- Project Dates: From April 2012 to September 2015
- Project Leader: Tom Zunder
- Staff: Dr. Paulus Aditjandra, Bruce Carnaby, Clare Woroniuk
- Sponsors: European Commission
- Partners: NEA; PTV; University of Westminster; Grupo Class; POLIS; IRU; Volvo Technology Corp; Newcastle City Council; Clipper Logistics Group; Office Depot; Centro Ricerche FIAT; Regione Lombardia; Berlin Senante Department for Development
Smartfusion is a public-private partnership (PPP), which will build upon the existing urban freight development strategies of three demonstration city-regions: Newcastle, UK, Berlin, Germany, and the Lombardy region, Italy. It will demonstrate smart urban freight solutions in urban-interurban supply chains.Leading ideas:• To introduce the concept of the European Green Car Initiative in last mile operations;• To introduce innovative technology developments in the fields of urban freight planning, vehicles and urban-interurban transshipment;• To develop comprehensive and transferable impact assessment models for smart urban freight solutions.
The work of Smartfusion is based on past and ongoing research activities and focuses on developing an integrated concept for urban-interurban logistics solutions focusing on last mile processes.
It will promote and implement the concept of green fleets in urban delivery, building on work of the EC Green Car Initiative.