- Project Dates: From February 2013 to September 2013
- Project Leader: Conor O'Neill
- Staff: Dr. Emmanuel Matsika
- Sponsors: RRUKA, RSSB, ATOC
- Partners: Railway and Transport Strategy Centre, Imperial College; London Underground; TATA Steel; Scotrail (First Group); Alstom
The CASPER project is a feasibility study that aims to conduct a cross-transport industry investigation of the commonalities in the processes of procurement, engineering design, manufacturing and maintenance and assess the potential economic benefits of applying similar methodologies to the rail industry.Cost drivers in the rail industry that could be ameliorated by greater commonality and standardisation will be identified and assessed. Best practices in the aerospace, automotive and maritime industries will be captured, adapted and applied to the rail industry to assess their potential for cost reduction.