Dr Matthew Grainger
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website: https://evidencesynthesisnewcastle.wordpress.com
I have a background in ecology and conservation working for 15 years across three continents (Africa, Asia and Europe). For most of my career I have been focused on the conflict between species conservation and human development.
Currently I am focused on developing models to address the challenges of sustainable development, in particular I am focused on food waste in Europe (REFRESH).
My research focuses on complex socio-ecological systems and the development of methodologies to address the challenges of sustainable development. In particular my research aligns with Sustainable Development Goals 15 (“Life on Land”), 12 (“Responsible production”) and 2 (“Zero hunger”). I aim to develop decision models that account for uncertainty and allow me to put scientific evidence into a policy-relevant context.
I also have a strong interest in the conservation of Galliformes (pheasants, grouse, quail, etc.) and continue to work in close collaboration with colleagues in Southeast Asia on several projects. I am editor of G@llinformed the newsletter of the IUCN SSC Galliformes Specialist Group.
Outside of research I enjoy walking with my border collie, rowing and bird watching (not necessarily at the same time)!
TeachingI teach on BIO3010 Thailand Field Course. We teach students a variety of wildlife monitoring and sampling techniques with a focus on conservation in Southeast Asia. The course takes place at the Sakerat Man and Biosphere Reserve in eastern Thailand.
- Grainger MJ, Garson PJ, Browne SJ, McGowan PJK, Savini T. Conservation status of Phasianidae in Southeast Asia. Biological Conservation 2018, 220, 60–66.
- Kendall H, Kaptan G, Stewart G, Grainger M, Kuznesof S, Naughton P, Hubbard C, Raley M, Marvin HJP, Frewer LJ. Drivers of existing and emerging food safety risks: Expert opinion regarding multiple impacts. Food Control 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Grainger MJ, Aramyan L, Piras S, Quested TE, Righi S, Setti M, Vittuari M, Stewart GB. Model selection and averaging in the assessment of the drivers of household food waste to reduce the probability of false positives. PLOS one 2018, 13(2), e0192075.
- Grainger MJ, Aramyan L, Logatchevac K, Piras S, Righi S, Settib M, Vittuari M, Stewart GB. The use of systems models to identify food waste drivers. Global Food Security 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Grainger MJ, Ngoprasert D, McGowan PJK, Savini T. Informing decisions on an extremely data poor species facing imminent extinction. Oryx 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Stephenson F, Mill AC, Scott C, Stewart GB, Grainger MJ, Polunin NVC, Fitzsimmons C. Socio-economic, technological and environmental drivers of spatio-temporal changes in fishing pressure. Marine Policy 2017, 88, 189-203.
- Grainger MJ, Stewart GB. The jury is still out on social media as a tool for reducing food waste a response to Young et al. (2017). Resources, Conservation and Recycling 2017, 122, 407-410.
- Thunhikorn S, Grainger MJ, McGowan PJK, Savini T. A review of methods used to survey avian species and their potential for surveying ground-dwelling birds in Asia. Forktail 2016. In Press.
- Thunhikorn S, Grainger MJ, McGowan PJK, Savini T. Assessing the population status of Grey Peacock-pheasant (Polyplectron bicalcaratum) in Huai Kha Khaeng, a key conservation landscape in Southeast Asia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 2016, 64, 302-312.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ. Can Non-Native Species Explain Patterns of Convergence and Deviation in Regenerating Coastal Dune Forest?. Ecological Restoration 2015, 33(3), 246-255.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ. The role of canopy gaps in the regeneration of coastal dune forest. African Journal of Ecology 2013, 51(1), 11-20.
- McGowan PJK, Owens LL, Grainger MJ. Galliformes science and species extinctions: what we know and what we need to know. Animal Biodiversity and Conservation 2012, 35(2), 321-331.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ. Is Succession-based Management of Coastal Dune Forest Restoration Valid?. Ecological Restoration 2012, 30(3), 200-208.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ. The resilience of the medicinal plant community of rehabilitating coastal dune forests, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. African Journal of Ecology 2012, 50(1), 120-123.
- Guldemond RA, Grainger MJ, Trimble MJ. Where is the evidence for assessing evidence-based restoration? Comments on Ntshotsho et al. (2010). Restoration Ecology 2012, 20(1), 7-9.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ, Wassenaar TD. Landscape composition influences the restoration of subtropical coastal dune forest. Restoration Ecology 2011, 19(101), 111-120.
- Bonnington C, Steer M, Lamontagne-Godwin J, Owen N, Grainger MJ. Evidence for local declines in Tanzania’s puku antelope (Kobus vardoni Livingstone, 1857) population between 1999 and 2003. African Journal of Ecology 2010, 48(4), 1139–1142.
- Bonnington C, Grainger MJ, Dangerfield S, Fanning E. The influence of electric fences on large mammal movements in the Kilombero Valley, Tanzania. African Journal of Ecology 2010, 48(1), 280–284.
- Grainger MJ, van Aarde RJ, Whyte I. Landscape heterogeneity and the use of space by elephants in the Kruger National Park, South Africa. African Journal of Ecology 2005, 43(4), 369-375.