Following training in Otolaryngology in India and the United Kingdom, I completed fellowship training in Head and Neck Oncology in Adelaide and was appointed to this post in 2005. The bulk of my clinical work involves management of patients with benign and malignant diseases of the head and neck. I am one of the few surgeons in the United Kingdom with expertise in Transoral Robotic Surgery and Transoral Laser Microsurgery for head and neck cancers. As service improvement lead for the Northern Head and Neck Unit, I have a relentless focus on the quality of the care provided, backed up by hard data where appropriate.
My research interests are primarily on the processes of care, decision making and functional outcomes in head and neck oncology. I have published over 130 papers, reviews and book chapters on head and neck oncology. I am chief investigator for the NIHR funded TUBE trial (£ttp://controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN48569216) and principal investigator for several other head and neck cancer research trials in progress within Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals. Currently, I serve as Secretary for ENT.Head & Neck.UK and member of the following national committees: Head and Neck Cancer Clinical Studies Group, of National Cancer Research Institute, Interventional Procedures Panel for the National Institute for Health Research and Guidance Development Group for Head and Neck Cancer, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
I am section editor for head and neck cancers for the e-learning for ENT (eLefENT) programme, supported by the British Association of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (ENT UK). I have co-edited the fourth edition of the National Head and Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary Management Guidelines, endorsed by all the national speciality associations involved in the management of head and neck cancer. I also co-edit the section on "Head and Neck Disease" for the forthcoming 8th edition of Scott-Brown's Otolaryngology, the leading multi-volume multi-author textbook in the specialty in the world, planned for publication in July 2015.
My research interests are primarily on the processes of care, decision making and functional outcomes in head and neck oncology. I have published over 110 papers and reviews and 15 book chapters on head and neck oncology. I am Chief Investigator for the National Institute for Health Research funded study, "A feasibility randomised controlled trial of tube feeding
methods in patients undergoing chemoradiation for head and neck cancer (TUBE
trial)". I am also PI for three other trials within Newcastle Hospitals.
My clinical interests and practice is primarily devoted to benign and malignant diseases of the head and neck (thyroid gland, salivary glands, mouth, throat and voice box, voice and swallowing problems)
National meetings organised
1. Three annual Evidence Based Days on Head and Neck cancer (2009, 2011 and 2013), attended by over 200 participants, with the proceedings being subsequently published in the national journal for the specialty.
2. I organised the first Transoral Robotic Surgery conference in the UK, attended by 70 members (2014)
National and International recognition
I am regularly invited to speak at national and international meetings. The following are the speaking invitations that I accepted in the last 5 years:
2. I am an Associate Editor for Head and Neck, the top ranked journal in my field, on the editorial board for the Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology and Senior Reviews Editor for the Journal of Laryngology and Otology, one of the oldest journals in the field (est. 1887). I also peer review for 4 other leading journals in the specialty.
3. Member of Head and Neck Clinical Studies Group, National Cancer Research Institute (http://ncrndev.org.uk/) and member for the intervention procedures panel of the Health Technology and Assessment funding stream of the NIHR.
4. Secretary for ENTUK HN, the head and neck group of the British Association of Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgeons and member of council for the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
5. I represent the British Association of Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgeons as an expert for a Health Technology Appraisal, led by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
6. Member of International Head and Neck scientific group (www.ihnsg.com)
1. I have co-edited the 4th edition of the national "Head and Neck Cancer: Multidisciplinary Management Guidelines" (Sept 2011). With 38 chapters written by 127 authors, it is endorsed by the British Association of Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists and British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons. Also available in electronic format with enabled web links (https://entuk.org/professionals/publications), this will support the delivery of evidence based practice across the UK for the next 3-4 years.
2. I am editor for "Head and Neck Malignancy" section for the national elearning project e-Learning for ENT (ElefENT), run by the British Association of ENT Surgeons. This was launched on 4 July 2012 with 20 sessions.
3. I led the group that put together the programme for Head and Neck cancer sessions for the 10th international British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology, attended by 1200 delegates.
4. I am curently editing the section on "Head and Neck Disease" for the forthcoming 8th edition of Scott-Brown's Otolaryngology, the leading multi-volume multi-author textbook in the specialty in the world. I have now commissioned 80 chapters from an international authorship, planned for publication in July 2015.
5. Developed and run the "Newcastle Head and Neck Dissection Course" for 5 years with an international faculty and delegates. Excellent course feedback and this template used to teach higher surgical trainees.
6. Co-organise Cleveland International Hands on Laser Course for the last 6 years: emphasis is on patient safety
7. Invitations to teach at surgical courses
8. I served as member of the question writing panel for the Intercollegiate exit exam in Otolaryngology from 2005-2008.Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4