volakakis N, Eyre M, Leifert C. Effect of Organic and Conventional Crop Rotation, Fertilization, and Crop Protection Practices on Metal Contents in Wheat (Triticum aestivum). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2011, 59(9), 4715-4724.
- Cooper JM, Butler G, Leifert C. Life cycle analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from organic and conventional food production systems, with and without bio-energy options. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences 2011, 58(3-4), 185-192.
- Dessureault-Rompré J, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Sharifi M, Cooper J, Grant CA, Drury CF. Relationships among mineralizable soil nitrogen, soil properties and climatic indices. Soil Science Society of America Journal 2010, 74(4), 1218-1227.
- Giotis C, Markelou E, Theodoropoulou A, Toufexi E, Hodson R, Shotton PN, Shiel RS, Cooper J, Leifert C. Effect of soil amendments and biological control agents (BCAs) on soil-borne root diseases caused by Pyrenochaeta lycopersici and Verticillium albo-atrum in organic greenhouse tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2009, 123(4), 387-400.
- Giotis C, Markelou E, Theodoropoulou A, Toufexi E, Hodson R, Shotton P, Shiel R, Cooper J, Leifert C. Effect of soil amendments and biological control agents (BCSs) on soil-borne root diseases caused by Pyrenochaeta lycopersici and Verticillium albo-atrum in organic greenhouse tomato production systems. European Journal of Plant Pathology 2009, 123(4), 387-400.
- Lueck L, Cooper J, Schmidt C, Eyre MD, Shotton PN, Bennett RN, Rosa E, Daood H, Hajslova H, Schulzova V, Christensen LP, Leifert C. Effects of organic and conventional crop management practices on the yield and nutritional quality of field crops. In: 3rd International Congress on Food and Nutrition. 2009, Antalya, Turkey.
- Lehesranta SJ, Koistinen KM, Massat N, Davies HV, Shepherd LVT, McNicol JW, Cakmak I, Cooper J, Luck L, Karenlampi SO, Leifert C. Effects of agricultural production systems and their components on protein profiles of potato tubers. Proteomics 2007, 7(4), 597-604.
- Sharifi M, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Grant CA, Porter GA, Cooper JM, Leclerc Y, Moreau G, Arsenault WJ. Evaluation of laboratory-based indices of nitrogen availability as predictors of field-based estimates of soil nitrogen supply in potato production. Plant and Soil 2007, 301(1-2), 203-214.
- Sharifi M, Zebarth BJ, Burton DL, Grant CA, Cooper JM. Evaluation of some indices of potentially mineralizable nitrogen in soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 2007, 71(4), 1233-1239.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM, Fredeen AH. A comparison of methods used to determine biomass on naturalized swards. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 2005, 191(2), 152-160.
- Warman PR, Cooper JM. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure and NPK fertilizer: Effects on dry matter yield and soil and tissue N, P and K. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 2000, 80(2), 337-344.
- Warman PR, Cooper JM. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure and NPK fertilizer: Effects on soil and tissue Ca, Mg, S, B, Cu, Fe, Mn and Zn. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 2000, 80, 345-352.
- Cooper JM, Warman PR. Fertilization of a mixed forage crop with fresh and composted chicken manure: Effects on soil and plant Cu and Zn. In: International Composting Symposium (ICS'99). 2000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: CBA Press.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM. The effect of Bradyrhizobium strains on monocropped and intercropped soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.) biomass and protein. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 1998, 181(1), 1-6.
- Martin RC, Astatkie T, Cooper JM. The effect of soybean variety on corn-soybean intercrop biomass and protein yields. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 1998, 78(2), 289-294.
- Cooper JM, Warman PR. Effects of three fertility amendments on soil dehydrogenase activity, organic C and pH. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 1994, 77, 281-283.