Dr Simon Bomken
Clinical Fellow & Honorary Consultant
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4300
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
2015 CCT Paediatrics (Paediatric Oncology)
2013 PhD, Newcastle University
2005 Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, UK
2002 MBBS (Hons), Newcastle University
1999 BMedSci (Hons), Newcastle University
Academic Paediatric Association GBI
British Association for Cancer Research
Children's Cancer & Leukaemia Group (CCLG)
Honours and Awards
2014 Lindau Nobel Laureate meeting alumnus, Royal Society nominee
2002 Mona McNaughton Prize - MBBS (Hons) final examination results 2002
1998 Wolfson Scholar - BMedSci (Hons)
Aggressive B cell lymphoma of childhood (focusing on Burkitt lymphoma and lymphoproliferative disorders in immunodeficient patients (primary immunodeficiency and post-transplant) - development of functional genomic screens and pre-clinical modelling
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia - characterisation of cancer propagating cells
Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis - Paediatric clinical service associated with Newcastle Human Dendritic Cell Laboratory (http://www.hudendritic.org/)
We are currently developing improved pre-clinical models for the validation of novel therapeutic targets for Burkitt lymphoma and testing of new precision medicines designed to improve rates of cure whilst reducing the extensive toxicity associated with current treatments for aggressive B cell lymphoma.
I continue to be closely involved with projects aimed at understanding the genomic drivers of malignant B cell self-renewal. This work takes both a candidate approach and an unbiased, genome-wide approach to identify important elements of the genetic programmes allowing malignant cells to self-renew and propagate a malignancy. As lymphoid cells have an inherent potential for clonal expansion, this work looks to identify elements of the clonal expansion programme of lymphoid cells which are harnessed in lymphoid malignancy. It is therefore thought to be applicable to both B precursor and mature B cell diseases.
Funding - Current Projects
The Good Will Cause
North of England Children's Cancer Research Fund
Funding - Training
My current Clinical Fellow position is generously funded by the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation
ACF/ACL posts funded by NIHR
MRC Centenary Early Career Award
MRC Clinical Research Training Fellowship
I am actively involved in supervising undergraduate, masters and PhD students within the Northern Institute for Cancer Research, as well as providing clinical teaching for medical students within the Great North Children's Hospital.
I have contributed a chapter on clinical research to the recently published MRCPCH Science of Paedaitrics Mastercourse book for candidates of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health membership exam. I am also currently revising chapters on childhood lymphoma and tumour lysis syndrome for the second edition of the Oxford University Handbook of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology.
- Mellgren K, Attarbaschi A, Abla O, Alexander S, Bomken S, Bubanska E, Chiang A, Csóka M, Fedorova A, Kabickova E, Kapuscinska-Kemblowska L, Kobayashi R, Krenova Z, Meyer-Wentrup F, Miakova N, Pillon M, Plat G, Uyttebroeck A, Williams D, Wróbel G, Kontny U. Non-anaplastic peripheral T cell lymphoma in children and adolescents-an international review of 143 cases. Annals of Hematology 2016, 95(8), 1295-1305.
- Attarbaschi A, Carraro E, Abla O, Barzilai-Birenboim S, Bomken S, Brugieres L, Bubanska E, Burkhardt B, Chiang AK, Csoka M, Fedorova A, Jazbec J, Kabickova E, Krenova Z, Lazic J, Loeffen J, Mann G, Niggli F, Miakova N, Osumi T, Ronceray L, Uyttebroeck A, Williams D, Woessmann W, Wrobel G, Pillon M. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and pre-existing conditions: spectrum, clinical characteristics and outcome in 213 children and adolescents. Haematologica 2016, 101(10).
- Williams MT, Yousafzai YM, Elder A, Rehe K, Bomken S, Frishman-Levy L, Tavor S, Sinclair P, Dormon K, Masic D, Perry T, Weston VJ, Kearns P, Blair H, Russell LJ, Heidenreich O, Irving JA, Izraeli S, Vormoor J, Graham GJ, Halsey C. The ability to cross the blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier is a generic property of acute lymphoblastic leukemia blasts. Blood 2016, 127(16), 1998-2006.
- Bomken S, Haigh S, Bown N, Carey P, Wood K, Windebank K. Cutaneous B-Lymphoblastic Lymphoma With IL3/IgH Translocation Presenting With Hypereosinophilia and Acute Endocarditis. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2015, 62(6), 1055-1057.
- Bomken S, Skinner R. Second Malignant Neoplasms Following Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Childhood. Children 2015, 2(2), 146-173.
- Scherr M, Elder A, Battmer K, Barzan D, Bomken S, Ricke-Hoch M, Schröder A, Venturini L, Blair HJ, Vormoor J, Ottmann O, Ganser A, Pich A, Hilfiker-Kleiner D, Heidenreich O, Eder M. Differential expression of miR-17~92 identifies BCL2 as a therapeutic target in BCR-ABL-positive B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leukemia 2014, 28, 554-565.
- Rehe K, Wilson K, Bomken S, Williamson D, Irving J, den Boer ML, Stanulla M, Schrappe M, Hall AG, Heidenreich O, Vormoor J. Acute B lymphoblastic leukaemia-propagating cells are present at high frequency in diverse lymphoblast populations. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2013, 5(1), 38-51.
- Bomken S, Buechler L, Rehe K, Ponthan F, Elder A, Blair H, Bacon CM, Vormoor J, Heidenreich O. Lentiviral marking of patient-derived acute lymphoblastic leukaemic cells allows in vivo tracking of disease progression. Leukemia 2013, 27(3), 718-721.
- Sunter NJ, Scott K, Hills R, Grimwade D, Taylor S, Worrillow LJ, Fordham SE, Forster VJ, Jackson G, Bomken S, Jones G, Allan JM. A functional variant in the core promoter of the CD95 cell death receptor gene predicts prognosis in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Blood 2012, 119(1), 196-205.
- Nicholson L, Knight T, Matheson E, Minto L, Case M, Sanichar M, Bomken S, Vormoor J, Hall A, Irving J. Casitas B lymphoma mutations in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes, Chromosomes & Cancer 2012, 51(3), 250-256.
- Bomken S, Fiser K, Heidenreich O, Vormoor J. Understanding the cancer stem cell. British Journal of Cancer 2010, 103(4), 439-445.
- le Viseur C, Hotfilder M, Bomken S, Wilson K, Röttgers S, Schrauder A, Rosemann A, Irving JAE, Stam R, Shultz L, Harbott J, Jürgens H, Schrappe M, Pieters R, Vormoor HJ. In Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Blasts at Different Stages of Immunophenotypic Maturation Have Stem Cell Properties. Cancer Cell 2008, 14(1), 47-58.