Dr Emma Clark
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4456
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Lab 2.017
Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Building on a strong prostate cancer research background I have moved my research interest focus away from basic, early discovery research to build urological clinical research expertise. Where basic science has shown the potential to make a real difference I aim to work this to the next stage in order to move this to clinical practice as quickly as possible. I work with a portfolio of clinical trial studies where I have taken management of the translational lead and facilitate gaining funding for these types of studies.
PGCert 2015 Clinical Research, Newcastle University, UK
PhD 2006 Molecular Cancer Biology, Newcastle University, UK
BSc 1999 (Hons) Biochemistry, University of Sussex, UK
2006-2014 Research Associate - Urological Cancer, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, UK
2002- 2005 BBSRC (GSK Case) PhD Student - Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle Univeristy, UK
2001-2002 Research Assistant - Dept. of Fetal Medicine, Birmingham Womens Hospital, UK
1999-2001 Graduate Pharmaceutical Scientific Researcher - Roche, Welwyn Garden City, UK
1997-1998 Industrial Studentship Placement - Home Office Forensic Science Service, Birmingham, UK
Translational Clinical Trial work - assay development, clinical and biological validation and clinical utility
Biomarker Discovery - prognostic/diagnostic in terms of treatment/disease outcomes (personalised medicine)
Urology based research specialising in molecular biology of hormone escape in Prostate Cancer (Androgen Receptor transcriptional control)
Previous funding focused on p68 DEAD Box RNA Helicase (DdX5) cellular function and phosphatase regulation of the AR
NIHR RfPB feasibility study (The Prostate Cancer Androgen Receptor Splice Variant 7 Biomarker Trial (The VARIANT trial) - A multicentre feasibility study of biomarker-guided personalised treatment in advanced prostate cancer - £276,230.00) awarded to Dr. E. L. Clark and Mr. Rakesh Heer (June 2018 - Sept 2020).
PCUK PhD post (Characterising novel phosphatase enzymes important in regulating androgen receptor function in the progression of castrate resistant prostate cancer - £100.3K) awarded to Dr. E. L. Clark and Prof. C. N. Robson (Sept 2013-Sept 2016)
JGWP technical support post (Assessing the role of RNA helicase p68 (Ddx5) in the deregulation of microRNAs and progression of Prostate Cancer - £52K) awarded to Dr. E. L. Clark and Prof. C. N. Robson (May 2012-May 2013)
Prostate Action project grant (Assessing RNA helicase p68 (Ddx5) as a biomarker in the deregulation of microRNAs in Prostate Cancer - £99,987) awarded to Dr. E. L. Clark and Prof. C. N. Robson (Jan 2012-Oct 2013)
PCRF project grant (Pharmacological perturbation of p68 - an important androgen receptor transcriptional co-regulator in prostate cancer - £99,941) awarded to Dr. E. L. Clark and Prof. C. N. Robson (Jan 2008- Dec 2011)
1999 - 2001 Graduate Pharmaceutical Scientific Researcher, Roche, Welwyn Garden City, UK
Past and current students:
Nana-Jane Chipampe PhD (2017 -
Alex Lloyd MRes (2017 - 2018)
Emma Smith MRes (2016 - 2017)
Andrew Evans MRes (2015 - 2016)
James Grey PhD (2014 - 2016)
Victoria Shuttleworth UG (2011 - 2012)
Jake Clayton MRes (2010 - 2011)
Christiana Hadjimichael MRes (2007-2008)
- Clark EL, Hadjimichael C, Temperley R, Barnard A, Fuller-Pace FV, Robson CN. p68/DdX5 Supports β-Catenin & RNAP II during Androgen Receptor Mediated Transcription in Prostate Cancer. PLoS One 2013, 8(1), e54150.
- Rajan P, Dalgliesh C, Bourgeois CF, Heiner M, Emami K, Clark EL, Bindereif A, Stevenin J, Robson CN, Leung HY, Elliott DJ. Proteomic identification of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein L as a novel component of SLM/Sam68 Nuclear Bodies. BMC Cell Biology 2009, 10(1), 82.
- Clark EL, Coulson AC, Dalgliesh C, Rajan P, Nicol SM, Fleming S, Heer R, Gaughan L, Leung HY, Elliott DJ, Fuller-Pace FV, Robson CN. The RNA helicase p68 is a novel androgen receptor coactivator involved in splicing and is overexpressed in prostate cancer. Cancer Research 2008, 68(19), 7938-7946.
- Clark EL, Fuller-Pace FV, Elliott DJ, Robson CN. Coupling transcription to RNA processing via the p68 DEAD box RNA helicase androgen receptor co-activator in prostate cancer. Biochemical Society Transactions 2008, 36(3), 546-547.
- McComb CM, Clark EL, Padget K, Harvey J, Morris NJ, Austin CA. Bioinformatic analysis of topoisomerase II binding sites. In: 30th Annual Meeting of the United Kingdom Environmental Mutagen Society. 2007, University of Cardiff, UK: Mutagenesis: Oxford University Press.
- Clark EL. Topoisomerase IIa human genomic binding sites. Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2006.
- Kilby MD, Barber K, Hobbs E, Franklyn JA. Thyroid hormone action in the placenta. Placenta 2005, 26(2-3), 105-113.
- Chan S, Kachilele S, Hobbs E, Bulmer JN, Boelaert K, McCabe C, Driver P, Bradwell A, Kester M, Visser T, Franklyn J, Kilby M. Placental iodothyronine deiodinase expression in normal and growth-restricted human pregnancies. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2003, 88(9), 4488-4495.
- Grey J, Jones D, Wilson L, Nakjang S, Clayton J, Temperley R, Clark E, Gaughan L, Robson C. Differential regulation of the androgen receptor by protein phosphatase regulatory subunits. Oncotarget 2018, 9(3), 3922-3935.