Key areas of research include the following:
- Mass reduction
- Passenger needs
- Condition monitoring
- Interoperability of European railways
Current projects include:
CleanER-D aims to develop, improve and integrate emissions reduction technologies for diesel locomotives and rail vehicles.
SafeCap+ SafeCap for integrated optimum capacity, safety and energy strategies at multiple nodes
Viajeo PLUS The goal of Viajeo PLUS is to benchmark outstanding examples of solutions for innovative and green urban mobility in Europe, Latin America, China and Singapore and subsequently facilitate the uptake of these solutions. Dr. Gareth Evans of the Transport Operations Research Group of the School of Civil Engineering is also employed on this project.
Recent projects include:
- MODTRAIN Innovative Modular Vehicle Concepts for an Integrated European Railway System
- MODURBAN Modular urban guided systems
- SafeInteriors Train interior passive safety for Europe
- RAILTEST Inventory of Railway Test Installations in Europe and Detection of Synergies between them.
Downloadable leaflet on Rail Systems (PDF: 558KB)