Law has been taught at Newcastle upon Tyne since 1923, where it was taught at Armstrong College part of the federal University of Durham.
Armstrong College and the Newcastle upon Tyne Medical School combined in 1935 as 'King's College' and in 1963, the Durham Colleges and King's College were re-constituted as the Universities of Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne respectively.
From 1923 to 1994, there was a Faculty of Law, first at the federal University of Durham then at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1963.
Until 1963 all law graduates in the North East had degrees from the federal University of Durham, but they had read law in Newcastle at Armstrong College or King's College. After that date, Newcastle law graduates took a Newcastle law degree.
In 1994, the Faculty of Law became a department, known as Newcastle Law School. Further re-structuring created a new Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in 2002, in which Newcastle Law School is one of nine constituent Schools.
Then in 2006 the University of Newcastle upon Tyne adopted the style of 'Newcastle University'.