Full Scale Test Facilities
The facilities at Barrow Hill include:
- 14 acre site just outside Chesterfield, UK
- Connected to mainline railway network
- Undercover vehicle accommodation, including maintenance pits and ancillary services
- Over 1 mile of running track
- A wide range of vehicles and carriages
- Engineering workshops
- High performance computer modelling facilities
- Dedicated NewRail office including meeting facilities
For more information on NewRail's facilities at Barrow Hill, please contact Prof. Mark Robinson. Slide show of projects carried out at Barrow Hill.
NewRail's Wheel-Rail Interface Group is active in wheel-rail testing at Barrow Hill for projects and consultancy services.
- Crack initiation and growth in rails
- Wear in rails
- Adhesion at the wheel-rail interface