Dr Helen Reeves
Senior Lecturer & Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist at Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4423
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an academic hepatologist, looking after patients with primary liver cancer. My long term goal is to improve outcomes for these patients, in part by developing tools to detect their cancers earlier, but also by identifying novel therapeutic candidates to take forward into clinical use, alongside the biomarkers needed to implement them.
Roles and Responsibilities
My clinical role is that of lead physician within the Hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, co-ordinating the care of patients with hepatocellular cancer in Northern England.
My research role and responsibility is that of a senior lecturer and lead PI in the Hepatopancreatobiliary group in the Northern Institute for cancer research. I work closely with Dr Ruchi Shukla, who has recently joined the group, as well as with Professor John Lunec and Professor Steven Wedge form the NICR, as well as with Dr Fiona Oakley and Dina Tiniakos from ICM. We presently supervise 4 PhD students, with two more joining the group in September.
I have just completed 3 years serving as the UK representative on the European Association for Study of the Liver (EASL) governing board.
BMedSci, BM, BS, FRCP, PhD
Nottingham City Hospital, JHO. Prof. AE Tattersfield 1990-91
Derby City Hospital, House Surgeon. Mr KG Callum. 1991
Newcastle Teaching Hospitals Medical SHO Rotation 1991-93
Clinical Research Associate University of Newcastle upon Tyne1993-97
Honorary Clinical Registrar, Freeman Hospital 1993-97
SpR in General Medicine and Gastroenterology 1997-00 Royal Victoria Infirmary (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) 1997-98 North Tees General Hospital (Stockton-on-Tees) 1998-99 South Cleveland Hospital (Middlesborough) 1999-00
Postdoc, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA 2000-03
SpR Freeman Hospital (FH) 2003-03
GlaxoSmithKline Senior Lecturer 2003
Royal College of Physicians
European Association for Study of the Liver
British Association for Study of the Liver
British Association for Cancer Research
European Association for Cancer Research
International Liver Cancer Association
Honours and Awards
British Liver Trust laboratory support grant 1994
Wellcome Trust Clinical Training Fellowship 1995 Dewar Research Prize, Northern Association of Physicians 1997
Peel Medical Research Trust Travel Award 2000
American Association for Study of Liver Diseases Fellowship 2001 GlaxoSmithKline Senior Fellowship 2002
European Brewers Association Research Award 2003 Special Trustees Award 2003
GlaxoSmithKline Senior Clinician Scientist award 2003-2008
- Molecular pathogenesis of gastrointestinal cancers
- The Role of the tumour suppressor gene Kruppel-like Factor 6 (KLF6) in the development and progression of chronic liver disease to cirrhosis and hepatocellular cancer (HCC)
- The role of KLF6 in hepatic glucose regulation and the development of non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- KLF6 as a predictive biomarker in colorectal cancer progression
- KLF6 in chemotherapy induced liver injury (KLF6)
- Type 2 diabetes, obesity and HCC
- Exploitation of the DNA damage response (DDR) as a targeted therapy for patients with HCC
- The role of Sulfatase-2 (SULF2) in NAFLD progression and HCC
- SULF-2 as a drug development target in HCC and pancreatic cancers
- Microarray analyses
- The application of serum proteomics to chronic liver disease and HCC
- Animal models of NAFLD and HCC
- Characterisation of KLF6 in premalignant and malignant gastrointestinal disease
- Characterisation of the KLF6IVS1-27G>A polymorphism in NAFLD and HCC
- Exploration of KLF6 in the regulation of glucokinase and hepatic glucose metabolism
- Exploration of KLF6 in chemotherapy induced liver injury (CALI)
- Identification and characterisation of serum biomarkers for the surveillance of HCC
- Inhibition of DNA Repair as a treatment strategy for HCC
- SULF2 as a therapeutic candidate for patients with HCC and pancreatic cancers
Development of biomarkers for HCC surveillance and guiding targeted therapy for those affected
Development of therapeutoc stratagies to prevent HCC development
Development of targeted therapies for patients with HCC
- Group leader
- Supervisor of MD and PhD students
- Supervisor of undegraduate students
- PI for HPB and gastroenterology reserach tissue bank
- One post doctoral researcher
- One clinical research associate
- Awarded grants
- Invited lectures and session chair at National and International meetings
- FP7 funded project 'FLIP' - Fatty Liver Inhibition of Progression. Subproject - The Role of KLF6 in the development and progression of HCC'.
- LiverNorth studentship - DNA-PK as a therapeutic strategy in HCC
- CR UK Bursary to Kei Hui - KLF6 in CALI
- Peel medical research trust - KLF6 as a predictive biomarker in colorectal cancer
Hoping to engage industrial partners in serum biomarker projectsnone
- Hepatocellular cancer
- Alternative splicing
- Informal clinical ward based teaching on a monthly basis
- Lecturer on CSIM3 course
- Undergraduate tutor
- Undergraduate students - 2 honours projects students and 2 Mres students
- Lecturer to Gastroenterology SpRs
- Lecturer to Oncology SpRs
- Lecturer to Transplant co-ordinators
- Informal ward based clinical teaching
- Non- clinical - PhD students; MD students
- Reuillon T, Alhasan SF, Beale GS, Bertoli A, Brennan A, Cano C, Reeves HL, Newell DR, Golding BT, Miller DC, Griffin RJ. Design and synthesis of biphenyl and biphenyl ether inhibitors of sulfatases. Chemical Science 2016, 7(4), 2821-2826.
- Reeves HL, Zaki MYW, Day CP. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and NAFLD. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2016, 61(5), 1234-1245.
- Dent BM, Ogle LF, O'Donnell RL, Hayes N, Mallick U, Curtin NJ, Boddy AV, Plummer ER, Edmondson RJ, Reeves HL, May FEB, Jamieson D. High-resolution imaging for the detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells from patients with oesophageal, hepatocellular, thyroid and ovarian cancers. International Journal of Cancer 2016, 138(1), 206-216.
- Ogle LF, Orr JG, Willoughby CE, Hutton C, McPherson S, Plummer R, Boddy AV, Curtin NC, Jamieson D, Reeves HL. Imagestream detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells - a liquid biopsy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma?. Journal of Hepatology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Johnson PJ, Berhane S, Kagebayashi C, Satomura S, Teng M, Reeves HL, O'Beirne J, Fox R, Skowronska A, Palmer D, Yeo W, Mo F, Lai P, Inarrairaegui M, Chan SL, Sangro B, Miksad R, Tada T, Kumada T, Toyoda H. Assessment of Liver Function in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A New Evidence-Based Approach - The ALBI Grade. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2015, 33(6), 550-558.
- Cornell L, Munck JM, Alsinet C, Villanueva A, Ogle L, Willoughby CE, Televantou D, Thomas HD, Jackson J, Burt AD, Newell D, Rose J, Manas DM, Shapiro GI, Curtin NJ, Reeves HL. DNA-PK-A Candidate Driver of Hepatocarcinogenesis and Tissue Biomarker That Predicts Response to Treatment and Survival. Clinical Cancer Research 2015, 21(4), 925-933.
- Whitehead A, Patman GL, Deuschle U, Day CP, Kremoser C, Tiniakos DG, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7 2007-2013 H. Effects of FXR agonist PX20606 on tumour formation in animal models of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In: The International Liver Congress 2015 - 50th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Reeves HL, Aisen AM. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Optimal Staging Impacts Survival. Gastroenterology 2015, 148(7), 1274-1276.
- Whitehead A, Ogle L, Patman GL, Anwar G, Tiniakos DG, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7 2007-2013 H. Ras and p-ERK in metabolic syndrome associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC). In: 50th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Miller DC, Carbain B, Beale GS, Alhasan SF, Reeves HL, Baisch U, Newell DR, Golding BT, Griffin RJ. Regioselective sulfamoylation at low temperature enables concise syntheses of putative small molecule inhibitors of sulfatases. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 2015, 13(18), 5279-5284.
- Piguet AC, Saran U, Simillion C, Keller I, Terracciano L, Reeves HL, Dufour JF. Regular exercise decreases liver tumors development in hepatocyte-specific PTEN-deficient mice independently of steatosis. Journal of Hepatology 2015, 62(6), 1296-1303.
- Gautheron J, Vucur M, Reisinger F, Cardenas DV, Roderburg C, Koppe C, Kreggenwinkel K, Schneider AT, Bartneck M, Neumann UP, Canbay A, Reeves HL, Luedde M, Tacke F, Trautwein C, Heikenwalder M, Luedde T. A positive feedback loop between RIP3 and JNK controls non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2014, 6(8), 1062-1074.
- Liu Y-L, Patman GL, Leathart J, Piguet A-C, Burt AD, Dufour J-F, Day CP, Daly AK, Reeves HL, Anstee QM. Carriage of the PNPLA3 rs738409 C>G Polymorphism Confers an Increased Risk of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Journal of Hepatology 2014, 61(1), 75-81.
- Johnson PJ, Pirrie SJ, Cox TF, Berhane S, Teng M, Palmer D, Morse J, Hull D, Patman G, Kagebayashi C, Hussain S, Graham J, Reeves H, Satomura S. The Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Using a Prospectively Developed and Validated Model Based on Serological Biomarkers. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 2014, 23(1), 144-153.
- Liu Y-L, Reeves HL, Burt AD, Tiniakos D, McPherson S, Leathart JBS, Allison MED, Alexander GJ, Piguet A-C, Anty R, Donaldson P, Aithal GP, Francque S, VanGaal L, Clement K, Ratziu V, Dufour J-F, Day CP, Daly AK, Anstee QM. TM6SF2 rs58542926 Influences Hepatic Fibrosis Progression in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Nature Communications 2014, 5, 1-6.
- Whitehead A, Patman GL, Cornell L, Televantou D, Curtin N, Day CP, Burt AD, Piguet AC, Dufour JF, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7-2007-2013. A Role for DNA Repair Protein Kinase (DNA-PK) in the Progression of Simple Steatosis to Steatohepatitis (NASH)?. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science BV.
- Dyson J, Jaques B, Chattopadyhay D, Lochan R, Graham J, Das D, Aslam T, Patanwala I, Gaggar S, Cole M, Sumpter K, Stewart S, Rose J, Hudson M, Manas D, Reeves HL. Hepatocellular cancer: The impact of obesity, type 2 diabetes and a multidisciplinary team. Journal of Hepatology 2013, 60(1), 110-117.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Day CP, Oakley F, Mann DA, Burt AD, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7-2007-2013. Mild Steatosis and Impaired Glucose Tolerance are Associated with Liver Cancer Development, While Progression to Nash Increases Number/Size in an Animal Model of NAFLD. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier BV.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Oakley F, Mann DA, Burt AD, Anstee QA, Reeves HL. NAFLD progression to NASH, fibrosis and hepatocellular cancer - development of a robust animal model. Journal of Hepatology 2013. In Preparation.
- Bechmann LP, Vetter D, Ishida J, Hannivoort RA, Lang UE, Kocabayoglu P, Fiel MI, Muñoz U, Patman GL, Ge F, Yakar S, Li X, Agius L, Lee YM, Zhang W, Hui KY, Televantou D, Schwartz GJ, Leroith D, Berk PD, Nagai R, Suzuki T, Reeves HL, Friedman SL. Post-transcriptional activation of PPAR alpha by KLF6 in hepatic steatosis. Journal of Hepatology 2013, 58(5), 1000-1006.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Piguet AC, Dufour JF, Day CP, Burt AD, Mann DA, Reeves HL. Sulfatase-2 (SULF2) Expressed in Hepatocytes and Stromal Cells Contributes to the Development of Steatosis, the Progression of NAFLD to Fibrosis and the Advancement of Cancer. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier.
- Petrie JL, Patman GL, Sinha I, Alexander TD, Reeves HL, Agius L. The rate of production of uric acid by hepatocytes is a sensitive index of compromised cell ATP homeostasis. American Journal of Physiology 2013, 305(10), E1255-E1265.
- Bechmann LP, Gastaldelli A, Vetter D, Patman GL, Pascoe L, Hannivoort RA, Lee UE, Fiel I, Muñoz U, Ciociaro D, Buzzigoli E, Miele L, Hui KY, Bugianesi E, Burt AD, Day CP, Mari A, Agius L, Walker M, Friedman SL, Reeves HL. Glucokinase links Krüppel-like factor 6 to the regulation of hepatic insulin sensitivity in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2012, 55(4), 1083-1093.
- Alhasan SF, Beale GS, Newell DR, Reeves HL. Suppression of SULF2, an extracellular endosulfatase up-regulated in hepatocellular cancers, modulates WNT signalling and inhibits cell growth. In: Digestive Disorders Federation Meeting. 2012, Liverpool, UK: BMJ Group.
- Patman GL, Anstee Q, Reeves HL. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in NASH: Is there a biological Rationale?. In: 9th Meeting of Therapy in Liver Diseases. 2011, Barcelona, Spain.
- Gray J, Chattopadhyay D, Beale GS, Patman GL, Miele L, King BP, Stewart S, Hudson M, Day CP, Manas DM, Reeves HL. A proteomic strategy to identify novel serum biomarkers for liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular cancer in individuals with fatty liver disease. BMC Cancer 2009, 9.
- Beale GS, Chattopadhyay D, Gray J, Stewart SF, Hudson M, Day CP, Trerotoli P, Giannelli G, Manas DM, Reeves HL. AFP, PIVKAII, GP3, SCCA-1 and follisatin as surveillance biomarkers for hepatocellular cancer in non-alcoholic and alcoholic fatty liver disease. BMC Cancer 2008, 8, 200.
- Llovet JM, Ricci S, Mazzaferro V, Hilgard P, Gane E, Blanc JF, de Oliveira AC, Santoro A, Raoul JL, Forner A, Schwartz M, Porta C, Zeuzem S, Bolondi L, Greten TF, Galle PR, Seitz JF, Borbath I, Häussinger D, Giannaris T, Shan M, Moscovici M, Voliotis D, Bruix J. Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular cancer. N Engl J Med 2008, 359, 378-90.
- Miele L, Beale G, Patman G, Nobili V, Leathart J, Grieco A, Abate M, Friedman S, Narla G, Bugianesi E, Day C, Reeves H. The Kruppel-like factor 6 genotype is associated with fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2008, 135(1), 282-291.