Dr Al Gabriel
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Wolfson Childhood Cancer Research Centre
Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Herschel Building, Level 6
Newcastle upon Tyne
2011 - PhD Genetics, University of Kent
2006 - BSc. (Hons) Genetics, University of London
2010-2011 - Research Assistant: University of Oxford
BACR, EACR, SIOP, SIOPEN,
Honours and Awards
2016 - £450 travel grant to attend NCRI 2016, Liverpool
2016 - £450 travel grant from Newcastle University to attend SIOP 2016, Dublin
2015 - €500 travel grant from the European Hematology Association
2011 - Times Higher Education nominee for 'project of the year'
2011 - Young scientist prize winner: 18th meeting of the International Chromosome and Genome Society
2010 - First prize winner: 5th Annual symposium of Centre for Biomedical Informatics
Roles and Responsibilities
Training and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students
Member of Athena Swan Self- Assessment Team (SAT)
Despite advances in neuroblastoma therapy relapse still occurs in 50% of high risk cases and in most high risk cases cure is no longer possible. Recent studies report an increased frequency of recurrent, genetic abnormalities at relapse including segmental chromosomal abnormalities (SCA) and gene mutations for which targeted treatments exist e.g. anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene (ALK) and RAS-MAPK pathway mutations or is planned e.g. MDM2/p53 inhibitors for neuroblastoma lacking TP53 mutations . Identification of new genetic abnormalities at relapse is important to predict response to existing targeted agents e.g. ALK inhibitors, but moreover to identify potential new treatment targets. By studying paired tumours at diagnosis and relapse we are attempting to determine whether these genetic abnormalities are present in a sub-clone at diagnosis, at what frequency, and if so whether we should be considering upfront treatment with targeted therapies
Action Medical Research
Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity
- Gabriel AS, Chen L, Evans L, Nakjang S, Bown N, Williamson D, Tweddle DA. COMBINED COPY NUMBER AND GENE EXPRESSION PROFILING IN HIGH RISK NEUROBLASTOMA: A CCLG PILOT. In: NCRI 2016. 2016, Liverpool. In Press.
- Wright JH, Humphreys A, Gabriel AS, Bown N, Chen L, Jamieson D, Tweddle DA. Imaging flow-cytometer based detection of ALK and MDM2 amplification in neuroblastoma cell lines. In: 48th Annual Congress of the International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP). 2016, Dublin, Ireland: Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Gabriel AS, Enshaei A, Taylor J, Erhorn A, Schwab C, Rai L, Fielding A, Goulden N, Vora A, Harrison CJ, Moorman AV. Age specific incidence of partner gene and secondary abnormalities in MLL positive acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). In: 20th Congress of the European Hematology Association. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Ferrata-Storti Foundation/European Hematology Association.
- Gabriel AS, Lafta FM, Schwalbe EC, Nakjang S, Cockell SJ, Iliasova A, Enshaei A, Schwab C, Rand V, Clifford SC, Kinsey SE, Mitchell CD, Vora A, Harrison CJ, Moorman AV, Strathdee G. Epigenetic landscape correlates with genetic subtype but does not predict outcome in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Epigenetics 2015, 10(8), 717-726.
- Al-Shehhi H, Konn ZJ, Schwab CJ, Erhorn A, Barber KE, Wright SL, Gabriel AS, Harrison CJ, Moorman AV. Abnormalities of the der(12)t(12;21) in ETV6-RUNX1 acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes, Chromosomes & Cancer 2013, 52(2), 202-213.
- Gabriel AS, Hassold TJ, Thornhill AR, Affara NA, Handyside AH, Griffin DK. An algorithm for determining the origin of trisomy and the positions of chiasmata from SNP genotype data. Chromosome Research 2011, 19(2), 155-163.
- Gabriel AS, Thornhill AR, Ottolini CS, Gordon A, Brown AP, Taylor J, Bennett K, Handyside A, Griffin DK. Array comparative genomic hybridisation on first polar bodies suggests that non-disjunction is not the predominant mechanism leading to aneuploidy in humans. Journal of Medical Genetics 2011, 48(7), 433-437.
- Thornhill A, Gordon A, Taylor J, Bennett K, Emmerson C, Grigorova M, Gabriel A, Atalla N, Menabawey M, Griffin D, Handyside A. Comparative genomic hybridisation (aCGH) to identify unbalanced products associated with specific chromosomal rearrangements. In: 10th International Congress on Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis. 2010, Montpellier: Elsevier.
- Handyside A, Grifo J, Gabriel A, Thornhill A, Griffin D, Ketterson K, Prates R, Tormasi S, Fischer J, Munné S. First clinical application of karyomapping for PGD of Gaucher disease combined with 24 chromosome screening. In: 10th International Congress on Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis. 2010, Montpellier: Elsevier.
- Thornhill AR, Gabriel AS, Gordon A, Griffin DK, Taylor J, Handyside AH. Array CGH for use in clinical preimplantation genetic screening. In: Annual meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. 2008, Atlanta, Georgia: Elsevier.
- Gabriel AS, Giddings L, Griffin D, Handyside A, Thornhill A. PCR in a single microlitre: A novel platform to analyse single cells for preimplantation genetic diagnosis. In: 24th meeting of the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology. 2008, Barcelona: Oxford journals.