Our vision is to facilitate collaborative and multidisciplinary research across the different research institutes within the Faculty of Medical Sciences, within the other faculties of Newcastle University, and across our NHS partners.
We bring together expertise in basic biology, cancer biology, epidemiology and health services research, and clinical cancer research and care.
We aim to increase the internal and external profile of cancer research in Newcastle.
Cancer Research at Newcastle University
Newcastle Cancer provides the opportunity to bring different research groups and their complementary expertise from all our institutions together and build stronger teams to advance cancer therapy.
We aim to bridge the different gaps that hinder rapid translation of new insights on fundamental cancer biology into its clinical application. Through Newcastle Cancer, researchers across Newcastle University and our NHS partners are developing strong links with the clinical and translational research programmes in the Northern Institute of Cancer Research (NICR).
- Professor Josef Vormoor, Director of the Northern Institute for Cancer Research (Lead of Newcastle Cancer)
- Professor Ruth Plummer, Newcastle Cancer Centre & Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre
- Dr Ian Pedley, Clinical Director of Cancer Services, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Neil Perkins, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University
- Professor Linda Sharp, Institute for Health and Society, Newcastle University