Our Barrow Hill test facility is on a 14 acre site just outside Chesterfield, UK.
It's connected to mainline railway network, with undercover vehicle accommodation - including maintenance pits and ancillary services.
There is over a mile of running track with:
- a wide range of vehicles and carriages
- engineering workshops
- high performance computer modelling facilities
- dedicated NewRail office including meeting facilities
For more information on NewRail's facilities at Barrow Hill, please contact Prof. Mark Robinson.
You can download our Introductory Presentation (PDF:1.976KB) of projects carried out at Barrow Hill.
NewRail's Wheel-Rail Interface Group is active in wheel-rail testing at Barrow Hill for projects and consultancy services, including:
- crack initiation and growth in rails
- wear in rails
- adhesion at the wheel-rail interface