Laboratory Testing Facilities
NewRail's laboratories are based at Newcastle University. These facilities allow NewRail to provide high quality testing and consultancy services in the following areas:
- Full range of mechanical testing and materials characterisation equipment including a falling weight impact rig
- Equipment for resin infusion, vacuum bag moulding, press moulding, putrusion (thermoset and thermoplastic), powder impregnation and filament winding
- Welding and joining techniques
- Failure analysis: metals and composites
- Modelling: finite element software, plant design, fire modelling of composites
Small Scale Fire Reaction Testing
NewRail has particular expertise in the measuring the fire properties of materials. Test equipment includes:
- Jet heat flux up to 200 kW/sq.m.
- Cone calorimeter.
- Fire testing under load.