Dr. Marin Marinov is the Rail Education Group Manager, responsible for NewRail's teaching and learning profile.
His educational background includes Technology, Organisation and Management of Train Movement. His Ph.D thesis was on Analysis and Evaluation of Formation Yard Performances.
He has worked as a teaching assistant and researcher in the Transportation Systems branch of the MIT/Portugal programme, where he lectured on Transportation Planning and Performance Assessment, Freight Transport and Logistics Processes as well as Railway Engineering.
- PhD in Transportation;
- MSc in Technology, Organisation and Management of Rail Transport;
- International Economist.
- Teaching Assistant at Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon;
- Collaborator with TIS.pt;
- Researcher at Higher School of Transport, Sofia.
- The Research Cooperative;
- Rail Research UK Association (RRUKA);
- Tyne and Wear Freight Partnership;
- International Association of Railway Operations Research (IAROR);
- Rail Alliance: networking organisation in the rail sector;
- RailFuture: the UK's leading independent organisation campaigning for better rail services for both passengers and freight;
- Rede de Pesquisa em Transportes (RPT);
- ITS-Conference, "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest (PUB) – special guest, member of the scientific committee;
- Eurasian Economic Club of Scientists (EECSA);
- International Conference of Logistics, Economics and Environmental Engineering (ICLEEE);
- Transport Problems, International Scientific Journal (TP);
- Action 11 - Sustainability, Newcastle University;
- Centro de Sistemas Urbanos e Regionais (CESUR).
- Guest Editors of RETREC - Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier. RETREC has been accepted
by Thomson Reuters and will be indexed from June 2016 onwards! RETREC has been in
EconLit, RePEc, Scopus, TRID, the TRIS and ITRD Databases for quite a few years
now. RETREC is very respectable, and is ranked higher than several journals
that have Impact Factors (IFs) and are indexed in Thomson Reuters. Under
Journal Indicators (http://www.journalindicators.com/), for example, the Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) for RETREC
is 1.41, which ranks it #22 of the 51 transportation journals listed. Its Raw
Impact per Publication (RIP), also known as IPP, Impact Per Publication - in
effect, an IF but with a 3-year window instead of 2 years, is 1.18, which ranks
it #24 of the 51 journals listed. Finally, RETREC's SJR, from SCImago Journal
Rank (http://www.scimagojr.com/), is 1.13, which ranks it #16 of 119 transportation journals listed.
- Joined the Editorial Board of the peer reviewed journal "Urban Rail Transit (URRT)" as associate editor. The journalcovers all aspects of theoretical and technical achievements in urban rail transit, publishes articles that focus on urban rail transportation operation and management, design and planning, civil engineering, equipment and systems, economics, interdisciplinary research of various traffic systems, environmental impacts such as vibration, noise and pollution, rail marketing and public engagements, rail education and training etc. URL: https://www.editorialmanager.com/urrt; In-Springer: http://www.springer.com/journal/40864; Press: http:// www.urt.cn .
- Joined the Editorial Board of the scientific-analytical peer reviewed journal “Upravlenets”, which was founded in 2009 at Urals State University of Economics as a leading scientific periodical to reflect on developments in economic management and related fields.
- Joined the Scientific Committee of the International Sudents Conference ITS 2012, organised by the Telematics and Electronics for Transport Department of "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest, Romania.
- Invited as a special guest to give a speech on rail freight problems in “International student conference ITS” 2011, December, 8 -9, "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest, Rumania;
- Invited to the Editorial Board of IT4L' 12 - Workshop on information Technologies for Logistics, September 9-12, 2012, Wrocław, Poland;
- Named in TOP100 Young Bulgarian Scientists - "Veritas - N.Y." Veliko Tarnovo' 2012.
Working with Visiting Fellows
- Dr Alicia Garcia Hernandez, Área de Ingeniería de Organización, Escuela Politécnica Superior, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- Prof. Ing. Antonín Kavička, Ph.D., Department of Software Technologies, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, University of Pardubice, Pardubice, The Czech Republic;
- Prof. Luiz Antonio Silveira Lopes of Military Institute of Engineering (IME), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
1) An Intensive Programme in Railway and Logistics, Research in Transportation Economics, Volume 41, Issue 1, Pages 1-88 (May 2013): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07398859/41
2) RailNewcastle Special Issue 2014: collection of articles, Transport Problems, Volume 9, Pages 1-129 (October 2014): http://transportproblems.polsl.pl/pl/Archiwum/2014/zeszytS/2014t9zS_00.pdf
- Rail Organisation and Management;
- Rail Yards and Terminals;
- Rail Systems Design;
- Rail Performances;
- Rail Economics;
- Rail Services;
- Safety and Security of Rail Systems;
- Rail Marketing;
- Rail Pricing;
- Rail Freight;
- Freight Logistics;
- Urban Freight;
- Rail Education and Training.
PhD opportunites in Organisation, Management and Economics of Train Movement are available within NewRail. Apart from the systems engineering aspect of the problem, the aim is also to look at innovative concepts for sustainable rail transport with a particular focus on services, production patters and system designs where the interface between the technical, strategic, tactical, operational and commercial aspects of the service needs to be captured. Applicants must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application form selecting PhD School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering (full time or part time). A PDF of applicant’s covering letter and CV should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, visit: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mech/research/dmm/dmmstudentprofiles.htm
Rail-related Research Papers highly ranked
Publication on "Analysis of Urban freight by Rail using Event-Based Simulation" by Motraghi A. and Marinov M. published by the Journal Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 2012, 25, 73 - 89, cited 10 times in Scopus, has been identified as being of especial interest to the Engineering Community managing Advances in Engineering Series. (Featured online on Advances in Engineering: http://advancesinengineering.com/?s=Marinov);
A rail freight research paper on Steady State Analysis of Rail Freight Yard Performances by Marin Marinov el. al. has arrived in the top 3 of the RELIT Ranking List. RELIT stands for Review of Transport Literature (Revista de Literatura dos Transportes) and is a Brazilian Open Journal (ISSN: 2177-1065) managed by SBPT, Brazilian Society of Transport Planing (Sociedade Brasileira de Planejamento dos Transportes - www.pesquisaemtransportes.net.br);
The following paper by Marinov M and Viegas J published in 2009 has been cited 12 times in Scopus: Marinov M., Viegas J., A simulation modelling methodology for evaluating flat-shunted yard operations (2009) Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 17 (6) , pp. 1106-1129.
The rail freight research paper on "A mesoscopic simulation modelling methodology for analyzing and evaluating freight train operations in a rail network", by Marinov, M., Viegas, J., Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, volume 19, issue 1, year 2011, pp. 516 - 539 has been cited 15 times in Scopus
The paper on An analysis of
the methods used to calculate the emissions of rolling stock in the UK by Esters T, Marinov M. recently published in Transportation Research Part D: Environment
and Transport 2014, 33, 1-16. has been viewed/downloaded over 250 times since publication.
- Transportation Science;
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering;
- Journal of Transportation Engineering;
- Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory (SIMPAT);
- Review of Transport Literature (RELIT);
- Transportation Research Part E (TRE);
- Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management (JRTPM)
- Journal and Intelligent Transportation Systems (J-ITS);
- Transactions and Magazine Intelligent Transportation Systems (IEEE);
- International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management (IJPDLM);
- Transport Problems (TP);
- Upravlenets”, Urals State University of Economics;
- International Journal
of Educational Administration and Policy Studies (IJEAPS);
- International Journal of Science and Technology
- Social Sciences;
- Associação Nacional de Pesquisa e Ensino em Transportes - ANPET.
- PhD project on new designs for Rail Freight Interchanges;
- BEng Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Efficient distribution of freight in Urban Areas/ Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- BEng Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Commuting in Urban Areas / Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- MSc Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Alternative Baggage Handling Systems / Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: An Analysis of delays and mitigation of delays, metro systems;(completed with merit).
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: An Analysis of emissions of rolling stock; (completed with merit).
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: A Study on most suitable manufacturer of rolling stock for the UK rail network;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Movement of freight trains in a line;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Design of a baggage handling system;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Design and evaluation of next generation interchanges, CR vs. HSR; (completed with merit).
- SwB (Science without Borders) Students' Research Projects (2013): Capacity of a Rail Line and Devlopment of a Metro System;
- RailNewcastle Reserach Project (2013): Methods and Models for Rail Capcity Reserach (completed with merit);
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2014): Light Rail and customer comfort;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2014): Analysis of customer services in rail passenger stations;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2013): ICT for Rail Freight;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2012): Analysis of Rail Yard Performances (completed with a good Honours level);
- BEng Student (2011 - 2012) - project: Research-based Teaching Material for Rail Education;
- BEng Student (2010 - 2011) - project: Urban Freight Movement by Rail (completed with merit).
Project Leader(s): Dr. Marin Marinov
RailNewcastle developed, organised and conducted a three week intensive summer school in railway logistics held at Newcastle University in 2012, 2013 and 2014
Project Leader(s): Tom Zunder
Designed to help rail freight rise to the challenge of availability and reliability, as well as complying with other market demands in particular the time sensitive delivery of lower density and higher value goods.
Project Leader(s): Dr. Francis Franklin
The purpose of the SUSTRAIL project is to contribute to the rail freight system to allow it to regain position and market.