Undergraduate Biology and Zoology
Our biology courses get you exploring in the field and experimenting in the lab.
Beyond the core modules, you can specialise in fields such as:
- cellular biology
- ecology and conservation
Our teaching is highly regarded. We achieve 90%+ consistently in the National Student Survey.
Our staff are regularly nominated in the Teaching Excellence Award scheme. This reflects how well regarded they are by our students.
Prof Angharad Gatehouse's research group was one of the first to produce insect-resistant transgenic crops. This is vital work in protecting crops in poverty-stricken countries from pests.
Our degrees ensure you gain the highest standard of practical experience. Lab and field work are given a high priority.
Quality and ranking
Biology at Newcastle University ranks:
- 92nd – Life Sciences category – Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- Top 150 – Biological Sciences category – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017
What our students say
The teaching on my course has been excellent, and I like that the staff deliver a range of teaching formats, such as lectures, tutorials, seminars and lab sessions. The staff are really supportive and helpful, and passionate about their subject.
The lecturers are really nice. Science can sometimes seem boring and complex but with passionate staff, the course is really interesting!
Your future job prospectsYour future job prospects
96% of our students have found employment or are in further study 6 months after graduating.
Our graduates are highly sought after by leading companies in a wide variety of industries such as:
- sales and management in biological industries
- environmental management
- environmental education
- science communication
Graduates can go into research/development in biological industries, universities and the NHS.
97% of our students have found employment or are in further study 6 months after graduating.
You will have choice of a variety of career options. Recent graduates have progressed to:
- commercial or medical laboratory based positions, in areas such as:
- quality control
- conservation work and animal care
- advanced study, specialising in areas such as:
- biomedical science
- animal behaviour
- environmental consultancy
Excellent facilitiesExcellent facilities
Our facilities include excellent teaching and research labs. They cater for our specialisms, which include:
- protein analysis
- computing/data analysis
- chemical analysis and HPLC
Final year projectsFinal year projects
All final year students undertake an independent project. This is often a highlight of the degree programme.
Depending on the type of project selected, students will:
- conduct an original investigation involving field or laboratory experiments
- contribute to the enhancement of the public understanding of science
- research published material to produce critical analysis of a biological topic
Examples of projects include:
- use of 3D printing to aid in the understanding of protein structure
- role of the media in understanding invasive species
- diet of red squirrels and seals
- how tomato plants defend themselves from whitefly
- locust swarming
- use of metabolic hormones to treat human obesity and cultural keystone species
Choose a Biology or Zoology degree
Our three-year Biology BSc Honours degree is the widest-ranging of our BSc degrees. You will explore all forms of life, from cells and molecules to whole organisms and ecosystems.
This degree examines plants, animals and micro-organisms. You will look at how they all contribute to the function of organisms as a whole.
This degree investigates plants, animals and micro-organisms. There's a strong focus on whole organisms and their roles in the environment.
This BPS-accredited degree allows you to combine the study of animal, plant and human biology with the study of human and animal behaviour.
Zoology is the scientific study of all forms of animal life. It includes how they behave, reproduce, evolve and interact with other species and their environment.
This degree provides an in-depth study of how domestic animals behave and function, and could lead to a vocational career in the animal sector.
Applied Plant Science
You'll develop skills applicable to the development of crop technology, novel plant protection strategies and breeding new varieties of crop.
Integrated Masters courses
All our degrees are offered as Integrated Masters courses (MBiol), which combines undergraduate with postgraduate study.